Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 what you know now
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic what you know now Next Topic
Page: of 2

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  06:22:01 AM  Show Profile
Ok dear hens what have you learned that you wish you had figured out earlier when you wanted to have a simplier life?

For me it wasn't the hard work or doing without willingly it was how to explain to others why i was doing what I was doing & getting them to accept that in me without all the arguments & being slammed. It seems for such a strong willed stubborn woman I would actually have to explain myself all those years instead of just letting them have their say & keep doing what I am doing....Now I know all those years I should have just said what I say now..."its what I want to do" & " I enjoy it"...but you know when you are younger you seem to feel the need to justify your actions boy how many hours did I waste having these discussions...lol...Its funny that if I went out & spent tons of money on something no one says a word but if I am hoarding old wood for the coop I get all these silly questions & advice.
Anyway I can't wait to see what you all have done & what you learned now that you have a few years on you....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  08:07:30 AM  Show Profile
Hardest lesson for me was that animals can be a real burden, especially if you aren't ready for them. At one time, I found myself milking 10 does and bottle feeding 16 kids, all just for "fun". I wasn't selling the milk, had no intention of starting a dairy, etc. It just got out of hand as it will do when all the does produce multiples! We cut down to two or three does, sold or butchered the kids, sold the buck (who was a perpetual breeding machine AND impossible to keep penned), and simplified our lives back to a workable level. I've always remembered that lesson, and this was back in the '70's.
I also learned I don't need more than a large city lot to do what I really want. At one time I had 26 acres and I don't think I ever, in 4 years, got the chance to walk the entire fence-line. About a third of it was in boggy spots and deep woods and we never did get to the point of clearing it...too many snakes, ticks, chiggers, etc.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  09:09:49 AM  Show Profile
Oh gosh, I think I could string together a bunch of old handy says here and all of them are something I wished I'd have paid attention to much earlier in my life, Don't judge a book by it's cover, don't cry over spilled milk, don't bite off more than you can chew, don't put all your eggs in one basket, waste not-want not and last but not least, God helps those that help themselves.

I've spent so much off my life trying to justify myself and the way I am to others. Most of my family have passed on now, but my dad and sister still don't understand why I feel the need to make life so difficult when you could buy it all at some shop of grocery store. To some extent, my hubby-hunny doesn't understand why I want a cow, But mostly he's on board
with it all. His family thinks I'm a "crazy hippy", but I just am tired of having to justify myself and I don't try anymore...I have things to make and work to do and they always shut up anyway, when I hand them fresh canned goods

I think the thing that has been the hardest to learn is that more stuff doesn't really make you more happy

Happy Autumn!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  11:14:55 AM  Show Profile
I think I'm learning those lessons right now! Keep things simple stupid!!! I get to much going, do everything on a big scale, BIG dreams but the reality is I don't want to make a business out of any of it and I'd have to to support it if it's big. So I'm trying to keep my animals down to a number that I can handle and that will supply what my family needs. It's hard to do though because when the babies are born....... So right now I have four Nubian does (two adults, two young) and I'm hoping to stagger the breedings so that I get milk more all year round instead of drowning and drought. I have a Boer/Kiko buckling to breed them to so that the babies can be butchered. Maybe I'll sell a few to help pay for feed. I've got my Registered Nubian buck for sale because I'll be to tempted to keep all the does if I don't get rid of him!!!!!! I have him bred to my registered Nubian doe and I am planning on keeping a doeling(s) from that breeding to replace her when she gets older. So yeah, my problem is trying to do more than I can between the livestock, garden, canning, homeschooling, housework, etc, etc.....

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  6:36:30 PM  Show Profile
I have had a horrible time of keepin in mind I don't have to feed the world. I always want to be sure I have enough to cover my family, my parents, my grandparents, and share with friends. I used to spend every second cookin, bakin, cannin, huntin down supplies, goin broke on containers, and continually preppin food for usin in something.

I have decided that my family is all I must make for, any extra can be spread around if there is any. I would rather spend time with my family than to have no time for anything but work.

Life should be lived, not survived!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  09:07:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh Angela love that! yes it is hard to scale down what your doing if you think you have to do it & do it big....last year I did 30 huge field pumpkins for 2 friends plus a bushel of corn.....2 large ice coolers full of pears & bushels of apples..oh & tons of tomatoes also.I made pear sauce canned for a friends baby plus canned pears made juice ect...for weeks I got up & thats all I did..cook,can,wash jars/lids, boil water, wash dishes, shuck corn & on & on...it nearly killed me but I felt I had to do it since others were too busy & I had no job so I could do this for them....This year I haven't done anything but do have a few pears to can up for me....my freezer still have pumpkin, apples ect from last year that need to be eaten......Now I am not saying I wasn't thrilled by what I was able to do but boy was I one tired hen when it was done.....I would still do everything if others asked me to but not on the scale I did last year...big lesson learned there like with you.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  04:52:03 AM  Show Profile
Great topic!
I have to agree with many of you, I too needed to make decisions on what is to much, do I really need to explain myself yet again. . etc.

