Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Goat bellies and udders. And some kids!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goat bellies and udders. And some kids! Next Topic
Page: of 2

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  3:51:07 PM  Show Profile

These are the 3 youngest does. All first fresheners. Penelope is first. Then Zarah, then the new doe Trudy.

What do y'all think? I mean, like how much longer?

Kris

This is Zarah. I am all messed up now. The 3rd and 6th pictures are Zarah.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jan 26 2013 8:50:47 PM

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  11:10:17 AM  Show Profile
Penelope looks pretty preggers for sure. She looks like she will have a nice udder. It won't be too much longer for them. I hope they all do well since its their first time.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  2:45:52 PM  Show Profile
hhhmmm, if I had to guess, based on the size of her bag and the size of her belly, the first one, Penelope is further along than the others but still has a month or so. The others look like they're early in pregnancy.

Kristin, I know you know your 'goat stuff'...,I've seen your other posts. Do you not have the exact breed date? Or are you just testing us?

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  5:15:46 PM  Show Profile
I put all the does in with the bucks the 1st of Sept. Arlo the Boer must have gotten Penelope as soon as she went in the gate. I was looking at a picture of her taken about a month ago and her belly looked about the same but her udder has grown a lot since. So I'm sure Penelope will go around the 1st part of Feb.

Trudy, the new doe, will not be too far after her. Not sure about her due date as she is new to me and the people I got her from said sometime in Feb. She has a little udder, like Zarah, but nothing like Penelope. And Penelope is way smaller than both these 2 does in size.

Then Zarah, the black doe, not really sure about her. I was not out there watching them every day. I did see some action from John Henry a few times, but didn't write it down. Her and Trudy are about the same size as far as bellies and height. Trudy will be 4 in April and Zarah will be 2 in April.

No, I just wanted to show off my girls. I am really pleased with them all so far and can't wait to start milking them all. I hope Zarah has udder and teats like her momma, Abby. I love milking her.

SO I will be kidding and lambing from Feb. til June. Babies all over the place!

You're all welcome to put your guesses here. I might do a contest and whoever gets the closest to all 3 will get some goodies.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  5:50:31 PM  Show Profile
i am so happy to see zarah doing so good. the goats are so healthy looking and their hair is so shiny. good job kris. happy days ahead for you.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  9:22:44 PM  Show Profile
I love the two buck names...Arlo and John Henry. John Henry has a certain 'ring' to it. I can imagine you outside yelling, 'John Henry'!!

I know how it is to not have exact dates. I didn't want to breed until this past September but the bucks jumped the fence in late July. I didn't see anything happen, so I went ahead and tried to breed in September, hoping they weren't already bred. Well, we had 8 babies in December....so, they all bred in July. I have 2 does left waiting to kid, so they probably bred later.

Well, according to these pictures, I predict Penelope will kid in mid-late Feb. Trudy and Zarah both seem like mid-March. Your girls are beautiful. You will have so much fun.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2013 :  05:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
i had mine in with my billy for 2 weeks so i know we will be having babies feb 19-march 19..lol I hate it when we look at the bags and think it wont be long when it could be another month yet..lol

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!

http://homesteddinmomsworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2013 :  06:47:04 AM  Show Profile
So, this morning, Penelope's ladt parts are very swollwen and I can put my fingers all around her tail bone. She stands still and lets me rub and pet her all over. There was some hay stuff stuck to her vulva too. So a little action going on this morning!!! I hope in the next few days, she has a few little ones. I hope she has at least twins so they'll have company. Because I think it'll be another month or so before Zarah or Trudy kid.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2013 :  8:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Went out to check on the does just now and found a few new ones. I had put Trudy and Zeeboo in the back stall tonight because I had seen soom goo on Trudy's behind end. And with a full moon, ya just never know. Although it's never happened before. So Trudy was just finishing cleaning them off when I checked on her. She is a Lamancha and was bred to a Boer apparently. She had twins. A big buck that looks all Boer except for his elf ears. And a little dainty doe who looks like her momma but with elf ears too.

I ran back to the house and got a towel and a bucket of warm molasses water. Dried them off really good. Then went and got Trudy some grain so I could make sure the kids had nursed. Got them both back to the right end and they took off nursing. I took Zeeboo out just in case too.

But this afternoon when Trudy was on the stanchion eating, I noticed her udder was really hard. I felt Penelope's and hers was really soft. I wonder if it's because she was about to kid? I went ahead and got a bowl of hot water with pepperment Eo and put that on her udder for about 5 minutes. I jsut hope she doesn't have mastitis. When the kids were nursing, her teats were real soft but the udder was still really hard and tight. Not hot though. This is her first kidding.

