Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Do You or A Family Member Suffer From Diabetes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Do You or A Family Member Suffer From Diabetes Next Topic  

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  09:04:36 AM  Show Profile

Do you or any of your family members suffer from Diabetes? Are there nutritional or herbal supplements that really work to help in the treatment of this?

Hugs,

Judy

"Country Girl at Heart"...

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  09:17:03 AM  Show Profile
I have a VERY VERY unusual type of diabetes 1.5 (it's not type one, it's not type two, it's a little bit of symptoms of both, but more type one then type two).

I was on VERY high dosages of insulin for a long time. I started doing Richard Simmons Food Mover. His food mover windows equal the same calories/nutritional stats as the ADA's Diabetic Exchange program. But, the Food Mover Program kind of told me how many of each of those exchanges I needed a day. If you need to lose weight, I did, then follow the card for your weight, if you don't need to lose weight, you would follow the card that is appox 500 more calories then the one for your weight. (that would be maintaining weight calories).

Of those windows/exchanges you can really eat ANY thing, you just can't go over them. However, I personally chose to try to eat the healthier versions. IE for my starch exchanges, instead of white bread, or crackers, etc I would choose high fiber 100 percent whole grain (the 100 percent is the important part there) breads/tortillas, etc, I read, and I read, and I read the nutritional facts on packages, and I bought a Netzer book, that gave nutritional information for EVERY thing-from fruits and veggies (Which aren't labeled with nutritional stats! lol) to restaurant foods.

I also bought a food scale, cause I can tell you you can be much more precise with weights then you can with measuring cups, especially trying to measure something that is odd shaped, like strawberries! Trying to fit strawberries in a measuring cup, is just hard! lol Weighing things like apples gave me a idea of the size of apples I needed to be looking for at the store-what would be a fruit serving! I weighed EVERY thing!

I also used JoAnna Lund, Healthy Exchanges recipes. Again I would often substitute her bread choices in the recipes with the higher quality ones-like 100% whole wheat bread/hamburger buns etc

I also ate unlimited amounts of non starchy vegetables. Cause the fiber really cancelled out most the calories, and carbs.

I also started walking and joined Curves. I was off insulin with in a year, and lost 100 lbs with in three years. I had been on nearly 200 units of insulin a day prior.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  09:20:46 AM  Show Profile
oh and I shot for 35 or more gms of fiber a day! I did this for years-over 10 years, till two years ago, when I moved half way across country. I think I have been in a depression (a lot of things have happened in my life in the past two years). Any way...I'm trying hard to get back on the wagon. I never thought I would fall off cause it had truly became a way of life, but between miscarriages, two more live birth children, a cross country move, etc etc, I guess it was too much for me arg.

But, right now I am really really trying hard to get back up again!

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  09:28:44 AM  Show Profile
oh and I also ate six times a day, 3 snacks, and 3 meals a day. When I didn't do this, even when I ate the same calories, it didn't work as well.

I also made myself eat the same exchanges every day for each meal. and I stuck to a schedule. This helped my body know at 9 am when I ate breakfast, it was going to get this many grams of carbs, this many grams of protein, and this many grams of fat. And I think that made a huge difference, cause my body knew what to expect, and was able to start producing the insulin itself for those times. The only danger in this is if I was late eating, I would get VERY low blood sugars, so once you start the schedule you must stick with it. But, I think that was major in getting off the insulin.

Now this does not mean, I ate the same thing every day. Just the same exchanges.

IE for Breakfast, I would have 2 protein exchanges, 1 starch, 1 Fruit, 1 Fat.

That could mean 2 eggs, 1/2 cup oatmeal, butter, & 1/2 banana OR it could mean 2 oz of turkey, 2 slices of low calorie high fiber bread, teaspoon pb, & small apple. OR 4 eggwhites, laughing cow cheese, spinach, onions, 1 western mini bagel, butter, 12 grapes. OR, OR, OR! lol So it wasn't about the same foods, but the same EXCHANGES. And the same time every day.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Apr 02 2013 09:29:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  09:31:38 AM  Show Profile
oh and I have lots of info on my blog -

http://www.heathersrecipereviews.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  2:23:15 PM  Show Profile
I have type 2 diabetes. I refused to take shots. I did not want to do that the rest of my life. The doctor said loose 40 pounds, and I did that in three months. I see the Diabetic doctor once a year for test. For the pass 8 years my numbers are perfect. I don't eat a lot of sugar. I do love chocolate, but eat it in moderation. I can go for months without chocolate, but when I want it, I can eat lots of it! LOL
I watch my bread intake, also. The biggest thing for me is that I walk, at least five days a week, at least 50 minutes a walk.
Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  2:43:51 PM  Show Profile
Yes walking is very healthy.

