True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  04:52:52 AM  Show Profile
Farm gal friends,

Help me out please. Moving oversea soon----want to put in a baggie all the ingredients minus the apples to make a nice apple crisp to impress the in laws. Can you Martha Stewarts of the farm help me----I really really appreciate it.

Thanks for any input.

Beverly Gill

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  06:16:32 AM  Show Profile
I got this recipe from the Neely's on the cooking channel. My family devoured it. But it calls for maple syrup and lemon juice.

4 Granny Smith aplles, chopped up
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup pecans, chopped
3 Tbls. flour
2 Tbls. maple syrup
1/2 lemon, juice

Topping:
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar
1'4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cin.
6 tbls. butter.

Mix apples with other ingre. put in dish. Put topping on.
Bake at 350 for about 35-45 minutes.

This is the best apple crisp I've ever had.

BTW, where are you moving to?
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  11:16:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kristin,

the ingredients look great---anyone else with ideas.????

My husband and I are retiring to India.....a bit slower pace of living then here. I have lived there before , so I know what I am getting into. I will have time to entertain---something I never had time or energy for here.
Have a nice Columbus Day.

Beverly Gill
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2247 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2247 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  11:36:44 AM  Show Profile
I know fall is here when I get apple crisp cravings! Here is my very favorite recipe:

Cut up enough tart apples to fill something about the size of an 8" by 8" (or thereabouts) pan
1/4 cup water - sprinkle over the apples

1/2 C white sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 C flour
1/4 C oatmeal (not cooked!)
1/2 C butter

Mix until well blended and crumbly. Sprinkle over the apples. Bake covered at 350 for 1/2 hour, uncover and bake another 1/2 hour. This is most excellent served warm with ice cream.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  11:51:24 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
i make a crisp every month for a community potluck and if i don't bring it, there are several people that are upset! there is NEVER any to take home... no matter how many or how few people are there, it gets devoured! and the great thing is that i put all the dry ingredients in a baggie and take it with me to prepare on-site!!!

in a large storage bag (need large for room to shake and mush the stuff around) combine:

1 cup of flour (can use whole wheat, plain but have never tried rice flour, soy flour, etc)
1 cup of brown sugar-packed
1 cup of rolled oats (or steel cut.. whatever you prefer)
1/2 to 1 cup of your favorite granola (this is my secret ingredient addition... in the past i've used a ginger snap granola that adds a nice layer of flavor to the finished dish... also good to use a cranberry pecan granola)
ground cinnamon to taste (depends on how much you like cinnamon)
optional: sometimes i add additional chopped nuts for a heartier dish... pecans, walnuts, almonds, etc
seal the bag and shake to mix dry ingredients well.

when you're ready to prepare the dish, peel & slice apples however you wish.
stir in granulated sugar (1/2 - 1 cup depending on sweetness of apples)
pour or arrange apples in the pan.
put 1 stick of butter (don't skimp & use margarine) in the bag of dry ingredients and microwave until melted (don't seal bag with butter in it)
take out the bag (careful, it might be hot), seal and mush until everything is combined and looks like coarse crumbles.
pour over top of apples and bake... 350 for 30-45 minutes or until golden and bubbly.

after typing this out, it seems much more complicated and convoluted than it really is... its quite simple and very adaptable. and i love the "take & bake-ability" of this recipe!
in the summer i have made it with mixed berries (blue, black & raspberries), peaches, peaches & blackberries... the possibilities are endless!
the amount of apples you use depends on if you like more crisp or more apples in your crisp... i typically use a bag of granny smiths for this recipe... and honestly, i have no idea how many pounds are in a bag at the grocery store!
would love to know how it turns out!!!

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com

Edited by - AliShuShu on Oct 14 2008 11:52:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  05:34:17 AM  Show Profile
thanks all for your time in writing your recipes----they sound sooooooooohmmmm hmmm good.

Beverly Gill
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic apple crisp ingredients Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page