Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 We have to move by the end of the yr or sooner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic We have to move by the end of the yr or sooner Next Topic
Page: of 3

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  1:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Yes I am so sad. I was hoping to buy the property we are living on by the end of the yr. So many things have happened to slow us down or stop us. Loosing jobs...sickness....car problems....opening a new business... And the man who owns this property will not sell it for what is appraises for. Now I have a job in Chattanooga that is part time and I am still running the salon I opened. My DH is now at home full time and taking care of the place and the dogs while I work. We are looking for a place that we can survive on and afford. We went to a really nice place yesterday. It is a real log cabin and it has 9 acres. But it also has MANY trees...no pasture...and the road to it is AWFUL! The road needs to be graded and then put something on it so it wont wash away. My DH says it will cost about 2,000.00 to do that. Then the lady that has the property she is willing to take 6,000.00 down and we lease it for a yr..Then buy it. We will have to change our plans of having cows. But I can have chickens, bees and a garden. And DH says I could have a green house...Now I am sure there are other property's but I want to live near where we are now.
Thanks For Reading
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  1:57:49 PM  Show Profile
Deborah: I will keep y'all in my prayers. I hope y'all find the perfect place at a good fair price. Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  7:20:13 PM  Show Profile
Good luck in your quest Deborah. I hope that you find the "perfect" fit for your needs and budget.
Think positive,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  7:34:38 PM  Show Profile
I will send a prayer up for you Deb.

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  8:09:35 PM  Show Profile
Praying for you and trusting that you will find a beautiful new place that you can love!
Hugs Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  04:50:41 AM  Show Profile
I will keep you in my prayers that you will find a great place.

Hugs,
Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  05:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Just a thought- but ranchers around here have their cows out it trees all the time... you might have to feed more hay at first, but once it is your land, you could sell the trees and someone would come out and cut and haul them away, or you could cut them for wood heat if you have a fireplace/wood stove. Also if the problem is more that there are bushes under the trees- goats make awesome ground clearers- you could get milk goats first and have them help clear out the bush. Then you would have a dairy animal and said animal would be helping to clear a place for the cow you would like too! I think the log cabin place sounds great! Is it close to where you work?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  06:57:34 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I told my DH that and he seemed to be ok with goats. Then not so much work for him..lol Thanks for the idea of having a cow around the trees never heard that before. Yes the house is not far from my work in town but the drive to Chattanooga is still the haul..But you have to do what you have to do..But the question of the road is the major thing my DH is thinking about..But it sure does deter buyers...Ladies I thank you for the prayers...they are much needed...
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  9:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Deborah.what you are describing sounds like heaven to me! I would love to find an old log cabin with lots of woods around for privacy.Everyone has their dreams and I'm sorry yours has been taken away...I truely do understand,more than you know. Hugs! may you find your dream soon <3
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  05:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Deborah- have you talked to the owner about doing the road maintenance before you buy as a condition of the sale? I hope it works out for you! Maybe you could find someone that would like some restricted logging rights in exchange for doing roadwork or something. Then it would be a win-win for you so they could help thin the trees in what you want to be a pasture plus you get a road! :)

And if it isn't this place, something else will come along! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  06:38:30 AM  Show Profile
Sounds great Alee....We are going to continue to look. We have a few months still..Thanks for all the prayers and your input ladies...
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  08:12:29 AM  Show Profile
Alee when you or anyone else you know cleared trees for pasture do you grid the stumps?

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  08:22:33 AM  Show Profile
Prayers for you and this situation! I think that new place sounds amazing! My question - the place you are currently on, you said the seller won't sell it for what it appraises for. As in, it appraised for less than what he wants to get for it? I don't know what the rules are in GA, but in MN you can't get a loan for more than what a property appraises for. I don't know what kind of money he's talking (or if you were planning on paying cash) but he'll have a hard time selling that to anyone if he wants to sell it for more than what it appraised at.

