churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2014 :  07:20:09 AM  Show Profile
A lady on this forum does wonderful restyles. (Making old clothes into new ones that fit.) She is known as Bearclover and has an Etsy shop and has been featured in Altered Couture magazine. I am certain that she can take those sentimental clothes and make them into the clothing you desire - even the wedding dress. As far as going to a professional consultant, I believe that it would be better to use your own critical eye and those of close friends both male and female. That's what I do. My husband is my best fashion consultant. And anyway, you can clear out your own closet.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.

Edited by - churunga on Jun 20 2014 07:24:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2014 :  08:28:17 AM  Show Profile
Brenda -

Here's my thought: You can always return a "bad" purchase, but if you pay someone else for the consultation, that $450 is gone forever. Keep the money, buy what you love. Unless you need this consultation for professional reasons - for example, if you're running for office or going to be on television - I would not suggest you do it. You are a wise and wonderful farmgirl. I'm sure ultimately you will know what's best for you. :) If you're not REALLY sure about your body type and colors, there is so much out there on the internet that can help you educate yourself for a little more guidance - but do you really need it after all these years? And I'm sure you must have a trustworthy friend or two who would LOVE to go shopping with you and help you decide! Besides, those body type and color things are so general. You still have to take into account your personal tastes and what makes you happy, you know? I think one of the great things about retirement is that you've finally come to the point that it is ALL about you from now on - no more listening to people's opinions, no more being moved to please others or make impressions or make purchases based on society's trends or mandates. Be happy and trust yourself. Nobody knows you better than you. You know what makes you happy; you know what "skins" in which you are most comfortable. Relax, smile and treat yourself and a friend to a spa day or something special with that $450!!! You DESERVE it!

Hugs and love -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  06:22:44 AM  Show Profile
I love this thread! I too wear alot of dresses. And I love them but like you Ninibini I tend to change when going out somewhere. Dresses are alot more comfortable to work in, and I typically wear a apron with pockets to hold my cell phone, and tools...lol. The aprons also allows me to gather eggs, and tidy up the house by storing and carrying things that I pick up downstairs that belong upstairs, until I get there. I gathered the courage to run to the hardware store the other day with a dress and apron on.
My sister has always wore dresses. She even wears them on the back of her husbands motorcycle, tucked under appropriately. :)
In today's world it is OK to be different. When I grew up, it was not ok. I look better in a dress than someone with their pants to their knees, someone with dreadlocks, or someone dressed gothic. Maybe we can start a new trend by wearing dresses. :)
My issue is when working out of doors this time of year, even with powder my,chubby thighs stick together. Boy cut undies are not long enough. I have looked for a pattern for petticoats. Something a little longer for these chubby thighs. I may cut a couple pair of long underwear off and try that. :) Thanks!

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  06:39:12 AM  Show Profile
Ooo! Ouch! It suddenly got extremely hot here yesterday, Patty, and OMGoodness - going through the same thing. I started wearing my jammie pants under my dresses, which are super lightweight, do a great job, and nobody is the wiser. Thank God for the pool! ;)

Take care!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2014 :  11:30:40 AM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
I love wearing dresses. Now that I am back in California and have lost quite a bit of weight-75 lb over the past year and a half the skirts and dresses are shorter than they used to be and thats fun. I just feel more feminine in dresses. I do like my jeans for when its cold though, and if I am at home you will always find me in a 1940 style apron. I have at least 20 of them.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2014 :  11:56:56 AM  Show Profile
Wow! How did you lose 75 lbs?

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2014 :  12:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
I think the combo of being in love and happy and bikeriding. It sure feels better. I do have moreto lose but getting there.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2014 :  3:46:36 PM  Show Profile
That is amazing Jenny! Can't wait to hear more from your new life!
I've lost about 25 lbs and need to lose another 25.
Slow and steady.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2014 :  4:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
Thats great Lisa! Slow and steady is best for sure! I sure can find clothes that fit from thrift stores easier now- love that!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  07:52:22 AM  Show Profile
Kudos to BOTH of you! SO encouraged by your successes! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Joanna
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Ontario
Canada
94 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2014 :  7:41:33 PM  Show Profile
I was raised to wear skirts as a Biblical principle, and I still wear them. Even if I didn't believe in it for religious reasons, I just can't imagine wearing pants. I used to wear pyjama pants, but I can't even stand them anymore. :) I have never found my skirt to be a hindrance. I work outside, ride my bike, and do the same things as anybody else. People always remark on how nice I look, and I know it is only because I am wearing a skirt. :)

Joanna - Sister #5965

http://roomsandwindows.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2014 :  06:38:31 AM  Show Profile
I just told my sister about a month ago that I decided I'm going to wear dresses only from now on. Not for religious reasons (although there was a time in my childhood when that was the case) but just because I'm more comfortable in them. They're easy! You just throw one thing on. Done. I love it! I have always worn primarily dresses in the summertime only but this winter I was introduced to fleece-lined tights which has just changed the winter-dress wearing game for me.

