prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  12:04:20 PM  Show Profile
Nini,
Have loved reading thru these posts!! You have asked the questions I've been asking for a few months now?? Duh? Should've known to bring it to the farmgirl forums, lol!!
I am trying to get brave and cut the cable cord??!!!
We have tv/Internet , phone is separate. But the cable/Internet bill runs about 170 a month, most of it tv related. It I cut cable it will save about 90 plus a month!!! Seems like a no brainier? But I enjoy my tv shows and I LOVE my dvr!!!
If I could get a more basic cable and keep the dvr?? Would've already I think!!
Doesn't work that way with our cable company!!! Aaargh!!

I heard about Roku as well as Apple Tv and Qvc has a magnavox streamer . They all pretty much work and offer the same bit I think Roku accesses more channels?
My gkids love angry birds and on some Roku you can play angry birds which is pretty cool!
It makes sense what someone said here that you can watch and access the programs when you want too.....so given that I shouldn't feel my dvr withdrawal right??? Lol!
I know you can access Pandora radio as well which is awesome.

Yes, the 'smart' tvs do what these streaming boxes do!

As for Dish. For me personally? I had the family plan pkg thru dish for several years and loved, loved it!!!!
It was under 40 a month and that included the dvr device. It always worked awesome but I lived in sunny Calif when I had it, so weather factors weren't much of an issue. I looked online and the family pkg still only runs about that price. I believe that pkg has the channels you spoke of plus hallmark and hallmark movie channel which I love!! I would have dish here and was scheduled for it when I moved out of state. But......my complex doesn't allow the satellite dishes anymore.
Sooo......kinda held hostage by the cable company here and it's darn expensive!!!

These posts are convincing me more and more to 'cut the cord'
Either in Apr or May. Now if any of these streaming devices let me acess hallmark??? I would really be happy! But a lot of their movies do go to DVD?

I have toyed as well with downsizing to basic.....but also not all that cheap. I'm going to look into the digital converter box too then.
Does anyone know how well those do in storm states? I'm in tornado alley areas and it doesnt help to lose tv connection in the middle of storm news!

Nini , thank you for posting the info and links you did. So much helpful info here!
Thank you Ladies!

Hooray and good luck as some of us try and move forward and save money!
I know I sure can use the savings!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

http://grannysbirds.blogspot.com/

Edited by - prayin granny on Mar 19 2013 12:11:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  12:36:15 PM  Show Profile
LOL! I know what you mean, Linda - there is so much to consider, and when we started to discuss it here at home, my first thought was, "The Farmgirls will know!!!" :)

From what I can tell, there is a Hallmark channel available through Roku called "Spirit Clips," and it does appear to be free! Here is the link if you'd like to check it out: http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/8679/spiritclips-from-hallmark

As far as DVR service, Linda, you're right: from what I can tell, and from what the farmgirls are telling us, you won't need it with Roku... You just choose the program you want to watch whenever you want to watch it, and it's available! That doesn't count, however, for any local programming on the digital converter. You might need to have something for that, if you're looking to save programs on "regular" television.

We're opting for getting rid of the cable all together because the digital converter basically will take care of whatever we don't get through Roku (and the Play On subscription, which is an incredibly good deal). AND, if all checks out this afternoon, our TV should be able to pick up local channels without us having to purchase a separate digital converter! This is just so amazing to me! YAY!!!!

I did double check to see what download/upload speeds are required for Roku, and it seems our present package includes a much higher speed service than necessary. I'm not sure, exactly, which level of internet we'll go with quite yet. I'm thinking of doing the live chat with their customer service on the Roku website when my hubby gets home so any questions he may have can be answered as well. I am just so excited!

You're so right: I keep thinking about how hard we've worked on getting our finances in order, and yet we're still looking at our son's college expenses coming up in a couple of years, not to mention my husband's retirement... It never ends!!! Every penny counts, even without those impending costs! When I think about all the wasted money spent on our current bundle for phone (which is sub-par, but I won't go there), cable and internet, I get so frustrated. This seems like such an incredible alternative for us! Once we make the change, the monthly/annual savings after switching will be phenomenal! I'm just amazed. I keep thinking there just has to be a catch or something, but our farmgirl sisters' experiences have been very reassuring! I am really looking forward to this!!!

