Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Indoor cat problem-please help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Indoor cat problem-please help! Next Topic  

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  04:14:43 AM  Show Profile
first off- i typed this all out and it disapperaed so i am going to try to recreate it...

about two years ago, i rescued a beautiful cat from a no kill shelter . they had rescued her from a kill shelter. i drove almost 100 miles each way to get her and paid $25 for her spaying. they had caravanned her from about another 75-100 miles distance to get her away from the kill shelter. she adjusted well to life with me tho she has not been extremely happy when we moved to ohio and then to this new house in june.

she is about 4 years old now and is absolutely gorgeous- she is so loveable that i actually named her Lovey after Mrs Howell from Gilligan's Island!she is one of those cats who only wants to cuddle when she wants it but when she is comfy and comes to lie down she is there for the duration!

when we moved in here i had her declawed -front only- because the landlady was worried about the carpet- (little did we know what was to come--hahahaha )when we moved here she was quite the explorer and then she self imposed an exile to the laundry room- we don't know why but she eventually came back out to be part of the family!

her litter box and food dish are in the laundry room right off the kitchen and there is a baby gate across to keep the dog out otherwise she(dog)would eat the cat's food as well as she would eat the poo and that disgusts me! the brand of litter is the same that we have used since january before our move to ohio--yesterday's news so it was easier on her (de)claws.

ok- so - she appears to be healthy and the issue at hand truly seems to be beahvioral--and i am at my wits' end--sweetie man is ready to open the door and just let her go ...we have fought about this issue which i will tell you about in a minute - and i just don't know what else to do because she is such a wonderful girl otherwise..and she deserves a good home- due to her behavior tho she could not be rehomed- no one would want her if they knew the truth and i could not place her without being honest.

when i was unexpectedly hospitalized last month for 2 nites and 3 days, i came home to find 3 piles of poo in the bathtub...i didn't care for it but i dealt with it and was grateful it was an easy clean up! when we then went to wisconsin less than 10 days later to bury my brothet in law, we came home to 6 neatly spaced piles of poo in the dining room - and didn't realize there were pee spots. ok- she is mad! but this continued after we got home- and daily there would be a poo unless the dog got there first to help me! ( i know-ugh gross! but in a dog's world a delicacy!)

the neighbor came over with her carpet shampooer and also scrubbed and scrubbed the pee stained areas...and the behavior has continued since-yesterday and today, she peed right in front of me and i couldn't get to her fast enough to stop her....

several suggestions have been made-
**shut her in the laundry room with her food and box til she relearns- well i tried and that lasted about 4 minutes -i couldn't stand her crying as well as my fear that she'll climb behind the furnace and start going there and i won't be able to reach in to clean.
** is she afraid of the furnace which is in the room with her box? there really is no other place to put her box for the long haul
**we did move her box to the dining room briefly thinking she needed to see where it was--that din't work either
** place some ammonia UNDER her box to draw her back-didn't work
** cleaning and scrubbing didn't work- we used resolve(brand) pet cleaner -

i am so stressed about this- i don't want to have to put her down and no shelter will keep her- no person will take her into tehir home if they know this...

she knows that i am home because she comes to me- and she cuddles and sleeps with me- i cannot be home 24/7--the whole paycheck thing! she wouldn't have food or a nice home if i did stay here 24/7...

someone even suggested the correlation between this behavior and a new cancer med that i am on but it started before the med...

i truly need help with this before i have to give her up....

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  07:28:22 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Your cat sounds like it has a bladder/urine infection to me. I would take it to the vet to make sure.f Good Luck!

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  08:54:08 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Julie. Often when this behavior starts the cat will have medical "reason". UTI, bladder infection, kidney issues. Meds and/or a change in diet to prevent further issues may be needed.

Hope you get your Lovey, not Naughty kitty back soon!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  12:43:46 PM  Show Profile
The biggest thing that stood out from your post is that you're still using Yesterdays News from the vet. If you are - than I'd say get her back on 'regular' cat litter right away as she might not like the bumpiness of it. Between my hubby and I we've had more than a dozen cats declawed and we have never used that product when the vet gave it to us. We both felt it'd be more painful for the cat to use because it's so 'lumpy' on their tender little paws. We were always very careful until they healed.

There are loads of products out there that supposedly kill all pet urine odors but I think we've tried them all. We also have had issues with a cat or two who wouldn't use the box but we had to find a good home for them as we the continued cost was astronomical while our other cats were being good and we didn't want them to start being naughty, too! I will tell you that it's a pain when you have to smell the areas in your house where she's used - and we still smell two of the areas even though we've had the carpeting professionally cleaned. At the moment our cats are being well behaved so I occasionally use scented carpet powder/freshener on that area only and it helps a great deal. Also I think it'd deter any other 'follow-ups' as it's pretty strong. Unfortunately, urine odor is so easily picked up that outside of ripping up the carpeting, I don't think you can get rid of it.

It could very well be an infection of some sort, but the fact that she's been poo'ing also makes me wonder if she is stressed about something. Possibly something is out of order in her world and until you find out what that is.......

