MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  07:40:43 AM  Show Profile
Ok, this is more "structural" than "nutritional," but we need to paint our kitchen.

It's white. I get compliments on it.... but I hate it.

It's SO HARD to keep clean! All my cabinet doors have decorative trim that is certainly the best grease trap ever!

I have a grey-ish floor, grey-ish counter tops, a white fridge & dishwasher, but a large black double oven.

So, would it be crazy to paint the cabinets either light grey or black? The walls are white with white trim. I want to keep it bright, but this WHITE is killing me, and with mis-matched appliances, somethings gonna stick out. Would it look weird to keep the cabinet frame white, but paint the doors? I want to get rid of that "grease trap" of a trim ON the doors, but then I'd have to sand them all down, and I'm feeling too lazy to do all that, so it'll probably stay.

I have one window that has white "faux" panes in it. Plus, I'll probably put a valance on top.

I also have some shelves near the ceiing that I put my collection of Pitchers on. Plan to paint those too.

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com

Edited by - MtnGrlByTheBay on Jan 30 2013 07:52:04 AM

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  08:42:23 AM  Show Profile
Erin! Your kitchen is beautiful! But... the three dogs are absolutely adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How sweet they look each on his/her own rug. Makes me smile.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  08:53:42 AM  Show Profile
CUTE dogs photo. Cute person photo. Related to you?
I hate black. I know lots of people love it but to me that just isn't a "kitchen" color. The white is really bright. I think grey would look good. I've always wanted to do a room in grey, green and pink. I saw it in a magazine once a d it was so pretty. I'll bet your pitchers give the room a splash of color. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  09:19:55 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if the gray would be too dreary. I suppose it
would depend on the shade. You don't want it to look
like a battleship! I agree that if accented with the
pink and green that may do the trick. But I do love the white.
I want to paint my kitchen cabinets white soon.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Let all that you do, be done in love. I Corinthians 16:14
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  09:25:37 AM  Show Profile
You can still keep it "bright" and go with color. Personally, I would find the grey/white/black combo a little depressing. Especially for the very traditional cabinet scheme. Think outside the box a bit--light teals, pinks (harness those 1950's!!!!), light yellows go with grey (think butter), and countless other shades. You can even go brighter with a vibrant pop of "English front door blue" My favorite colour with grey, though, is Martha Stewart's signature colour, that lovely robin's egg blue/green. I suggest looking at her color palettes because you can even do taupes and grey greens to pick up the grey in the floor. Ochre's (think Dijon mustard color) also look great with grey. The sky is really the limit--so don't limit yourself!

p.s. your dogs are adorable. I have ivory cabinets and absolutely wish I hadn't done it. With 4 giant dogs who love the mud, I can't keep them clean and they show everything.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Jan 30 2013 12:41:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  09:41:37 AM  Show Profile
I agree with color. A bright robin's egg blue, or a sweet country green would both go well with grey.

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  11:26:45 AM  Show Profile
I agree with COLOR!

I think a robbins egg blue would be perfect! (it goes with gray-floors, black-stove, and white).

Also I would keep it bright with going a little 1940's kitchy! NOT every thing has to be the same color....you could have robins egg blue cabs, with a yellow door, and red appliances! And so on. Look at 1940's-1960's table cloths and such to get a bright color scheme and you will see none of the colors are the same, but wide range of colors but put together it looks amazing!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  11:29:01 AM  Show Profile
oh use a color wheel if you have to, to keep it in the same scheme. IE you want the same brightness of blue as you would yellow etc.

I have this one outfit that a friend of mine said she would never come up with but it works! It's because all the colors are the same "brightness" even though vastly different-it's a hot pink shell, under a lime green sweater, and I wear a bright orange necklace with it. All the colors on paper you wouldn't think would go together but because they are the same amount of brightness they do go together, and it makes a FUN bright outfit, that goes together amazingly well.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  12:49:13 PM  Show Profile
Lot's of people are doing chalboard stuff. I did one small pantry door, but the rest is white. Yes it is hard to keep clean.

