Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 High Triglycerides - help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic High Triglycerides - help Next Topic  

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  4:39:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls! I thought you might be able to help me out here. My triglycerides are high, and the medicine my doctor wants me to take is $84.00 a wack. For me it is too much money!! And I take so many pills now, I hate to add more chemicals to my body. I am going to look for a book that cross references herbs with medicines, so I won't kill myself -he,he- But my goal is to maybe get off some of medicines and replace with herbs. I cannot find a herb doctor like Kristin has in Ga. Wish I could fly there to see hers. Any advise, suggestions? Thank you all so much for helping!!!!

I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  11:07:09 AM  Show Profile
Get the sugar out of your system. High triglycerides are usually a result of a diet high in sugar content. If you drink soda pop, replace it with water. And make sure you are drinking at LEAST 70 ounces of water every day. It will help.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  3:06:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh thank you Phyllis. I needed that reminder about sugar. My blood actually was tested in mid Jan. - right after eating all those holiday yummies.... I will keep a curb on it. I seem to have high triglycerides even when I am on a low fat diet, go figure!! Maybe my body naturally has high triglcerides??? Anyway, thank you for responding to me.

I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  3:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Try to follow a Mediterranean-style diet as much as possible. I've been eating this way (mostly) since my college days when I lived in Spain. I'm blessed with normal cholesterol, although it might be as much genetics as diet... One thing that I've noticed is that in Spain they don't eat any corn or corn products (they reserve corn for animal food) like corn syrup, it is much harder to avoid here. Use mono-saturated fats like olive oil instead of corn oil or shortening. Drink wine and coffee, eat dark chocolate, in moderation!

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/the-mediterranean-diet

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Mar 02 2013 3:57:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  3:37:36 PM  Show Profile
In addition to the above suggestions, you might want to add fiber to your diet, especially right before any fatty foods that you eat. Also check the side effects of any medications that you are currently taking--that could be contributing. If you do find a book about drugs and nutrient depletion (Clell Fowells --probably spelled that wrong has an EXCELLENT book about that and a book about drugs & natural alternatives, I highly recommend both) that can also help to shed some light on the problem. I am not sure right off the bat if triglycerides correspond to any specific hormones, but usually if any of the cholesterols are out of whack there is a hormone issue at hand. Red yeast rice is probably one of the best natural supplements to use for cholesterol problems (it is what statins come from without all the nasty side effects).

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  5:21:10 PM  Show Profile
Rachel, I've been taking Red Yeast Rice capsules for over a year now. I did not want to start on the statins. I went back after six months to check my cholesterol, it was perfect.
I first checked with the doctor because he knew I wouldn't want to take the statins. He said try the RYR first. My sister also takes it.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  04:15:05 AM  Show Profile

My farm girl sisters,

You all have really given a lot of good information on this topic. I personally think it is always better to take natural products if possible.

Hugs,

Judy

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  4:34:19 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much for the input. I am currently on a statin, and really want to get off it. I was hoping I could switch to red yeast rice capsules, and see if it helps me. I am such a sweet eater. I'll do good for a couple of days, then I find myself eating and eating sweets again. I can't seem to discipline myself very good.
Rachael: thanks for the tip on these books. I was trying to look for a book like that, because I am afraid to try natural things in case they interfere with what I am currently taking. I hope I can eventually switch over.
Marly: how many mg's of red yeast rice do you take?
I also take fish oil - 1400mg's 2 x daily. I hope this will nail it. Love all you farmgirls here!!

Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  6:18:54 PM  Show Profile
My husband had high triglycerides and high cholesterol and the doctor ran thyroid tests, turned out he has hypothryroidism. He was low in both T-4 and T-3. After getting his doses on target, he then had him take two doses of T-3 and wow cholesterol is now nearly normal. I also had high triglycerides and they discovered I was not converting any T-4 to T-3. So I was added T-3 to my hypothyroidism treatment and my cholesterol and triglycerides are now normal. I would have thyroid function tests done.
Best to you!
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  6:07:16 PM  Show Profile
I had very high triglycerides a few years back when I had low thyroid and did not know it. Anyway, my Dr put me on Lopid which is an older drug that is not a statin and it brought down my triglycerides as well as my Cholesterol. I know it is still a drug but not a statin and is very cheap to buy as well. you might want to request this drug instead of the statin you are on. I was put on it because my DR said it was better for bringing done triglycerides.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic High Triglycerides - help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page