Page: of 2

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  08:27:12 AM  Show Profile
Do any of you forage or hunt mushrooms? Hunt? Fish?

Before my first marriage, I was an active forager in the north western Washington area. As a girl I read every last field guide and book on natural foods and plant foraging available and had a good grasp on habitat, level of availability of the species and what was scarce and not to be harvested, what was safe to eat and what was not etc. My husband was not fond of my foraging and so I quit. I was young and dumb in those days Now that I'm living in North Idaho, I've decided to give it a try here beyond picking road side apples in the autumn.

I'd get into hunting but I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a cannon ball, so I think I'll try fly fishing instead If done safely with a level of respect for the health of the habitat and level of the plants/critters availability to harvest, foraging is fun and adds to your food stocks, can save money and gives you a depth of knowledge of your local area. I've never learned mushroom hunting enough to do it safely and not bump myself off the food chain but it's something I'm thinking about getting into.We have a lot of puffballs around here and we've picked them when we feel like hunting them up.

So, I'm starting this thread to discuss foraging and our "finds/catches" if we do forage.

Hugs n' cookies =}

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  2:51:38 PM  Show Profile
My husband is a retired mycologist and taught mycology at the University so we are into mushrooms big time. He has led forays here and of course he's always looking for them when he wanders the woods. This has been part of our lives since dating days!

Collect Moments Not Things
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  4:57:43 PM  Show Profile
I hunt for morels! I am also studying "The Forager's Harvest" by Samuel Thayer. It is a guide to indentifying, harvesting and preparing edible wild plants. Can't wait until spring to go out foraging!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  1:02:01 PM  Show Profile
I also loved to forage before I got married! Now that the kids are getting a little older and able to walk on their own I want to get back into it! There is just nothing like wild leeks, morels, crab apples, apples, berries and grapes galore! Plus if you ask neighbors a lot of the time they will let you go and forage their property too :) Never hurts to ask!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  4:31:37 PM  Show Profile
We hunt morrels, huckleberries, and chokecherries. We also look for apples and other fruit at old homesteads. I sometimes pick rosehips to add to jam or jelley. One of my favoite trees is a yellow plum, that ripens early in August. They are about the size of the end of my thumb, really, really juicy and sweet, except very bitter next to the pit. I love them. The tree is about 6 miles from our house, and the only way to it is on horseback, or with a 4 wheeler. There is an old nut orchard about a mile beyond the plum tree. There are nuts I have never seen anywhere else. Love wild foods.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  4:42:32 PM  Show Profile
We went huckleberry picking this year, it was a blast! Looking forward to next year for sure :)

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

desperadosdream
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Malena
Versailles Indiana
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  8:32:05 PM  Show Profile
Hickory nuts and walnuts are the only wild thing I brought in this yr but I hope to do more foraging next yr. Definitely share your knowledge of good books on edibles etc. if you know of some good ones.

Malena
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2012 :  01:07:55 AM  Show Profile
My dad and I foraged for black walnuts this year. Before this, I never really thought about it. Would love to find other things in my area for next year though!

I love having like-minded farm girls! I was so excited about our black walnuts, but no one else "gets it".

It sounds like you all are finding some pretty good treasures!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2012 :  01:10:44 AM  Show Profile
Annika, You crack me up! I was just rereading your post. I'm glad you're not going to hunt mushrooms until you learn more about it. We'd like to keep you on the food chain! :)

Emily
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2012 :  08:06:13 AM  Show Profile
The only foraging I ever did as a kid was for wild blueberries, wild strawberries and apples. I can fish and have been bird ((grouse which we call partridge here in Maine). I take my son fishing and we "grow " wild Maine blueberries. We also look for wild raspberries and blackberries. I don't know if I could honestly shoot a deer but I.suppose if it was that or starve, I'd have to shoot one.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2012 :  11:06:37 AM  Show Profile
My in-laws always gathered black walnuts. We had trees all over that we gathered from, most were in other peoples yards, they were glad to have the walnuts picked up. We shelled them with a hand corn sheller. My MIL spent the fall and early winter cracking the nuts. She put them in quart jars and gave them for Christmas gifts. Most of those old trees have been cut down, people don't want to mess with them in their yards. What I wouldn't give to pick up nuts and crack them with my wonderful MIL.
I forgot that we also pick watercress. There is some growing in our watering trough. I love it in salads and on sandwiches.