Besides all of that, I wish I had learned a couple of the older ways of preserving foods. . .like dehydrating. . .sooner! Hours and Hours of canning goods that could have been dehydrated instead. . .saving all those canning jars for things that could not be dehydrated.

As they say, with age comes wisdom. . . so, I guess I am starting to get smart! LOL!!

Joanna #566

JojoNH

http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
http://twitter.com/NHJoanna
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  04:46:16 AM  Show Profile
Everything you do, you either succeed or learn from. I have learned so much over the last few years, mostly by making mistakes.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  04:59:15 AM  Show Profile
This is a great thread. We aren't to a real farm yet but while looking the guys (hubby and dad) wanted as much land as possible. I finally sat them down and said "What in the world are you going to do with 120 acres of land?" They had all these big dreams of having a billion cows and tons of corn and blah blah blah. I said "Ok, HOW are you going to do all that? Namely...how will you AFFORD all that?" And it was like a big slap in the face to them. So, its good to read this post and find out I was on to something! I sometimes will get into the mindset (like has been posted here) that I need to have the world's biggest garden ever because i'm going to feed the whole planet...but then, like the guys did, I have to realize there is only so much I can do without killing myself or going broke, and the point was to be self-sufficient and take care of my family. It wasn't even intended as a business. Good post gals, and one I'm glad I read. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  7:20:43 PM  Show Profile
Homesteading skills: Rotate crops and plant crops with similar needs together. Plant year round. Order seed catalogs early.
Personal: I can't do everything so I need to be more selective in what I do. What will give me the biggest bang for my buck, so to speak. Life is for the living. Cultivate friends, not money or prestige or a high ranking job. Only you can be yourself, no one else can be you, and you shouldn't try to be anyone else. And the old cliche, take time to smell the roses.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Crystal Koelzer
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Crystal
Cosby MO
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  9:42:52 PM  Show Profile
My husband calls me a crazy hippie too. Though he has all the same ideas as me. When folks don't understand why I do what I do and the plans I have I simply say that they work in an office or retail or whatever to pay the bills and provide groceries. I work too and that also provides for my family. I am pretty new to this so I really don't have any advice "from the beginning."
Go to Top of Page

KaleidoscopeEyes
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Stephanie
Amesbury MA
20 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  12:40:04 PM  Show Profile
This is such a great thread, so I thought I'd bring it back! Thank you lovely ladies for your tokens of advice!
I'd like to say I have a very small "apartment size" homestead. I do what I can until I can get a farm of my own. I guess the biggest lesson I have learned is to realize you can't do EVERYTHING. Pick out a couple of things you can devote time to and learn thoroughly. Be present and mindful in each task you do, without constantly thinking about what's next. That's what the simple life is all about.
Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  06:24:23 AM  Show Profile
We live off-grid and over the last 35 years have watched quite a number of folks arrive in our neck of the woods with big ideas and big dreams. it's important to have dreams, all humans need dreams, but try to temper them with experience before you go whole hog.

I have to say that about half of the newbies fail and move back to the suburbs within 5 years. I've failed at plenty of things over the years out here. But I'd say the main things are to
1)live within your means. Don't spend every cent you have on a dream and then pray it'll payoff. It takes years to make a profit at farming, ranching, dairying, etc. Be patient and very very frugal.
2)START SMALL. Learn your lessons in gardening or ranching when you have 5 tomato plants or a few rows of veggies than when you have acres until cultivation and 25 head of livestock to tend.
3)Get the best tools money can buy. You'll never be sorry. From your wood axe to your farm tractor, research research research and don't buy cheap chinese junk.
4)DO NOT even try to justify your lifestyle to anyone else. Just be happy. That'll say more to all of your detractors, nay-sayers and poo-pooers than anything else. Just be happy with your choices and say often to yourself and others "I'm so glad I followed my heart!"
5)Enjoy your farmgirl life! If you aren't looking forward to your days, then you're doing something wrong. Like Kimberly with too many goats or Angela or Michelle or Joanna, taking on too much, if you are making yourself miserable with an acre of garden, cut it back to a few beds and enjoy what you instead of killing yourself with too much.
Sorry I waxed a little philosophical here. Getting older does that. By all means, relax and enjoy your life, it's not race.
Love on,
Susan

