Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Revolutionary War costume pattern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Revolutionary War costume pattern Next Topic  

BStein
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Barbara
Westerville OH
75 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  1:49:21 PM  Show Profile
One of my sons would like to dress as Ethan Allen for Halloween. I encouraged him to dress as a historical figure, but really didn't think of Ethan Allen as being a traditionally-dressed soldier. The photos I have found look like a Revolutionary War officer. Does anyone have experience with modernly-produced period costume patterns? Any suggestions for a manufacturer?
Barbara in OH

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  3:43:20 PM  Show Profile
Thats some kid to want to dress like Ethan Allen....Gotta say I am impressed....

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  10:26:41 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried going to a fabric store like Joanne's? Not sure what the pattern books have right now, but most of the time they have some pretty good ones. I'd check it out!
Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  08:00:07 AM  Show Profile
If you do a search for "revolutonary war clothing patterns" alot of sites pop up! We have experience with Past Patterns, Modest House,Campbells and a few others. My son wanted to be a civil war soldier( after visiting a re-enactment) when he was in pre school and there were no patterns for that so we got a book at the library and he picked what he thought he wanted and I just sort of winged it. The hat was the hardest part but a last minute trip to Good Will saved the day! Good luck with your costume!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

BStein
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Barbara
Westerville OH
75 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  5:15:03 PM  Show Profile
I think the hat IS going to be tough. It's not your "average" tri-tip revolutionary war hat. I'll keep looking and I'll make a trip to JoAnn's.
Barbara
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  2:14:34 PM  Show Profile
If you want a historically accurate pattern, look at Amazon Drygoods (google it). They have a pattern catalog(they carry a lot of the Past Patterns that were mentioned by bramble above) and specialize in historic reproduction items (would probably be a perfect place to find vintage-style apron patterns!!!)...they have a shoe catalog and also a catalog of household goods...really cool stuff!!!

If you just want a pattern, I have found that Simplicity makes the best costume patterns.
Good Luck!
Faith
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  8:32:18 PM  Show Profile
Faith, good suggestion! I had forgotten about them and they do have ALOT of great stuff!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  8:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I found a good picture of him on Ethan Allen here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ticondsurrender.jpg

I think the hat should be okay to make- I think there are Russian style hats that look like that. Hope the costume is going good!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Revolutionary War costume pattern Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page