The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  7:11:56 PM  Show Profile
You could also go over the cabinet doors with a pretty wall paper or contact paper.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  7:13:15 PM  Show Profile
You can also change out the door hardware

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  7:59:18 PM  Show Profile
No matter what color your cabinets are they are going to get dirty. I have black cabinets and I have to wash them all the time. What about a really pretty celery green on the walls? It would look really nice with the dark gray countertops and your floors. Think on the lines of a yellow green like celery. Then use black rugs and accents.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  8:54:38 PM  Show Profile
You have the perfect backdrop to do something fun, You could do almost any color these days! If you like it, anything goes! For me, I love red in kitchens as the main color. A friend painted her white cabinets black then antiqued them. They looked really cool and I'm not into the darker themes. I think if you like grey and would like to prepare food in that then go for it! Paint the walls, oh and a cousin of mine did feathering on her ceiling in yellow or gold (I can't remember the exact color) but it gave her smallish kitchen a super nice pop of warmth and it made it airy and bigger feeling. You will have to update us with what you decide, I'm sure it will look great!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  10:21:38 PM  Show Profile
A number of years ago, my parents had just the front of their cabinets replaced. Sears did it. It cost a lot less than a total cabinet replacement and gave the kitchen a whole new look. As for gray, maybe go with a teal-gray, which you can find at Lowe's . Good luck!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  03:39:10 AM  Show Profile
I like white! I LOVE white, anything will go with it ... it makes a small room feel big, a dark room feel light ...but there are differemt shades of white.
If I was going to do a gray, I would do a gray blue color, both colors are cool and cold feeling to me but a pretty color done right looks great! Here are a few pretty colors ...

and

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  3:16:11 PM  Show Profile
I think a light grey makes a nice base color and some nice colors to accent it are lilac or lavender or periwinkle and sage. Those are the colors in my bathroom. The tile is similar to your kitchen. I also add a little light sand color. In oil painting it is called unbleached titanium. We painted the walls that color but turned out a little more like a cream yellow but it looks nice like that too. Stark white can make one feel uneasy. It used to give my sleepwalking daughter night terrors. To me too much of it makes me feel like it's eating into my brain. Just not a natural thing to have it in large quantities.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  4:19:45 PM  Show Profile
I love grays. I think you could make very attractive use of that color -- but I wouldn't go with the same gray on walls and cabinets. Try a darker shade on the cabinets, perhaps with one of your accent colors rubbed into the groves, or painted into the deep areas around the central panels, then wiped off (see Teri's second photo above). Or you could stick with the same gray on the cabinets as the walls, but paint those deeper parts of the cabinets with a darker gray and perhaps add a hand-painted spray of flowers/herbs in your accent colors in the center of two or three panels. You can add fun doorknobs, too. Do you have a table in the kitchen? Don't worry about the appliances. If you have touches of white and black in your decor, they'll "go." If you have a kitchen table, you might consider vintage tablecloths and napkins in different colors. You can cycle through your pitcher collection by featuring each of them for a week. And nothing jazzes up a kitchen better than a jug of fresh flowers.
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  10:29:50 AM  Show Profile
Wow, don't we ALL just love interior design! What fun it has been reading your suggestions! I can't remember who exactly said what, but here are my responses thus far...

First off, LOL - "You don't want it to look like a battleship!" (Actually my DH would love this, and seeing as though we work on a naval base, I'd probably get many positive comments... at least, from the men.)

Yellows - yes, I do like the buttery yellows, and we're giving them consideration. I do worry about hte appliances not matching, but I suppose you're right in that, they'll end up going with most schemes. I also read somewhere one time, that some dishwashers actually have a reverse side to that front panel... white to black and vice versa. I keep meaning to see if mine does.

Pink - sorry, I like pink in small doses, and seeing as though I'm the only woman in the family... it's not gonna fly.

Cooking - honestly, I hate cooking, so the color of my kitchen bears no effect on what I'm trying to feed my family. I know that's not all that "farm-girl-ish" but I live with VERY picky eaters, so my menu is less than inspiring. LOL

I do like the green pallet. I'd almost go with a sage, but the dining room is dark red, and I don't think I'll feel Christmasy all year (but maybe I should!).

I like that "wiped off" look too. That would NOT look good with grey though, as I think it'd make it look like a castle. Though I do love the Renaissance, I don't think that's really the design I'm striving for.

Yes, those are my three dogs, and I captured that picture because I thought they all looked like kindergarteners on their "sit-upons." Ringo is our Boston Terrier, Cleo is the Boxer, and the "Shar-Pug" is Doug. Too bad I couldn't get the cat to come in and sit down in the middle of them... now THAT would have been a picture!

The fellow in the pic is my step son. He's mixing up a rub for our turkey in prep for the fryer!