Hugs right back atcha, girlfriend! And a big ol' smacking high-five, too! :)

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 19 2013 12:40:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  12:52:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and I just remembered, Linda - My foster daughter said that the digital converter works about as well as when we used to have rabbit ears on the old TVs as far as weather goes. In other words, crazy weather makes receiving local programming much more difficult. She did say, however, that in good weather, the picture is clear as day - very good! I can live with that. In worst weather, I can always access up-to-the minute updates from our favorite news station online. And like Heather said, there's always the radio. It's not the same, but it'll definitely do! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 19 2013 12:52:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  1:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Nini,
I'm getting convinced and you shouldve seen the smile on my face with your hallmark info. I know it's silly I guess to be addicted to some tv??
But with health issues I can be home bound a lot due to mobility. It's nice to hear something on while doing crafts etc!!

My daughter does have a couple friends out here that have Roku and they absolutely love it. So I've been getting info and checking online for a few months now. But the info here has been above all I've heard before! Just awesome!!!
I think next month will get a DC and a Roku and see how it goes before completely cutting cable. But if it all lives up to expectation?
Will cut the cable tv entirely mid next month!!!

Think of all the farmgirl crafts we can do with that saved money!!!!! Lol!!!

A big high five back at ya Nini!!
Look forward to anymore info anyone else has!
Also, don't know the cost of Roku in stores? But pretty much all models available with reviews on Amazon as well.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  4:03:39 PM  Show Profile
yeah we had dish (I think, something like that) and was paying for the family package, it was only 40 a month and we had life time tivo service. BUT, after a while they went up to around 80 dollars a month, we called to cancel (this was after having it for 10 years) and the lowered the price back down for a year, then it went back up to the higher amount again. That's when we just decided to cancel, in my opinion anything over 40 a month was just too much to justify for tv. But, that was just me.

I will check out the hallmark cause I really like it, however, I will say there is a lot of hallmarkish shows on netflix, as I type this I'm watching Little Men, its a very sweet series. A lot like love comes softly series (hallmark).

I will have to ask DH about internet speed, I do know for sure the cheapest one is not high enough speed though. I want to say we are paying for the medium priced one-not the most expensive but not the cheapest. My DH wanted to start with the most expensive, and I said let's start with the cheapest one that may work for us (which would be the middle priced one) and if it doesn't work we will upgrade from there. So far it's working, and I'm pretty sure it's the one we went with (the middle priced one, which I think is like 70 a month).

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  4:18:09 PM  Show Profile
My internet is 10mbps (I think that's the right letters!). Before my mom died, I got her a Roku box, her internet was slower than mine (maybe 5??not sure) and her Roku worked very well also. We had hers wired to the ethernet cable, mine is wireless (I don't have a cord long enough to stretch from the computer room to the living room). Also if you have Amazon Prime, you can get a good many movies/tv shows included and there is an Amazon channel on Roku. I pay for Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu Plus channels, the cost of the Roku box and the PlayOn lifetime service--all WAY cheaper than cable or satellite!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  4:36:38 PM  Show Profile
Well, what timing! Got my cable bill today, lol!
Internet fee went down, tv went up!!! Sooo, my mind pretty much got made up!

With all that's been said here......and having to pay even more for cable??
Enough already!

Going to get a roku for certain next month!

Farm girl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart

Edited by - prayin granny on Mar 19 2013 4:38:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  5:46:16 PM  Show Profile
wow thank you about play on! We are switching to that! I can finally have TLC back, the one channel I was really missing. Although I was fine with out it, just sometimes would of liked it. WOW I am very happy with what it says. And one time fee and no more. WOW!

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  7:07:35 PM  Show Profile
I just looked at the play on site!!! Oh my gosh!!! That's the absolute final for me! I'm completely sold!!
With play on and with spirit clips I will continue most of the channels I would have to give up.
And play on/playlater has an ok line form of dvr.

Great info that everyone has put out there! Thank you!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  8:39:19 PM  Show Profile
i have medium speed internet. i get net flix on a roku wireless. i watch movies in bed on my lap top and he watches his crime shows in the other room on the tv. works for us.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  08:43:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting this.

My husband and I started dating about 15 years ago, and one of the things that attracted us to each other was that neither of us subscribed to cable TV- antenna and the local ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS were all we really needed of TV.

When we moved here 3 1/2 years ago, we got high-speed cable internet and phone but left the cable TV out of the package. Much to our surprise, we found that if we plugged the internet output into the TV, we got the same channels we used to get on antenna as well as some new ones, but only a few.