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  2:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I agree with Alee some of the prettiest pastures around here are the one with trees, plus it provides shade in the heat if the day.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  06:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am not sure what you mean by "grid the stumps" but there are a couple of ways to deal with stumps that I know of- ignore them for a few years and let them ground rot, try to dig/chop/burn them to ground level, or there is a powder/chemical you can put on them to get rid of them. I forgot what it is called but I have heard that it is pretty amazing

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

rubyleesmom
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Colina
Homosassa FL
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  09:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Send rubyleesmom a Yahoo! Message
I can totally sympathise with you.. our little farm is right in the direct path of the "proposed" extension to the Suncoast Parkway here in central Florida. We absolutely love it here as it is a beautiful piece of property. But unfortunately when, or if they ever finalize the plans they will be using emminent domain to yank it away from us :-( We have looked at other properties just to see what is out there but financially we could not even dream of moving until our land was purchased. It makes me so sad! Best of luck to your family in finding a new place!
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  8:49:58 PM  Show Profile
Amy, the same thing here too...They wont loan anymore than the appraisal. But he wants 160,000.00. And it appraised at 93,000.00...but he wont budge on the price. But I think the log cabin might be it. My DH talked to the owner again and she liked us and she is wanting to sell to us...

Thanks again Ladies...
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  9:08:33 PM  Show Profile
Well we are 1 step closer. The people that have the Log Cabin are willing to take the price down to 95,000.00. this is doable for us. Now to get a title search and an inspection. GOD is so good...

Deborah

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  11:16:14 PM  Show Profile
oh hen once you start raising chickens you won't miss not having cows...you will grow to love them so much....a greenhouse sounds nice also there & the bees...if the cabin has a wood stove will the owner let you cut down some of the old bad trees to use?...plus I bet with all that wooded area you will have some wonderful 4 legged friends come around to visit, see cool plants & so on...I know its not as you dreamed but I have a feeling you will grow to love it once you & hubby get settled...Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  05:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is fantastic news! Good luck!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  9:25:39 PM  Show Profile
Well tomorrow they are doing an inspection on the log cabin. I am so nervous. hopefully everything will go good and if there is nothing really bad then we can get this thing going...I am so excited about the way God has allowed us to find this and let things happen the way they have. it will be a very busy end of the year...but a wonderful way to end the year. Pray ladies!!
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  05:31:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Deborah-I hope and pray everything goes well. My heart is with you on this!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  05:39:44 AM  Show Profile
Alee thanks so much...it really means a lot.

Go to Top of Page

desperadosdream
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Malena
Versailles Indiana
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  11:23:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh Deborah, I know the frustration and sorrow you have gone through these past months and I do hope this will work out well for you. My husband and I are in a very similar situation right now but we have no savings at all. We found out yesterday that we have to leave our home of 12 yrs, I brought my baby home here. We don't know where to go or how to afford it if we found it. I'm ready to just pack it in live in a hunting shack somewhere myself but he won't even consider doing anything of the sort until we can get back on our feet and save a bit. He says the kids would hate us and they would drive me crazy in close quarters and that he would worry too much about us as he drives a semi and has to be gone much of the time. I am also willing to rent a country pc of property where I could garden etc or have a few animals in another state or whatever..when u feel like you're at the bottom what does it matter the location but he s not really wanting to do that either.. I'm just so torn up. This is not a good time of year to be having to up and move and especially having no clue why, where to go or how to manage. I just keep crying and praying seems they go hand in hand. I am so happy for you. While I do my crying and praying I will add a prayer for u and hopefully a tear of joy that God is good and this too shall pass.

Luck, Love and Happiness
Malena
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  8:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Malena, I am so sorry for what you are going through right now. But God always a a reason for what we go through. I am sure He will reveal what it is soon. I will be praying for you and your family. As I say that I want to thank you for your prayers for me. And Our prayers have been answered. We closed on the house today and we will be moving into it in 30 days. Now the real work comes...PACKING. I just want to say thank you for everyone's prayers and thoughts...You ladies are the very best!!!
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  9:21:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm hoping with you that things work out.

I'm not sure I understand about the cows and trees. Cows have done fine in forests around here. Even when the brush is heavy, those baby's can go through just about anything. Once I was chasing a mama-cow and her calf and she did a 90 degree left turn and just disappeared in the brush! It looked like a solid wall of brush, too!

My pasture right now is full of trees, about 100 if not more. I have horses and they run and play in the trees (young geldings).

About the stumps, hubby burned ours out. Wait till late Fall or a good snowfall and plenty of moisture so you don't start a forest fire. Pile up your cuttings on top of it and light it off. The cuttings will burn down and the stump will burn for a couple of days. But it will disappear neatly.

My website:

http://twohorseswalkingdesigns.com

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/twohorseswalkingdesigns

Pinterest:

http://pinterest.com/goneirish/

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic We have to move by the end of the yr or sooner Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page