I will say though that shots are not the worst. I think there is a bad stigma with insulin and shots. If I ever had to be on diabetic medication again (which is pretty probable because diabetes is a progressive and aggressive disease) I would chose shots again in a heart beat. Oral medications all cause heart disease (this isn't me being a crazy health food nut saying this, it's just if you read ANY of the oral medications on the warnings side effects will include stroke and heart disease. We read this on my grandma's box of diabetic medication, and right away went to the doctor and asked for him to switch her medication, to one with out these side effects. He said ALL oral medications for diabetes have these side effects. We thought he must just not be educated correctly so we spoke to the pharmacist who confirmed what the doctor said. Insulin is for the most part natural and doesn't have side effects like that. The biggest side effect of insulin is low blood sugar-but if you eat correctly and take your shots correctly that can be controlled pretty well.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  2:46:58 PM  Show Profile
oh and most people no longer do shots now. While I was on insulin my insurance was not paying yet, BUT now most insurances pay for one that you only stick yourself once every three days (a insulin pump) it will also take your blood sugar regularly and does a lot of nice things. I have one now, but am currently not needing to use it. But, even the shots really don't hurt like people would imagine. The biggest problem I had was skin degrading. But, the pump would of helped that a LOT!

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  5:44:49 PM  Show Profile
Nopal (prickly pear cactus) is great for blood sugar maintenance.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  7:05:31 PM  Show Profile

Thanks girls for all the information.

Hugs,

Judy

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

BarnHeart
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Autumn
New Albany IN
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  5:36:12 PM  Show Profile
I've read that cinnamon is a good way to regulate sugars. Diabetes is rampant in my family, and I am tested (A1C) every year. My baby brother was diagnosed with type 1 (juvenile diabetes) at 18 months old. I will say this - find something -- whatever it is, and make it work for you. I grieved in January at the 3 year anniversary of my brother's death. His diabetes went uncontrolled (his choice) for too long. Though he always gave himself his shots (twice a day), he didn't control what he ate. By the time he matured enough to realize his mistakes, it was too late. He went blind, had to use a wheelchair, and ended up on dialysis 5 days a week for a year. and then he went to sleep and didn't wake up again. He was 27 years old.

Please don't think I'm giving you a scare tactic. But please, please take this awful disease very seriously.

I love wool! Visit my website at www.heartfeltwool.com to see my creations!
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  3:11:33 PM  Show Profile
I am having kidney issues and would love some insight as what to do. I am seeing an endochrinologist and probably getting ready to be referred to a Nephro. I have heard most docs just wait for your kidneys to shut down more and go on dialysis. I want to be proactive. Anyone have advice and prevention?
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  3:56:32 PM  Show Profile
pretty much take it easy on the proteins, and hmmm something that starts with CH....like for instance spinach has it, and it's hard for your kidneys to filter spinach and high protein foods. Don't avoid them completely, just make sure you are eating them in moderation.

Your dr should be putting you on a ace inhibitor if you have kidney disease=that means the blood vessels going to your kidneys are compromised or dying. The ace inhibitors are to lower blood pressure (or keeping those blood vessels going to your kidneys calm, clear and alive.).

For a while there was a theory of all diabetics should be on a ace inhibitor to be proactive about kidney disease, but most drs only believe in them if you are having actual kidney or blood pressure problems.

One thing about ace inhibitors very dangerous to unborn babies and can cause birth defects, thankfully my kidneys were under control by the time I was pregnant so I was off them.

Also if you have regular to low blood pressure and are put on them be prepared to have super super duper low blood pressure-mine went down to 80/50 and has never went back up...the first few months I felt dizzy and light headed till I got used to it. Previous to ace inhibitors my blood pressure ran 110/70.

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Do You or A Family Member Suffer From Diabetes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page