Since that time I discovered Project Runway and I would like to watch it. We have a "smart TV" but we find that either on the computer or on the TVs Internet browser, we often have a problem where the download (current week's episode is free) gets "stalled", usually at a commercial, and I have to refresh the page and start over again. SOmetimes I have luck getting to move the bookmark (at a commercial break, naturally) but other times the only way is to start again at the beginning.

Would Roku fix this problem, or would I have the same problem with Roku? (I thought Roku was some kind of alternative medicine massage technique...)

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Mar 20 2013 08:44:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  10:22:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your responses, girls - we're thinking of trying a low-to-medium speed internet to start (with the Roku min. required) in order to see what happens. We can always upgrade!

Excellent question, Brenda! We were just asking ourselves that same question! Girls, for those of you who already have Roku: What kind of lag time do you experience with the Roku? Do you have to download programs to the Roku to watch them - we're not sure, exactly, what streaming is like? Are there commercials, or is the programming commercial-free (I doubt it, but wouldn't that be a kick!)? Anything special you would like to share about using Roku?

<LOL! Brenda - I was thinking how I might change the title post so the girls wouldn't just skim over the topic thinking Roku was something like you thought, or exercising equipment, as Linda and I had thought! LOL!>

So my husband wanted to know would we need a Roku for each TV? He likes to watch baseball (...almost exclusively, year round, and even old, old games - he's killing baseball for me, I'm telling ya!) in the man cave, which frees me up to watch programs that interest me. Right now, we've got a family TV in the living room, and rarely use the antiquated man cave television at all. We're thinking of just purchasing one Roku, leaving it in the living room, and then I would probably be able to watch my programs on the laptop with earbuds right in the livingroom while he and my son watch their game. I don't think we will really NEED a second Roku. My son does have a smart TV, which is also in the mancave (not hooked up to internet), but he rarely uses it. He bought it as a treat for himself with some of the money that he had earned last summer to use for video gaming, but he doesn't do video games anymore. If he wants to use it when friends come over, he is able to get online to watch some of their programs already.. So, I'm wondering how a Roku would benefit his Smart TV, if at all? If we buy the Roku and subscribe to the Play On, he should have access to the different programming through the Smart TV, right? Does that mean someone with a Smart TV wouldn't even need a Roku at all?

Eghads my head hurts.

I'm not buying another TV, either.

My husband also asked me to ask if there is some sort of online programming guide once the Roku is installed so we can see what programs are available? (Kind of like a digital TV Guide.)

Linda - we're going to do it, too! :) Our plan is to disconnect our cable, do a channel surf for local stations, buy the Roku next week, buy the Play On lifetime subscription. If all goes as hoped, then we'll be canceling the cable and phone immediately thereafter. I'm psyched! Nervous about pulling the cable plug, as you said, but very, very excited!

Well, lunch is ready - gotta go before my kid eats mine, too! LOL!

Thanks so much for everything, girls! You truly are the best!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 20 2013 10:44:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  1:33:17 PM  Show Profile
Think of a Roku as a VCR or DVD player. On it's own it's just a electronic device. It really only serves to view things that are available for streaming. Just like a VCR only plays videos, with out a video it does nothing. Roku with out services (even though some of those services are free) does nothing on it's own.

So just like some DVDs are high quality and others not so much. It just depends on the service. Some FREE channels have commercials some do not. It doesn't have to do with Roku but rather the service you are using to get the stream. Netflix because you pay for their service does not have commercials. Netflix is kind of like going to Red box, you click on the netflix channel and there is movies, and tv programs (anything available on DVD that they have bought the streaming rights to), to choose from. You just choose what you want to watch (you can also type in a search for things you would like) and click on play, and it's just like watching a DVD, no commercials, etc.

The other channels are much the same. There's one channel, I think called Crackle, or something like that. It's FREE, but every so many minutes has a commercial.

