Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Persian New Year, First Day of Spring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Persian New Year, First Day of Spring Next Topic  

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  2:07:08 PM  Show Profile
Tomorrow is not only the first day of spring, but it is also the Persian New Year of 1392! My husband is originally from Iran and every year we celebrate the Nowruz(official UN spelling), Persian New Year. I've written about how we celebrate and the history of it in the past years here. I have given the history of Nowruz before if you are interested to learn more this is the link:
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18793

I have my menu all ready & food bought to start cooking tomorrow. I will be busy spending the entire day preparing for our meal. Later we will be exchanging phone calls and Emailing relatives with pictures of our haft sinn and exchanging New Years wishes. I am making the following for our holiday meal. All of this to Nush-e Jan (Nourish our soul).

Cheese & Egg Dip with Middle Eastern bread (Nan-o panir-O-tokhm-e-morg)
Potato Egg Casserole (Kuku-ye sibzamini)
Saffron Steamed Rice (Chelow ba-polow-paz)
Spinach & Orange Meatball Khoresh (Esenaj-o-porteqal)
Almond Delight Cookies (Qottab)

The entire Nowruz Celebration is 13 days long! This is not a religious holiday, but a national one that has been celebrated for over 3,000 years. My haft sinn (symbolic altar for spring) has been all ready these past few weeks. I am really looking forward to tomorrow night's feast. The exact time of the equinox in IL is 6:023 a.m.

Here is a YouTube link from a few years ago about the Nowruz in Iran:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh0jhYc3Wqg&feature=player_embedded

Happy New Year and Spring to all of you farmgirls!
Dawn in Pr

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Mar 20 2013 06:10:38 AM

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  2:28:34 PM  Show Profile
Happy New Year to you and your loved ones, Dawn! Sounds like you have a wonderful celebration planned! Enjoy! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  2:35:51 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, Happy New YEar! I watched the video clip and it was all so beautiful and interesting. Your menu sounds quite delicious and I would love to taste each item. Enjoy your 13 days of festivities with family!! It all sounds like such a lovely way to welcome spring and the season of new growth and renewal!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  05:57:36 AM  Show Profile
Happy New Year! Don't forget to write the year as 1392 on your checks. Hugs back to both of you. I am going to start preparing our meal. First off, the cookies. I have my priorities.

I hope everyone has a wonderful spring day. It is a frigid 13 here in IL, but I have a bouquet of tulips on my haft sinn, a warm kitchen, and lots of fresh herbs around to get me in the mood!

Happy Nowruz!
Dawn in Pr

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Mar 20 2013 06:11:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  08:54:19 AM  Show Profile
Happy New Year to you and your family,Dawn! I love it that you share this information with us! I remember it from last year.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  3:35:03 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Judith. Happy New Year & spring to you & your family too! I try not to repeat myself too much, but this is my 7th Nowruz on the forum! Boy does time go by quickly.

Sahar (Dawn) in Pr
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Persian New Year, First Day of Spring Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page