Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Possible Move to Virginia - HELP!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Possible Move to Virginia - HELP! Next Topic  

FourSeasons
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Lizton Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  7:42:47 PM  Show Profile
I need some help - and thought the best thing to do is to reach out to like-minded people. There is a possibility my husband is being transferred to Virginia and would be working at the Dulles Airport. We currently live in Indiana and have a small farm with goats, chickens, large garden, etc. etc. So to my Virginia farmgirls - I need help! What are your recommendations on the best place to live within 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to Dulles, we need some land too, we are not rich and live simply, and have kids (the human kind), kids are involved in 4-H and love living on the farm. Need good schools (although we do homeschool now), and would like to live in a community that is welcoming to 'outsiders' from the north who are looking for a place to call home and would love to be part of a community! We are looking at Warrenton, Marshall, Winchester, The Plains, etc. I have read so much and need some personal opinions. Any suggestsions are welcome....thanks!

One day at a time!

bananachicken
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Ginny
Ohio
USA
67 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  8:39:04 PM  Show Profile
We just moved from Ashburn Va last year. IAD was in our backyard! Definately stay west!!!! The best part about that area is that most people are from all over and therefore everyone is an outsider! The one thing I will say is land and housing is extrememly pricey there so you will want to move out as far as you can, however, traffic is horrific, and even if you live 5 miles from IAD, it can still take you an hour to get there. Access to the toll road will be your best friend. It is an expensive toll road. Around $5 each time. I worked in Reston about 5-6 miles away and taking the toll road was a difference between 10min and 1 hour in traffic sometimes. So, it was worth it for me. And they have frequent flyer so to speak programs. I love love love and miss the vineyards and farming there. You will have a great time. Homeschooling is really big there and there are some wonderful groups. I didn't homeschool, but knew people who did and they talked about it being a wonderful area to do so in. Public schools are fabulous there too. Please feel free to email me with any questions you might have about the area and if I can help I would be more than happy to!

"I should be having tea right now."
-Lady Annalía Elisabet Catherina Tristán Llorente
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  5:07:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi, We had a colleague that lived in Leesburg...more quaint and in the countryside but the entire area is very pricey. If it were me, I would choose Leesburg.
Best to you.
Annie
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  07:48:42 AM  Show Profile
Melissa! I live about 9 miles outside of Warrenton in Fauquier County, VA. You absolutely are welcome to contact me -- email me and I'll give you my phone number. We should meet!!! I'm delighted that you'll be adding to the farmgirl ambience around here. You'll find lots of like-minded women to be friends with.
Go to Top of Page

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  8:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
Hi, I'm from Winchester, moved west in '04. Most of Winchester is too "big city" minded for me, it doesn't seem like home anymore when we go back to visit. (All of our family is still there) If you're looking in that area try Clarke County - Berryville, Millwood, Boyce, Cross Junction etc. More small town minded and a little closer to Dulles. Berryville is a good ride to Dulles. Rosemary is in a good area too, I like Warrenton. Good luck to you. We're thinking about moving back to the area also. New grandson that is way too far away. Maybe I'll see you there!
Go to Top of Page

36paws20hooves
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Danielle
Weirsdale Florida
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  3:37:46 PM  Show Profile
I just came back from staying with my aunt for a week in Falls Church, Va. It took about 40 min to get to the Dulles. I TOTALLY agree with Ginny. I can not believe the pricing for housing. Good luck it is a beautiful place and DC was soooo fun. While I was there I started a container garden for her and the family. She is so excited :)

I'm so busy I don't know if I just found a rope or lost my horse!
Go to Top of Page

wandrinbear
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

beth
az
29 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2012 :  05:38:37 AM  Show Profile
As the other gal said, that area is very pricey, especially if you want a bit of land. Beautiful area but also very "big city".
Keep us posted and good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  05:37:12 AM  Show Profile
Try Cumberland, Maryland...it's close enough to DC and VA and has good farm land, better prices.

I go to Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival there every year (in Howard County). Lovely area.

~miles of smiles~
Peg Graham
http://unforgettable-peggraham.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2013 :  5:00:48 PM  Show Profile
Checking back to see if you moved successfully?

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Possible Move to Virginia - HELP! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page