Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Goat bellies and udders. And some kids!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goat bellies and udders. And some kids! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  8:53:12 PM  Show Profile
Kris, Penelope is beautiful! Very huge, also. Let us know when she delivers. Pictures, please. She has ears! The Peeping Tom goat didn't have ears. I need an explanation here, please. I don't know too much about goats. Thanks, Kris.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  09:28:45 AM  Show Profile
Marly, Penelope is a cross between a few different breeds. Her mother is an Alpine cross (who's ears stick straight up) and her father is mostly Nubian and some Lamancha. Nubians have the long ears that hang down. She is a twin to another doe. Penelope was born naturally polled, which means she has no horns. Most goats are born with horns, which I choose to burn off. Penelope has what are called elf ears. Most Lamancha goats either have elf ears like hers or gopher ears like John Henry, which are just about no ear at all. I don't know why she has elf ears instead of a little longer ear. Now she is bred to a Boer buck and that breed has really long ears like the Nubian too. She these kids will hopefully have some ears. I hope this helps you some. I am always willing to talk goats. So don't be afraid to ask.

And we are getting some snow today and it's very cold. I was VERY happy this morning when I went out to feed that there were no babies, lambs or kids. So now I AM hoping they all wait at least a few more weeks. It's just too cold for babies. I don't know what I was thinking when I strated the breeding in September. Never again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  11:24:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the explanation, Kris. Let us know when the new babies arrive! Can't wait to see the pictures.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  3:45:07 PM  Show Profile
Marly, if you go to my blog, you can see pictures. For some reason, I can't get oics on here right now. But Penelope had twin does and Abby had twin bucks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goat bellies and udders. And some kids! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page