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2012 :  7:04:48 PM  Show Profile
We don't have many fruit trees that grow in our south Texas area. But, we have tons of berries and various pecan trees. It's easy to find blackberries growing wild in the woods or even along the roadways. Pecans, figs, blueberries and mulberry trees are plentiful. This past season, I put up about 50 pints of mulberry jelly and 20 pints of brandied figs. YUM!

The Red Bud tree is beautiful and the little buds can be picked and eaten. I think they go best on a fresh salad.

I can identify wild onions but that's about it on small plants. I wouldn't trust myself to identify an edible mushroom.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2012 :  07:04:08 AM  Show Profile
I love the idea of foraging, but living in a city my experience is limited. For a few years, some friends and I were picking wild raspberries for jam in an urban park near the river...but then we started hearing about the city's pesticide spraying program to control mosquitoes. Got to be careful what you pick and where. That said, one of those same friends told me recently that she found a mulberry tree this summer growing in a little niche between two parking lots and made delicious mulberry cordial.

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2012 :  07:54:33 AM  Show Profile
On mushroom hunting. Before Jim takes out people on a foray we have this quote we tell them. "There are old mushroom hunters, there are bold mushroom hunters but there's no old bold mushroom hunters!"

Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  06:41:09 AM  Show Profile
JoAnn,

That saying has wisdom behind it, but it is sooooooo funny! :)

Emily
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  07:09:49 AM  Show Profile
I've been foraging for years from our own land. We used to collect asparagus, rose hips, elderberries, day lillies and other things from the ditches and fence lines. Quit doing that when the light bulb went on about pesticides. Food looks the same, tastes the same, cooks up the same...but, there is that dangerous ingredient I am not willing to put into my family, friends or self on purpose.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  08:05:16 AM  Show Profile
That quote always gets a laugh before a foray. There's a cute one for for telling false mores from real morels. Can't think of it this minute but when I figure it out I'll tell you.

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  6:21:21 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I stay away from ditches too. Great advice!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  7:17:31 PM  Show Profile
We still get lots of clean goodies off our own land though. Black Walnuts, puff balls, morels, black raspberries, wild grapes, honeysuckle, dandelion, lambs quarters,queen anne's lace, fiddle head ferns and lots more. I don't do the watercress now due to fear of runoff from streams. Just maybe a big scaredy cat.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

Edited by - forgetmenot on Dec 30 2012 7:18:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  7:35:30 PM  Show Profile
this time of year starts our big fish-eating time. . .as soon as ice-fishing begins :) We actually were blessed this year as well to have an organic egg farmer nearby give us 24 of her old laying hens to butcher. Lots of work to process them, but good free food. ALSO -- my husband hunts and so we have the venison from 2 deer in our freezer and on the canning shelves. AND -- a neighbor who hunts dropped off 7 rabbits he didn't feel like cleaning (!) -- work for us, but we do consider them a blessing from the Lord. :)

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2013 :  10:34:40 AM  Show Profile
I have always heard that watercress will only grow in unpoluted water.

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2013 :  8:06:54 PM  Show Profile
hmm. Now, you have me thinking. (dangerous territory). I quit picking the watercress when I worried about the asparagus, etc. So, maybe I should get the water of that little creek tested. I haven't looked for the cress in years. But, I could at least check to see if it is growing.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2013 :  9:53:23 PM  Show Profile
We picked some watercress out of the watering trough yesterday, I put it in a broccoli soup. Good

Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  05:38:21 AM  Show Profile
Judith,

I had seen a recipe using fiddle head ferns on Martha Stewart's website and it made me very curious. What do you do with yours and how do they taste? Are they something you can can or freeze?

Emily
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  11:59:36 PM  Show Profile
I really want to start doing this but,how do I know for certain that what I think something is is what it really is? For instance I love morels and hadn't had them in forver,literally...till my son in love gave me some a couple years ago. We are moving(hopefully) to some acreage and I really want to be able to use what may be there as far as wild rasberries,blackberries,morels,various green etc..but,how do I know they are truely safe to eat.Sometimes pictures just leave me unsure,I think it looks like the pic but,is it the same?
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2013 :  06:41:08 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean cj6, if you are inexperienced it can be questionable what to do. It's great if you have books to go by but can still be unsure. Fortunately my daughter took a foraging class in college so that really helped. Knowing someone who can reliably show you what to look for would be great. I was determined to find ramps a few years ago, it took a little searching but once you find some it's so worth it, we LOVE them. They come up about the same time as morels in the spring.http://theforagerpress.com/fieldguide/aprilfd.htm

Farmgirl #522

Edited by - neeter302 on Mar 09 2013 07:01:22 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Foraging Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page