JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  08:56:16 AM  Show Profile
hi girls, anyone out there with some funny sayings? to share! one i heard once is>>>> colder then a well diggers behind!!! however u want to say that one lol~!!! tared and feathered! we used to ask mamma where she was going when she was dressing up, and she'd say goen crazy wana come? we really thought that's where she was going tee hee!!!? there were some funnies from the elders! anyways thought this would be an interesting topic for a giggle jo~

i thought love was all you needed? courage is needed too!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  11:06:29 AM  Show Profile
"That worked slicker than snot on a doorknob". My grandpa used to say that..ew!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  1:10:30 PM  Show Profile
when I was a kid and us kids would get too close, my mom always used to say "Move over, I am not your PLP" and when we would ask what's a PLP she would say "Private Leaning Post"

Don't know that it's humorous funny, maybe strange funny.....anyway your "goin' crazy" remark was another one she used to use....

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Oct 14 2006 1:11:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  3:17:37 PM  Show Profile
that is funny brenda! another one i thought of too, was that sticks like sh! poop on a blanket. or too~ they'd say, snot on a mitten, lol!!! this is fun to think back of all the oldies. i will try to think of some more, my dad was a coal miner> passed on at 49 yrs. of age young eh? in 1960, he no doupt had a lot and i was sooo young i don't remember all of them, but my first husbands father had some funnies. he too was a coal miner. well girls, i will get in the old claw tub and scat to bed, oh!! i always say when i want to go to bed, as i have an upstairs here, well think i'll climb the wooden hill, tee hee! good night ya'll! jo~

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  08:30:49 AM  Show Profile
You can put your boots in the oven, but that don't make 'em biscuits.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  09:45:44 AM  Show Profile
My grandma a;lways said, "wish in one hand sh! in the other, see which one fills up fastest"...and whenever my brother or I would say 'gimme' abou anything, instead of replying with 'gimmes don't get' my dad would say, 'gimme died.' lol.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  3:49:12 PM  Show Profile
the saying here was gimme gimme never gets~ lol! that was a funny one too! this is sooo cool, i remember that one about wish in one hand and sh in the other, see what one gets full the most. and then, there was one you'll have to sh in your shoe and punch it. if u didn't get something u really wanted! let sleeping dogs lie! never sooo bad, that it couldn't be worse! that was ma's favourite!!! and it'll all come out in the wash! gee i have to think of some more! later jo!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  4:02:30 PM  Show Profile
I had a hunter friend who always said, "kill the closest snake first."

Peace
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  09:06:53 AM  Show Profile
good one jp. i am trying to think of some more. i am sure there are alot of them out there eh? jo~

Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  07:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Here's one i tell my lil guy when he says something he shouldn't.....hush your bucket. lol
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  07:17:09 AM  Show Profile
My son-in-law just worked on my neighbors car and she asked what she should do now and he replied "drive it like you stole it." She thought that was funny. a dear friend of mine used to say when asked how are you --'fine as frog hair' or 'happy as a clam at high tide'.
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  3:56:31 PM  Show Profile
another saying here is sick as a dog, and that's as easy as sh----g of a log lol~ and another one is it's so cold it would freeze the b---- of a brass monkey lol! gee, there are alot of them eh? jo~

Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  6:25:56 PM  Show Profile
My grandmother has alot of funny sayings. But there is 2 that always get me. One is when she is running to the bathroom she will say, "I gotta go, I cant hold my liquor"
And the other one is when something doesn't go right she says, "now ain't that the squirts"
LOL! Those just crack me up everytime. She is 85 and it makes it even funnier because you don't expect her to say that.
lilpunkin
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  09:46:59 AM  Show Profile
"I love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck!"

"It's not big enough to swing a cat in here"!

"Did you plan on being that stupid or did it just come to you naturally?"

"What is taking you so long? Are you waiting for an engraved invitation?"

"When pigs fly..."

If you give a man a fish, he can eat. If you teach a man to fish...he won't be at work tomorrow!

In response to "How are you doing?"
"Hell has frozen over and I believe I have fallen through the ice!"

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  3:16:59 PM  Show Profile
my first hubby would say must have a twin on one person could be that stupid. haha!! he had some funnys too. jumpen like a cat on a hot tin roof. and if my dad didn't like the music he'd say that sounds like a skeloton dancing on a tin roof. another one was, two kernels shot a cob, or three bricks shy of a load. don't know where they all come from honestly. sawdust between your ears was another one i heard, and use your head for more then a hat rack! lol, jo~

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  04:48:24 AM  Show Profile
My mother used to say "'Mean to' don't pick no cotton." She was from the South. Also, "Uglier than a mud fence," "Had a face like a shovel," "they get along like peas in a pod." My daughter's one to say stuff in reference to pretty girls in her college town like "You can't swing a dead cat and not hit one."
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  04:57:33 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann,

Your mother's saying reminds me of one I picked up somewhere and used a lot with my girls whenever they said "I can't!", "Can't never did anything."

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  10:38:25 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, your daughters are lucky! You'll have them thinking.

Another that's used a lot around here is references to getting hit with a stick. Like "He got hit with the Ugly Stick" or "She got hit with the Cancer Stick."
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  10:25:34 AM  Show Profile
It's funny that all over this country of ours we have basically the same sayings. They must go back to Adam. My uncle used to say when we would pester him about things..
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies,
Keep you mouth shut and you'll catch no flies.

Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  2:18:34 PM  Show Profile
My mom was full of funny sayings that came down from her farm family. Here are a couple:

You are smarter than you look. That is a darn good thing.

I would say to her "Mom, I want.....(something too expensive) and she would smile and say "People in hell want ice water, too."

Oddly, I never said either one of these to my daughter!

Peace

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 28 2006 2:20:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  2:30:22 PM  Show Profile
"I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole". (Avoiding a topic)

"I'll have to stir that pot with a long handled spoon". (think it over with some distance between you and "it".

"Five men and a mule COULD get it done but all it needs is one woman tellin' the man what needs doing!" (Southern Gran...)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  2:44:35 PM  Show Profile
LETS SEE.
There was--- sometimes purt-en- near is good enough.
Then there was- Grandma, am I pretty? If you act as good as you look you will be ok.
The most important of all was when things were not going right or etc. etc. Grandma always said , WELL, NEVER MIND. and THAT TO THIS DAY HAS MADE ME NOT TAKE EVERY LITTLE THING SO SERIOUSLY.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  5:22:59 PM  Show Profile
1) A really mean person was said to be "weaned on a pickle"

2) As nervous as a cat under a rockin chair

3) My Grandpa would always say, "Don't monkey with that", meaning to stop messin with something.

4) If someone had bucked teeth, my Grandpa would say, "He could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence"!!!

I'm sure I'll have lots more to post later.

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  03:29:34 AM  Show Profile
here's another one i used to hera it's darker then a dungeon in here! or darker then the black hole of calcutta! what ever that meant? lol! there are alot of them isn't there! oh and, there's more then one way to skin a cat! jo

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  11:06:22 AM  Show Profile
My grandfather always says, to the person who is blocking his view of the TV, "You make a better door than a window."
And to the one who is practicing an instrument, "Do you know how to play that song 'Far, Far Away'?"
My husband's family used to say of overly generous person "He would give away his a**hole and sh*t through his ribs."
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  09:50:48 AM  Show Profile
yeh i remember that saying about giving away the a hole and sh through the ribs my mom always told me i was like thta lol. funny later jo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic funny sayings Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page