My off-grid homestead blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
ETSY Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/OregonNatural
Blessings to you from my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page

lindagwynn
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Linda
Deming Wa.
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  08:54:59 AM  Show Profile
Great advice Susan, everyone should be prepared and collect all the information they can and be patient, definitely follow the heart and if it doesn't feel right try something else. Life is to short

With lots of hugs and smiles, have a great day.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  2:18:20 PM  Show Profile
You are sooo right Susan about taking on too much...I grew up on a farm & then by 48 ended up somewhere where I could do a few things like I did growing up but I didn't take in to account my age...lol What was so simple at age 17 sure isn't by the time you hit your 50's....but I must say everything I take on I do because I want to not because I have to...so that helps even with 30 pumpkins i cooked & froze up...but honestly you hit the nail right on with a lot of the ways to get thur being off grid...for me its a dream that may never completely come but I am sure having a great time working towards it & doing a lot more than I thought I would at my age....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
http://theoldbatzfarm.blogger.com
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  4:47:32 PM  Show Profile
I really really wish I had paid more attention when I was younger to the things my mom and grandma did!! Then all I could do was pray for hitting 18, leaving, traveling and not looking back. Now all I want is to farm and can't remember all of what we used to do (a good bit, yes, but not everything), so now I'm up to my elbows researching the things that I *should* know!!!

I'd love to have realized years ago how handy it is to not throw out everything when you *think* you don't need it anymore. These days we have a pretty good "pile of junk" that has come in quite handy on more than one occasion!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  5:30:45 PM  Show Profile
I met a young mother , back when my kids were all still young at a 4-H meeting. They were new to the area, never had farmed/ranched, nor did their families, BUT, they deceided this was the life for them, the hubby worked 2 1/2 hrs away, so he stayed with a co-worker during the week, and came up Sat morn, and left Sun eve...they had their 3 kids join 4-h and and they had them work on every possible thing they could, rabbits, chickens, ducks and geese, pigs, goats and sheep, plus a steer, then they went out and bought 4 horses ( and boy did that "horsetrader" see them coming), one horse was rouge and had been doped up and ended up almost killing the vet that came out to euthanize him, the other 3 were very elderly, plus being over dosed on bute and could not be ridden due to crippling injurys, and they in turn were also euthanized...all the other animals suffered due to ignorance and neglect, and were soon given away or dropped off at the shelter, the family moved back to where they came from within a year...I guess what I'm trying to convae, is please research , alot, before you buy anything including land, this story is in the extreme, but it happens to some degree every year to families who have no idea what they are in for...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  6:13:08 PM  Show Profile
A few years ago my sister and I had the hardest task of cleaning out our mom and dad's house , they couldnt live by their selves anymore. They moved in with my sister because of health and age. As we were cleaning out we found my grandmother's washboard. We never got to meet our grands on our dad's side.They were gone before we were born. My sister asked me if she could have the washboard.I told her well yeah. She said "I am going to hang this over my washer, so when I am to tired to put a load of clothes in the washer I will think how my grandmother had to do the wash." Its still hanging over her washer today.