We have two Rokus, one in our bedroom, and one in my DH's office, in the living room we have a smart tv. We started out with just having one tv, and one Roku, it wasn't till this year we got a second Roku and another tv. (my DH has his roku connected to his pc). So we only have two tvs.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Mar 20 2013 1:34:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  4:46:37 PM  Show Profile
Our lag time really depends on how our internet is working, if we're not experiencing any problems with our internet service, lag may be just a few seconds, when we are having issues it can take about 30 -60 seconds, but not usually. We have 1 for each tv. The few channels that do have commercials, the commercials are usually only about 30 seconds and there's not a ton of them, usually just 1 so it's not that bad. Most channels though do not have commercials. You have the Channel Store which lists all of the currently available channels, then you can browse through the channels to see what's on but there is not a tv guide type thing that you can browse through.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  04:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
we have had roku for 2 years now, got rid of our $150 a month satellite bill. WE are happy with it. We usually never have lag time with the roku but we usually cant use the internet when watching something. We bought a weather program that gives us the local weather and it was a one time fee of $5. Yes they do have spirit clips and yes it is free. We do still watch stuff on the computer for channels that we cant get. They have come out with the Roku 3 it is $99 and it has a headphine jack on the remote! WE just bought the cheap $49 one and we love it, now it is only wireless so if you want to plug it in to your internet you cant get the roku lt.We do pay for netfix and huluplus.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!

http://homesteddinmomsworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2013 :  6:22:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure what my internet speed is, but I got the lowest cost one. A friend of mine at church is the head-smart-guy (a genius with everything electronic) at our internet carrier. He said that I only needed the lower plan, that it would be enough for roku. And I have not had a problem.

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2013 :  10:33:36 PM  Show Profile
ok our roku has always been great for us. We bought play on, based on your bringing it up and us looking into it. The internet is still working for it, but it takes a GOOD pc to run it! We're having to run it through my DD's pc, my DH and I's pcs aren't strong enough for it! We have lap tops though, cheapie ones at that. We want to get desk tops some time soon (they are just stronger then most lappies all the way around), and we have a feeling that it will work really good with a desk top. But, it sucked my laptop dry (brought it to a screaching halt! And still would not play).

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2013 :  08:49:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for this information, girls. I'm counting the hours 'til we can make our purchase and switch! :)

Thank you, Shanda - that is very helpful! I'm definitely going to try a much lower level for the internet. We were discussing why we had increased it to such a high level in the first place (aside from the bundle discount we received), and we realized it was because we were running our computer, tv, phone and our son's games from it all at once, and everything was freezing on a regular basis. We have eliminated the games in January (one of the best decisions EVER!), and with the switch, the tv and phone will be off the service, too, so it only makes sense that we wouldn't require such a higher volume processing service! I just really don't want to have a huge lag time on the internet because some of our Son's school CDs actually connect to the internet. We'll see! :)

Heather - thank you so much for your post, too SO important to know!!! We actually had to replace our computer last year, so I'm hoping we'll be okay with the Play On. Do you think that the internet speed might be affecting it, too? I'll let you all know how it goes on our end...

My hubby spoke with a couple of the guys he works with. One never even had heard of Play On and was supposed to buy it last night - he was VERY excited about it. It'll be interesting to hear what he has to say about it. The other guy had just received his Roku in the mail yesterday and was very anxious for the end of the day to come so he could go home and hook things up! I'm looking forward to hearing his report tonight when my hubby gets home, too! :)

Our son did try to download local channels through his Smart TV, but he couldn't figure out how to do it. I'm going to have to take a look at it. I've never worked with a Smart TV before, and he doesn't know where he put his manual (kids!). We were going to use his TV in the "man cave" as the "guinea pig" for this, but looks like we'll have to use our HDTV instead. No biggie - its all good!

I just can't wait! It won't be long now!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2013 :  10:17:06 AM  Show Profile
I thought it may be internet speed, but with experiments I am pretty sure it's all about the pc strength.

We did NOTHING on the internet except try to run the Play On through it (once we seen it wasn't going to work) and it just wouldn't play through my pc. So then we tried it through my DD's pc, and we can use the phone (ours is a internet phone) be online (on 5 difference devices-my DH on his email/games, my DD on her something her gma bought for her I think kindle-skyping with her, my other two watching netflix in another room, and me on my pc checking email, and using the Play on, and it worked fine! No lag!).

Play On has to be ran through a PC to watch on your TV....I think that's the main downside of it. Personally I would NOT watch netflix through the Play On, cause you don't have to have a PC hooked up to the roku to watch Netflix, I would just watch netflix directly through the roku....less strength is being taken. Same with Hulu and anything else you don't need the play on for.

Good news I have been able to watch several shows I missed on local channels. Bad news....a lot of them I really liked on TLC only have clips, no full episodes. But, all in all for the cheapie price that it is for a life time service...I think we will get our money out of it.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2013 :  7:23:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, Heather! I can't wait to play with it!

