Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Hawks on the Feeders Next Topic  

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2013 :  1:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Does anyone else have trouble with hawks attacking the little birds on the feeders? How can you keep the hawks away?
Terri

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2013 :  3:37:43 PM  Show Profile
Terri: The hawks do that on our feeders. Their hungary, also! They keep chasing all the smaller birds away. Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2013 :  5:42:33 PM  Show Profile
it's the circle of life, you're feeding all birds in a sense, if you don't want to feed the hawks, don't feed the birds

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2013 :  5:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Marly and Tina, thank you. You are right. The hawks are beautiful creatures that need food too. I have tons of sparrows and finches but only one hawk.
Thanks for putting that into perspective.
Terri
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2013 :  5:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Tina,
I used to have a friend who lived in Quartz Hill off Ave L.
She is gone now but I enjoyed seeing the poppies in bloom when I visited her. Are they out yet?
Terri
Hemet CA
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2013 :  6:09:31 PM  Show Profile
no poppies yet, and with lack of rain, we may not have a good showing this year...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  04:33:55 AM  Show Profile
I get the hawks too. My little birdies seem to be surviving his company though. One morning I was making coffee and looked out the dining room window...and there was a hawk watching me from my lilac bush...which is next to the house. He scared me at first..but, when I went to go get my camera he had flown away. I can tell when a hawk is around..the birds will either freeze right where they are at...or just disappear. I am not overly concerned with the hawk hanging around. I know they take the little birds...but, I have also seen them grab mice and snakes (in the warmer months), and fly away...I appreciate that:) Erica

Farm Girl #2731
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  1:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for sharing, Erica. My neighbor is the one who saw the hawk attack yesterday and the birdies are all back today so I guess that is just the balance of Nature.
Terri
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Hawks on the Feeders Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page