True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  2:20:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!

My husband's family is Jewish. We don't tend to get together terribly often as a family, because one of DH's brothers lives in NJ with his family, and another lives in MA near their mother. My MIL is not a big cook, and last year she was living in an apartment. Anyway, last year I had a spur-of-the-moment idea, and thought it would be nice to have a family dinner/Seder at our house (especially since we are really the only ones with a dining room that can accommodate his whole family!).

Now, I am no expert on Passover proceedings, so tried to keep it relatively casual by making it a potluck, not trying to structure it too much, but I did reserve some readings to try and get a sense for how everything should flow during a Seder. And luckily his family has a sense of humor and were fine with the "flexible" arrangements! His mother brought the Seder plate and some readings, which we all took turns reading at different points. My brother-in-law's family brought salad, and my parents brought lots of wine! It was so fun.

So this year, I thought I'd offer to host a second annual Passover dinner, again doing potluck. I have mailed out invitations with dish requests (basic stuff like the salad, dessert, wine; and MIL has been asked for the Seder plate again).

I would love to hear your suggestions of other dishes to serve. Last year we got some books from the library and made great versions of matzoh ball soup (low-fat and popular!), a pumpkin kugel, tsimmes, and I must have made some other main dish - I forget what it was!

I am not sure whether the NJ branch will be coming, and if so, they will be bringing our 5 year-old nephew. I am not sure whether he has ever done a Seder...any suggestions for Passover-related activities that kids would enjoy? (My niece would also be coming - she is not yet two years old.)

Thanks!!!

Farmgirl Sister #4527
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
- Mae West

Evening Breeze
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Tracy
Maple Falls WA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  8:54:22 PM  Show Profile
My children love finding the Afikomen and taking turns asking the questions during the Seder. There are a lot of printable coloring and puzzle pages that are easy to find as well with a Google search. While the traditional Seder is quite long, the whole purpose of it is to teach the children about our heritage. My two youngest are 5 and 6. We do use some nicer dishes but still keep everything quite casual so that when the juice spills or the bitter herbs get spit back out ( ;-) it's not a big deal. We also make our own matza and the kids love being involved in that too. Your menu sounds great already. I always do roast chicken as well.
Go to Top of Page

Evening Breeze
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Tracy
Maple Falls WA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  10:19:57 PM  Show Profile
My children love finding the Afikomen and taking turns asking the questions during the Seder. There are a lot of printable coloring and puzzle pages that are easy to find as well with a Google search. While the traditional Seder is quite long, the whole purpose of it is to teach the children about our heritage. My two youngest are 5 and 6. We do use some nicer dishes but still keep everything quite casual so that when the juice spills or the bitter herbs get spit back out ( ;-) it's not a big deal. We also make our own matza and the kids love being involved in that too. Your menu sounds great already. I always do roast chicken as well.
Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2013 :  2:55:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Tracy! Yes, last year we hid the Afikomen and did a hunt between the main meal and dessert :) I'll have to look into the printable activities and coloring!

Farmgirl Sister #4527
- Mae West
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2013 :  8:50:18 PM  Show Profile
How about a nice brisket? Use red wine, olive oil, herbs and honey as an overnight marinade, then roast. The drippings make a terrific gravy. Potato latkes would be great, and baked springtime veggies like asparagus, sugar snaps, maybe a salad. Even though this is a casual seder, you want to try to observe the most basic kosher laws -- no dairy with meat dishes, separate meat/dairy courses and so on. Or just leave dairy out entirely and let the good times roll :) I love blini for dessert. You can have a choice of fillings and sauces, even make them ahead of time. Some people think they're too heavy, but everybody seems to like sherbet.
Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  2:25:35 PM  Show Profile
Mmm, that sounds, good, Mara! I'll have to see about the dessert - I was hoping the NJ contingent could bring some, but if they're not able to visit I'll have to incorporate that into the menu, too.

Farmgirl Sister #4527
- Mae West
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Passover Ideas/Recipes/Activities? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page