I think what's really my problem is the raised trim on each door. I was wiping off the cabinets just yesterday, and it took forever, and I never did get all the grime off. I really want to just rip those off, but DH wasn't thrilled with that idea. I saw in one spot where the paint was peeling on one of them, and I think it's just plastic. Maybe if I DID take them off, it wouldn't take much to sand them down so there won't be a line in the paint, KWIM?

I was almost thinking of just taking off that trim, but then replacing the look with a stencil. Just somehting little, but something that would make it all less "plain." Hey, and I do like that "contact paper" idea, but I have a feeling, it would end up getting a scratch in it or something, and that would really bug me. It might be a bit much as well, because my kitchen really isn't all that big.

I like blues as well, but the neighboring living room has a "Nautical Americana" theme, so we've got lots of blue in there.

All in all, I think I'm going to think about the greys and buttery yellow a bit more. Really, I think I'd fare best if I went to the fabric store and found something to make a valance out of, and then base the whole color scheme off from that.

It's just that trim.... how am I gonna get DH to support the idea of nixing it?

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  11:34:26 AM  Show Profile
Now... grant it, this is more "modern" than I like, and the yellow is much brighter... but it's a start... what do you think?

http://theveryyoungatheart.blogspot.com/2011/07/yellow-and-grey-in-home.html

(Don't you just love the barn door in the bottom pick? I dig the bath tub... I'd know what it would feel like to be an Apple Jack!)

www.lastlapgang.com

Edited by - MtnGrlByTheBay on Feb 04 2013 11:37:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  12:17:13 PM  Show Profile
I love that, Erin! Yellow isn't my favorite color, but I agree it can look smashing with gray. About your dishwasher, yes, the panel should be -- if not reversible -- removable. An auto paint place could lacquer it for you in any color you want, including "stainless steel." But honestly, I wouldn't worry about that so much. Go with your heart and you can't go far wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  12:22:24 PM  Show Profile

This green is the color I have in my kitchen and dining room. I have black cabinets and black and white floor. I think this color
would be lovely with your gray countertops and white cabinets. If you can remove the trim on yours I would, but it could leave you with
lots of sanding to remove the marks. Did you ever think about removing the doors on the upper cabinets and painting the inside for open shelving?

farmgirl sister #922

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Feb 04 2013 12:24:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  4:59:10 PM  Show Profile
Just a note on the cabinet doors. Ours were the same design as yours. My husband built new fronts out of beadboard paneling and a trim piece and glued them to the fronts of the existing doors. Now they look like the photo Diane posted above. It was a simple fix and they've held up for the last 10 years. (He did the small drawers too.)
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  08:43:03 AM  Show Profile
Well, DH and I have had a lot of fun going back and forth with our "Kitchen Renovation Negotiation!" We have settled on a Light Grey and Buttery Yellow theme and will splash in some black or white accents.

He's open to painting the walls, cabinets, table, chairs, microwave shelf and shelves near the ceiling. Also good with painting trim around doors. Best Part: He's okay with REMOVING the grease & grime trapping trim! I pried a small section of it off from a less conspicuous spot, and it's a combination of wood and plastic. It pries off easily, but it will mean that we'll have to do some sanding on the cabinet door fronts because there's a line of paint vrs no paint when the trim is off.

So NOW... I am having a terrible time deciding which color to go where? At first it seemed easy enough, but when I got home, it got confusing becuase sometimes wall hit cabinet or backsplash hit wall. Suddenly I was quite frustrated! It's probably because I'm very anal about stuff like this.

Therefore, please keep the suggestions coming.
Yellow where? Doors, Cabinet Trim, Walls, Door Trim, Table, Shelves?
Grey where?
Black where? The follwing stays black... the ovens.
White where? The following should stay white... the criss-crosses in the window, the fridge, and possibly the dishwasher.

Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  05:04:28 AM  Show Profile
Still not sure what color should go where?

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  05:35:05 AM  Show Profile
Here is one with butter yellow walls and dusty gray cabinets.
If you do a google search type in Pictures of yellow and gray kitchens. You will come up with quite a few.
I think gray cabinets and yellow walls. The gray is more neutral as a cabinet color. Just make sure you
get a warm toned gray. The cool tones can be almost blue.

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Feb 11 2013 05:36:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  07:18:53 AM  Show Profile
GREAT picture! Thanks!

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grey Kitchen? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page