As a related story... my friend was having a birthday party for her daughter, and her daughter was obsessed with horses at the time. She told her mom that she was going to ask me to get her this toy horse for her birthday. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was outrageously priced. Something I probably wouldn't have spent on my own child, let alone my friend's seven y/o daughter. Anyway she asked her why she thought I would buy her this horse, and her daughter said "Because she's rich!" She asked her why she thought I was rich (because I AM NOT! lol) and she said "Because she always wears those pretty dresses!" The logic of children is sometimes hilarious.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

May my heart be kind, my mind fierce and my spirit brave. - Kate
Forsyth

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  7:05:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini - I'm right there with you...honestly, how can those jeans even be comfortable with so much of the bottom hanging out - not to mention unsanitary for the next person sitting in that chair. I've almost given up on jeans because I cannot stand wearing the lower rise ones - I feel like I am constantly checking to see that everything is staying covered - I'll probably wear the ones I have that sit at my natural waist for as long as they will last.

I'm almost ready to go back to dresses - those older style house dresses are sounding better all the time....or it could be that these days, comfort and function are ruling over fashion for me...LOL

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Estle Schipp Farm: Celebrate the Hobby Farm Lifestyle

EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

https://youngliving.org/starschipp

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  9:47:36 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, don't spend a lot of money, but I would spend a little on a consultant for colors. The person should be going by your skin, eye, and hair color, it will make a difference (huge) in what things look like on you. For instance, blues, yellows, greens do NOT look good on me, I look good in primary colors, and brights on the others-like bright orange, or hot pink, etc. I look dead in yellows, blues, and greens. It changes my coloring completely.

On styles though watch, what not to wear, I learned a TON! I have also learned what looks good on me and doesn't by trying on a TON of clothing and really looking at it on me, not just if it can get on my body! lol Does it compliment my good points, and reduce my not so good points. I look good in princess seams, things that go in at the waist, etc... straight legged pants if I wear pants, longer dresses if I wear dresses, etc.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2014 :  12:39:08 PM  Show Profile
Just found this thread - My experience with wearing skirts/dresses all the time started when my first son and I were studying the Pilgrims (15 years ago!). I saw those pictures of the women and men and how differently they were dressed and I started wondering why. As I wondered I decided to buy a few dresses and see how it felt to wear them all the time. I LOVED IT!!! I felt like I had gone back in time (which always seems so romantic to us in retrospect) flowing around the house and yard in my long skirt/dress. I found I could do everything I had always done in pants and adopted the style as my own. I have had many of the experiences others have reported and think others' responses are pretty interesting. The only trouble I have had lately is cleaning out my chicken coop (too small to stand erect and I keep stepping on my skirt). I recently inherited this job as my oldest just started college. I have decided - for my safety and the longevity of my clothes - that I should wear old pants while I do this job!

As I work around our yard, I wonder what people think as they see me in my long skirt and apron! What a sight I must be! I just keep walking and working, loving the way my skirts sway as I go.
Go to Top of Page

jkstidham
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jill
LaPlata Missouri
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2014 :  9:29:26 PM  Show Profile
Last year I began a challenge in which I had to wear a dress or skirt for thirty days (not the same one each day). It was eye opening! When I completed the challenge I gladly pulled out my jeans and t-shirts thinking they would be just as comfortable as I remembered, but I was so wrong. After a few hours of running errands in my jeans, I went home and changed into a nice dress. Jeans and t-shirts are no longer my first choice for comfort clothing. Now I grab a dress. If it's cold out I put on a pair of fleece lined leggings to stay warm. My favorite dresses are the ones that can span all four seasons with just a little change in what is worn to accessorize them! I know that when I wear a dress or skirt I am more aware of how I present myself, I glide instead of walk, stand a little straighter and smile a little brighter. People pick up on that and treat me differently when I wear a dress then when I wear jeans. I don't think people even realize they do that. In the end a person needs to wear what makes them feel good and smile.

May your life be filled with many blessings,

Jill
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  06:54:11 AM  Show Profile
DRESSES WOOHOO !!! I have wore them for oh...about the last 25 years and before that when I was in School,,we could NOT wear pants....now I wear them for EVERYTHING...even riding my horse...I was in a cult that wore dresses for absolutely everything,,,I guess that still carries over,,,but, I do feel more feminine ...just my opinion..THANKS !!!

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~*Terri*~~
Life is too short, it is just a vapor, live it like you wont have another minute with the ones you love......
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  10:49:44 AM  Show Profile
Patty your post made me laugh out loud! I can be found in a dress or skirt almost completely ... unless I am on the motorcycle !!! Then I put on a pair of jeans :) I happen to love the feel of skirts and dresses, and I just love tights !! I don't really think much about what someone else might think about that. That said I think we need to love our bodies as they are. If we need to be more healthy then work on that but we were made to be all shapes , sizes, and colors !!! We need to appreciate who we are. Have fun and be comfortable in whatever you choose to wear.

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Wearing Dresses Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page