Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 My Rain barrel Problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic My Rain barrel Problem Next Topic  

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  08:05:16 AM  Show Profile
I read the posts on goldfish in a rain barrel and thought it
would be fun. A large plastic tote I had on the deck filled with water during a rainstorm. I added fish and they are doing great. That tote, got full, so I started another, the water was cloudy in the first, so I moved the fish over and use the first barrel for plant watering. Last night we got a huge, thunderstorm,. Both barrels are full and overflowed a little, I think, I looked in the first barrel and it has about a dozen worms(?) in it. I thought they might be water snakes, but they look like worms. Is this normal? If not, what did I do wrong? And what do I do with them? They look quite happy swimming in the rain water. ICK!

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

"Longin' to be farmin'.."

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  11:05:22 AM  Show Profile
Whoa...I've never heard of that before, Jenne... I'm not sure what you've got going on there. Is it possible that they are some sort of insect larvae swimming around in there? It seems way too early for mosquitoes, but maybe it's some sort of water bug. Either way, I would think the fish would eat them. I'll be interested to see what the girls have to say. The only problem we had was a cat kept moving the filter basket and digging down into the barrel to get the fish when it was full of water. We have to come up with a better solution for this year! Good luck! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  11:08:51 AM  Show Profile
You know, I was just thinking, too - is it at all possible it's baby fish???

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  11:41:28 AM  Show Profile
goldfish as babies look just like adults, only way smaller, and if your goldfish are less than 6 in.s long, they are not old enough to lay eggs yet, plus they would need something to lay eggs on...as far as worms go, they may be fish parasites, which will kill your fish by eating thru them, i would put fish in a differant container, dump tubs, wash very well, re-fill with water, let stand for 48-72 hours before adding new fish, that you bought at a differant place, keep eye on old fish to see if worms apear agin and or fish die...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  12:06:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, but these are certainly worms or worm like, they are 4-8 inches long. My fish are in another container and safe. I will dump the tub of worms in a day or so, I want to wait and see what happens. We had heavy rain again today. I do hope these are not baby Loch Ness monsters! lol

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  12:37:38 PM  Show Profile
LOL! I hope not, either, Jenne! 4 - 8 inches is pretty long... I hope they're NOT snakes or parasites! Eghads!!! I'm glad you took them out of the container like Tina suggested. Hopefully what you're doing will take care of everything. Good luck! Keep us posted! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  4:44:35 PM  Show Profile
I showed my son and it is his opinion that these "worms" slithered up the sides of the plastic tote or trashcan nearby and landed in my "rainbarrel". The rain was probably several inches deep on the ground by then, so unless anyone has a better theory, we are going with that. Double Ick!

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  6:57:40 PM  Show Profile
well at least you got something that is really good very your gardens, worms are the best...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - May 12 2013 :  06:36:07 AM  Show Profile
Dang it! I was hoping they were baby Nessies! :)

Emily
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 13 2013 :  3:05:00 PM  Show Profile
Emily I had the same thing happen. We have been getting slammed with rain and everything was flooding. The poor worms climbed up the side trying to get away from the water and ended up in our rain barrel and the goats water buckets. If you don't get them out they will drown after a time. They can only live under water for so long. I bet I pulled out hundreds of them. I just scooped them up with a colander from the rain barrel because it was too heavey to dump it since its a 50 gallon drum and dumped the goats buckets and put them in the garden.
Good luck.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - May 13 2013 :  3:37:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks For sharing your experience Linda. We did have
quite a rainstorm. I used my fish net and my worm friends
are safely in the garden now.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic My Rain barrel Problem Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page