Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 I too have a cat issue... need some advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I too have a cat issue... need some advice Next Topic  

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  10:25:14 AM  Show Profile
Our cat is about 10 years old. In the last month I have noticed she is getting a bald spot right above where her tail connects on her back side.

She's a feisty, anti-people, inside-only cat. We have had a great working relationship... she's keeps mice away, we feed her. She will crawl in your lap on the rare occasion, but usually keeps out of sight. I explain this because if I try to examine her back, she gets quite violent!

What kinds of things could cause this irritation? What types of natural remedies would you suggest?

I am not big on running animals to the vet, besides the fact I'd have to go to the doctor myself for trying after she tried to claw me to death!

Any thoughts?

Do what you love, love what you do.

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  11:33:41 AM  Show Profile
fleas? food allergy? (have you changed foods?)

i really don't have suggestions- sorry...just hugs!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  12:07:00 PM  Show Profile
My daughter has a cat that pulls all the hair out at the base of her tail. Sounds sort of the same. We have no idea why she does it. She did have ringworm when she was a baby, my daughters got 2 of them. They kept them covered with tinactin all the time when they were babies and they finally got over it. No more ringworm, just this weird habit that the one has. If you figure out what yours is let me know. Good luck.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  1:32:35 PM  Show Profile
We had an older cat who lost her hair by her tail after we moved. It all grew back. We assumed it was from stress? I hope you figure it out though...and without her having to show too much feistiness!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  5:34:50 PM  Show Profile
I think Amy's nailed it. We had a problem like that, and it got better after we made sure she had lots of safe hiding places, plenty to eat, lots of playtime and so on. Has there been any change in her environment that might have triggered this?
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2012 :  8:06:05 PM  Show Profile
I agree that stress could be the issue. We have a cat in our neighborhood who used to try to get into our house. She literally stalked us, waiting outside the door and trying to run inside. This was even though she had a home nearby with people who were concerned about her and tried to keep her in. And she also had terrible skin, with patches of missing hair and even bleeding sores. Her owners had a lot of other pets, and when some of them left the home this cat suddenly stopped roaming. We've seen her once in the last two years, and guess what...her skin was totally fine. We almost didn't recognize her.

And another thing you might look at is the humidity level in your house. Especially with cold weather coming on and heating systems kicking in, your cat might be suffering from dry skin.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2012 :  10:06:04 AM  Show Profile
THanks for the suggestions. No food change. I will keep watching for signs of something I can do for her.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2012 :  12:25:10 PM  Show Profile
There is some stuff called bitteryuck that one can get at the feedstore to spray on tails of horses to keep baby horses from eating their mothers tails and other various problems. It's harmless and tastes nasty. It would need to be used very sparingly on a kitty I would think.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I too have a cat issue... need some advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page