Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Can we have a category for barnyard pests?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Can we have a category for barnyard pests? Next Topic  

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  08:43:39 AM  Show Profile
So, since we moved to our new house we have been overrun by stinkin' box elder bugs. Anyone have experience in dealing with them. I just can't stand it anymore, I'm about to go out and buy some horrible pesticide so I can just get rid of them. Not only to they cover one side of my house in the fall when the sun shines, but they get into the house and sometimes so many that I just want to pull my hair out at the end of a day of killing bugs all day in my house. I hate it! Problem is, the spot where they like to congregate in the sun is where my herb garden is and I don't want to spray harmful pesticides around herbs that we're gonna eat. Does anyone know a safe way I can get rid of them?

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05), Bennett (7/11/07), Truman (7/28/09) and baby Graeme (11/29/12)

Edited by - clothedinscarlet on Feb 02 2013 09:28:32 AM

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  09:20:47 AM  Show Profile
I have been seeing those pesky bugs on the South side of my house right beside my kitchen door even right now. And they stink too. I don't know what to do about them. I just take my boot and scrape down the side of the house. That gets some of them. But I just leave them alone most of the time.

When I read the title to this post, I was thinking that is what the Barnyard Buddies thread is all about. All these pesky animals! And I do have some here.

I hope you get some good answers for what to do about these bugs.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  12:10:12 PM  Show Profile
There is a natural pesticide that is made from chrisanthumums. I think it is called baccillus therengensus. I'm sure my spelling is wrong and it's been a long time since I studied about this type of stuff so I'm not 100% sure I am correct on this but you maybe could check it out. Also maybe diatomatious earth. Of course all those things will kill the beneficial insects that pollinate your herbs too but I guess sometimes we just have to. Good luck with it. I think we get those things here too. Are they long and narrow brown bugs that stink with a sour like smell? They are nasty. We just call them wood bugs. They like our old wood cabin. We don't have much of a problem with most bugs here, the winters or the low humidity gets rid of a lot of them.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  12:27:17 PM  Show Profile

This is a box elder bug. They are harmless, but when you wake up with one crawling on you or one flys and lands in your hair, you will understand why I want them gone :(

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05), Bennett (7/11/07), Truman (7/28/09) and baby Graeme (11/29/12)
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  2:20:10 PM  Show Profile
Yup....That looks exactly like what we get her except the color is a little different. Ours are colored a dark brown and light brown pattern and blend in perfectly with the pine and pinon pine trees that grow here. And stink with a bitter sour smell that is very pungent. But ours don't fly very much. I usually smell them before I see them. We only get a few of them at a time though. Problem is no self respecting critter would eat them.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  2:28:39 PM  Show Profile
These ones don't smell at all and they don't fly a lot, but every once in a while one will take off across the room. They do poop and leave a spot on a curtain every once in a while too :/

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Can we have a category for barnyard pests? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page