We double-checked and we are not locked into services or service dates with our provider, so we ordered the Roku and are looking forward to having it in hand and set up sometime next week! I'm sure I will have a ton of questions at that point (LOL!) - I hope that's okay!!! :)

I am so excited. We're going to try it before cancelling the cable and phone service, but if all goes as planned - BINGO!!! I can't wait!!!

Thanks so much, again - you all have been extremely helpful!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2013 :  7:47:59 PM  Show Profile
Uh oh... Do any of you know how I can get the NFL games live through Roku or online? My hubby will PERISH if he can't watch the Steelers at home in the comfort of his own chair... I don't see anything anywhere, but maybe you all will know. I think we can get it on the local network, but I'm not sure...

Eghads...

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  10:53:57 AM  Show Profile
GOT IT!!! Super easy set-up, LOTS of channel options... Picked up Play On, just started Amazon Prime free trial subscription (which has a TON of fee movies and tv programs!!!). We're still playing with it, but ohmygosh I think we're going to love it. Have to get ready for Easter (company coming), and then plan to play with it for a bit tonight. Once we get the local channels downloaded, I'll probably pick up the MLB subscription for my hubby, then we should be good to go and we'll be canceling the phone and the cable! YEE HAH!!! Thanks SO much for all your help girls - you really helped so much - and you helped me SAVE money!!! WOO HOO!!! I'll keep you posted, but probably not til after the Easter holiday!!!

A Happy, Blessed Easter To All!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  12:18:00 PM  Show Profile
I just picked one up. BEST BUY had the Roku 2 XS on sale. I can use this model on both my HD and non HD TV's. I already have Amazon Prime and I'm checking out other opions. Getting out from under a 200+ Cabl bill sure will be nice. I really paid attention to what and how much we watch and I've come to the conclusion I've been givin money away to cable for years!

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  1:25:44 PM  Show Profile
NINI! If there is no NFL channels or games to watch on Roku, I, too, shall perish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me know..........
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  1:54:24 PM  Show Profile
LOL! I'm still looking, Marly! I think we're just going to have to count on the local tv networks. We are having trouble downloading the digital channels/networks to our HDTV, but that's my fault... I didn't realize that my hubby took down our antenna! DUH! I never even thought to ask. Our foster son told us not to buy a digital box, though. He said that if we just get a set of rabbit ears for our HDTV we should have no problem getting the local channels... That's probably going to have to wait until next week because we're a bit tied up for the next couple of days. I'll keep you posted, I promise! :)

My son is NOT impressed with the PlayOn at all. At first glance, I'm not liking it so much, either. They do have a 30 day unconditional money back guarantee, though, so I'm going to let the guys play around with it a little bit tonight while I'm cooking and then we'll decide. To get the UMBG, you have to email them, so if we do cancel, it ought to be interesting. It's all so new that I hate to just jump to conclusions, but I don't want to waste money!

We are loving Amazon Prime, totally. It doesn't have ALL the programs we like for free, but we can do without them. There are so many other programs we enjoy that ARE on there for free, though - especially documentaries and Star Trek (yeah - we're Trekkie-ISH! LOL!) - and TONS of free movies. If we get bored, it's our own fault, that's for sure. One thing we are really excited about is being able to catch some programs that we hadn't had the chance to see in the past - in their entirety from episode one to the end! That's pretty cool!

We did do a quick search on HuluPlus an have found quite a few shows on there we're interested in, but I don't think we really need to subscribe yet - we'll see.

The weird thing is not being connected to the "right now" television as far as news, etc. But to be truthful, we really can watch all of that online if we need to. It will take a little bit of getting used to, but I really think once we get the local stations up and running, our experience will be complete.

Heather B - you are absolutely right - we have been giving money away to cable, too. NO MORE. We don't NEED the cable, it was just convenient. I honestly think we spent more time channel-surfing through a bunch of junk than we did actually watching programs. We were paying for all this stuff we just didn't watch or need. I'm so good with this change right now, I can't even begin to tell you. It's weird - very different - but I like it! What I really am loving is that we have experienced virtually no commercials at all! WOW am I loving that!

And Heather (Magnolia Whisper) my hubby loves reading the paper, so you're right about that, too - he can always read the paper. It's a whole lot quieter that way, that's for sure! ;)

Well, back to making dinner - just thought I'd share our first experiences with you!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do You Have A Roku? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page