So here we go!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2013 :  9:01:15 PM  Show Profile
Twins! Wonderful!!!!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  07:27:32 AM  Show Profile
How exciting! Congratulations on the new additions!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  07:57:15 AM  Show Profile
Congrats! That's great news. I know you are having so much fun. Kidding season just keeps a smile on my face all the time. Can't wait to see pics.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  08:52:09 AM  Show Profile

Trudy and her new kids. The white one is the buck. He's about twice as big as the doe. They are Boer cross. They're doing good so far. They must be getting milk because they are peeing and had poop on their tails. But her udder is still hard, like a grapefruit. I'm going to try to find some alfalfa hay somewhere. And she still hasn't drank any of the molasses water. Abby and Sandy would have already gone through 6 buckets so far. Just strange. I've given her lots of grain and she has plenty of hay too. They are so cute.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  08:53:13 AM  Show Profile
Hmm, the pictures didn't show up. If you go to my facebook page, they are there too. And I'll put pictures on my blog too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  09:24:15 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Kristin on the new babies!!!

Sounds like your doe has a really congested udder. When that happens I do the udder stuff but I also get some pain meds in them to get the swelling under control. If you don't have banamine you can use buffered asprin. Good luck and keep me posted.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  09:39:19 AM  Show Profile
I seen then, would deffinitly say Boer cross.. But they are cute though!! Get some dynomint udder cream it works on your goat and your hands, nice stuff. Apply it in the morning and massage it in well...

Only those with an open mind can learn from ones own mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  10:53:03 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Kristin!
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.nmbarrelhorses.com
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  11:13:16 AM  Show Profile
Your goats look so pretty and healthy. A hard udder can be from CAE but if she doesn't have big knees she probably is just overflowing from milk. Lucky you! Maybe milk her a little to remove some of the pressure then hold the kid up there and see if it will nurse some. The udder may just be too full. Your goats look like they are extremely healthy so it wouldn't be surprising if she is just very full. I always bottle raised my kids, and when I would get a doe real full like that I would have to milk her 3 or 4 times a day, and she wouldn't necessarily empty all the way the first day or two either. Especially a young doe.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  11:21:39 AM  Show Profile
Congrats, again. I'll have to visit your blog to see the pictures.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  4:47:15 PM  Show Profile
Congrats to you Kris!
I hoped on over and saw the lil cuties on your blog. Nothin cuter than babies!
I hope everything is ok with Trudy's udder.

Keep the news and pictures coming...love em!

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..

Edited by - laurentany on Jan 27 2013 4:47:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  5:27:35 PM  Show Profile
So Trudy's udder is small but I can feel the hardness like there's something in there. I have always had to milk my does soon after they kid but her udder feels so different. Very small. The teats are soft though. The kids seem to be getting milk because there are pooping pretty good. I did get the little doeling to drink from a bottle some milk I had frozen from last spring. She drank a few ounces. The buckling is going to town on both sides so may be getting more. They were both laying down when I left.

I gave Trudy a shot of Banamine, some Cydectin, some Red Cell and plain yogurt with honey. I forgot to say that she has not drank anything since she kidded. I brought her a 4 gallon bucket of warm molasses water last night and it's still all there. I took some plain water and she still hasn't drank that either. I did give her too much grain and now she had runny poop. My mistake there. I always do that with my does to help with the milk production. But I had just started giving the new does grain a few weeks ago. So not good on my part. I'll get Kaopectate or Pepto in the morning. And more Banamine too. I hope she'll be ok.

And now Abby looks like she'll kid tonight. I'm going out to check on her in a minute.

Penelope looks like she has some goo going on too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  6:35:52 PM  Show Profile
Busy Busy Kris! You sound so full of knowledge. Its very interesting to read your posts!
good luck with the girls tonight!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..

Edited by - laurentany on Jan 28 2013 2:15:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2013 :  07:57:06 AM  Show Profile
Deborah, don't get too attached. He's headed to the freezer when much bigger. That's where all the Boer cross bucks will be going this year. Sorry. But that's why I bred to a Boer buck this time. Except for the Lamancha does. They were bred to my Lamancha buck for pure kids. They will all be sold. I cannot keep any more does. I just can't. No matter how stinkin' cute they are. I have 8 does and that's enough for the space we have for them.

No new kids last night. These girls have me all messed up on kidding times. They have all fooled me for sure this time. Peleope is huge and waddling like a duck everywhere, but no signs yet. And Abby, last night I thought she was in lobor. But apparently that's the wya she breathes when so pregnant.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  07:08:05 AM  Show Profile

Penelope Jane yesterday. Or Miss Rotunda.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  10:38:23 AM  Show Profile
How cute!
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  4:21:51 PM  Show Profile
She looks ready to pop!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goat bellies and udders. And some kids! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page