Though everyone would enjoy this little story! Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  07:30:43 AM  Show Profile
OH tina what a sad story but thank you so much for putting it here as it shows some of our dreams can hurt or even kill when we are ignorent(sp?)of what we are doing when we have dreams that are too out there & we have no way to work it out for the good of all....I have seen in my 53 yrs so many people dump, damage or abuse animals cause they have no idea what they are doing or just get tired of the animal(s)...it sickens me to see this & I will never understand this mantality........I have also seen people grow gardens so big they burn out by the end of the growing season or canning, putting it up they just let all that is left rot...not offering to share it before it goes bad......I understand this need some have to want to be more self selficient but they go at it in such a way they do more damage that good & walk away as if nothing ever happened....It is definately a live that is so much harder than some think & they can't deal with the failure of it & learn from it.....No matter how hard it gets I see it as something I need to do to prove I can...its not something I have to do but my heart & head are so into it & want the chance to try it & if I fail I sit down & rethink it out until I figure it out or go to someone who can give me ideas of what I did wrong & can help me understand the other sides of it.......No one in my family or extended family do this or even want to but they try to understand this is for my well being & to feel connected to the world around me...like I said I am not truly off grid but I try to do things that are good for the earth & me :).......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  12:33:16 PM  Show Profile
Right now, I'm horse sitting for a "customer" of ours (she gets her hay from us and we do her field and fence work). She is older and can't take care of her horses the way she should. Yes, they have food, hay, water and a roof, but she can't do the daily chores the way they need to be done. When I horse sit, I try to get stuff done that she can't do herself. If she hadn't let the manure get so deep in the barn, I'd clean it out myself, but the area is big that I need a small tractor with a bucket on it to clean it with, sort of like a bobcat. There are no stalls. It's just one large open space with a feed/tack room. I've told her that if she can get someone to clean it out, I'd maintain it a few times each week. I hope she can. The thing is, as long as the horses have food, water and shelter, there isn't a thing animal welfare can do. The barn is set up as a run in (they have plenty of turn out), and the horses use it for their personal toilet, which, if I can convince her, will stop during the summer during the day by putting a stall guard across the door. The horses have plenty of shade as their fence runs through the edge of the woods and is easily accessible. This lady, though she tries, is one of those who is way over her head. One horse is geriatric, about 30ish. The other is a 10ish y/o mule. The mule is untrained and the horse is blind and can't keep weight on, even though I've consulted with people who have had geriatric horses and have given this woman suggestions. Frustrating. Very frustrating.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  07:53:30 AM  Show Profile
Lorena thank yo for the story, yes it is so hard when it comes to the older people....but I have learned with many way older than me its about money..they fear they will run out & have none so somethings like what you suggested getting someone to clean it out for her means money she is afraid to use...plus its a thing of being independent...thats a hard one to work thur with the older crowd....If you report her they may come in & see she can not take care of the things she needs & put her in a state funded home....I am sure that has crossed her mind....I have found even if it causes anger to get the things done....I had a woman in her 90's I helped pack up & move into a good nursing/independent facility(sp?)...by the time it was done I was accused of stealing things....got nasty letters & phone calls from her telling me I owed her money.....It was horrible in a way but what I did made things better for her in the long run so I have forgiven the nasty part of it.....i later found out from the son thats the reason no one would help her but was thankful i stepped it & helped....I bet if you can find someone who has a soft heart they would clean out the barn for her for free with a back hoe or something like that......i honestly don't think her animals need to be taken away from her but maybe you could find a 4-H group of something thur the high school that would give kids the ability to help her with what she can't do & learn at the same time..she would get to interact with the kids & they would learn from an older adult......just a thought but please hang in there, it sounds like you have a good heart....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  06:59:04 AM  Show Profile
When I said "older", I meant in her mid 60's. She still works and still has her faculties and drives an hour each way to work. She has alot of health issues that hinders her large animal care (bad shoulders, knees, etc). She does cook and clean herself, but can't accept the fact that she can't physically do it regarding the animals. I wouldn't ask her for money to keep the barn cleaned out either. I never set a price for jobs like this. I figure it's what the person can afford. If they feel obligated, then just enough money to cover gas. Thank you for the suggestions with the 4-H group. I will keep that in mind as a suggestion for her.

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  10:41:40 AM  Show Profile
Update on my "customers" chores. Feed/water tubs cleaned. Hay moved from storage to barn. Cleaned under their pallets first. Put water heater cord up on wall (supported by nails driven in wall at an angle). Alot of work. Hopefully, this will inspire her to get the manure out.

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  11:11:37 AM  Show Profile
Yep, very good advice to remember not to put the cart before the pony! It's always a good idea to have everything ready facilities wise BEFORE getting animals. Some knowledge is learned as you go along BUT people need to use their common sense and take one thing at a time :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  2:01:23 PM  Show Profile
Marlee: I have my mothers wash board! I think your sisters idea of hanging it by the washer is grand. I think I'll move my washboard near the washer. Good idea.
Michele': What you said about: "many people dump, damage or abuse animals cause they have no idea what they are doing or just get tired of the animal(s)...it sickens me to see this & I will never understand this mantality.......", I so, so, so agree. That is one thing that really gets me going! We recently had a new neighbor move by our house. They came with three beautiful dogs. About three weeks ago, one of the dogs was hit on the highway. The dead dog is still there. This makes me crazy. I understand that it is not my dog, and that the new neighbors do things different. However, they have six young children. I keep thinking about what the children must think when they see their dead dog. I just don't understand that mentality.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  4:29:52 PM  Show Profile
A responsible pet owner knows his/her personal limits whether it is physical, financial, time constraints, lack of knowlege about the species, etc. It doesn't matter if you have a gold fish or a barn full of animals. I am a responsible horse owner. I cannot afford to have one, so I don't, even tho I want one in the worst way.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic what you know now Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page