Another thing is it sounds like she doesn't like to be alone and is acting out, or an extension thereof.

Just random things:

*There is a show on the telly called The Cat from Hell. The gentleman who goes into the home of people who have unruly cats or ones with behavior problems seems to really know his stuff and helps loads of people - even keeping marriages/relationships intact.

*They also don't like weird noises so yes, it could be the furnace that is spooking her.

*I also had a choc lab that 'partook' of the cat box goodies so I can relate. Ewwww! But she didn't do that unless she was bored and was left alone too long.

*When she does use the box maybe use lots of praise afterwards. Maybe a treat or two so she associates using it as a good thing?

*Although males are more susceptible to this condition but it's possible that she may have crystals in her urine due to the water you give her. Some vets recommend bottle water. And changing her diet might help.

I sure hope you can get to the bottom of it. I can imagine how heartbreaking it is to be in that situation and I do wish you'd keep me/us updated on what you decide.

Karen

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Edited by - missusprim on Nov 16 2012 12:47:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  2:07:11 PM  Show Profile
thank you all for taking the time to read my book! and write a response- i DO need ti get her to the vet to be sure

however --
she isn't alone all day while i'm at work but was when we went to wisconsin for funeral.

i really need to deter this behavior before it DOES get any worse- i don't believe that any animals lived in the house before we moved in so i am praying that she isn't following someone else's example! and i want to styop it befor eit gets too unruly!

tonite i am picking up a new cat box and softer litter--i have to think that the lumpy/bumpy could actually be a big part of why it is continuing--

also--gosh i would LOVE to praise her--if she ever starts bein good again!!!!!!!

ok- again-thanks-and any future ideas also welcome!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  4:03:08 PM  Show Profile
Margo,

I feel your pain. About 6 years ago, a friend and I moved into an apartment together. She had a female cat and I have a male cat. Prior to us moving in together, we had no issues with either of the cats peeing outside of the litter box. I can't remember how long we had been living together but my friend's cat started peeing outside of the litter box. I first noticed the strong smell of it in the dining room. She had been peeing on my new rug. I had to throw it out. Then she started peeing in the corner of the room a foot away from the litter box. My roommate took her to the vets to make sure she didn't have a UTI....she was fine so we figured it was a behavioral problem. Punkin, the female cat, had lived with another male cat prior to this so we weren't sure if it was because of my cat or not. My roommate was considering taking her to the Humane Society, but you just can't do that. It's not fair to put the burden on someone else and what if she went to a home where they hurt her for being naughty?? Anyways, I ended up keeping her after my roommate moved out. She's the sweetest cat and I waned to try and work with her. Punkin is a bigger cat so I bought a bigger plastic storage bin with lower sides thinking that was the problem. She started peeing half in and half out of the box. Then, I wish I had done this long before, I bought a big plastic bin with a lid and cut a door in one of the short ends. She seems to be doing ok now. I haven't noticed anything amiss. I make sure I clean it out 2 to 3 times a day. I keep a gallon ice cream bucket with a plastic bag in it next to the litter box so I can just scoop it in and put the cover on....use less plastic bags that way.

Sorry for the novel....just wanted to let you know that you're not alone and maybe something from my story would trigger an idea with your situation.

I'm glad you're getting a different litter, because that surely could be the problem. Cats are so finicky. Have you had the dog for quite awhile, or is he/she a new addition? Maybe there is just something about the new place that bothers her, or like you said, the noise from the furnace.

I hope you can find a solution. I know how frustrating and heart breaking this can be. Let us know how the new litter works out!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  10:12:51 PM  Show Profile
I would definitely see the vet, but it mostly sounds like stress to me. When someone in our family is upset or sick, it really upsets our cat Rosie. She wont leave our side except to use the litter box. If our routine changes, we can usually count on a little "present" on the kitchen floor! (At least she's considerate enough to not do it on the carpet! Lol!)

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  05:23:27 AM  Show Profile
I would try setting up another cat box as well as what the other ladies have mentioned. Keep the boxes cleaner by scooping out a couple times a day. If you have a hood on the box as well then take it off and see what happens.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  06:38:30 AM  Show Profile
ok- quick update!
bought a new unlidded box so it's clean and easy access- also bought a new litter-one of the tidy cats just cuz it's what was there -it's soft on her feet- i bagged up the old box litter and all and it's gone- picked her up and took her to the new box and tried to put her in- she didn't want in but saw what i was doing!and i think she understood tone of voice...

this morning i checked and nothing in the dining room (so far!) took her to the box again and she quickly ran away however.....drum roll..... a clump in the box so -success -so far!!!
after she ate i put the dog (who btw was here LONG before the cat to answer someone's question) in the bedroom and sat in my chair- lovey came up and stretched out for a wonderul nap full of mommy kisses and praises for being a good girl!so--we are not outta the water here completely but i think we are making progress...

as for stress-oh gosh! my family seems like it always has stress or illness of some sort so i can understand taht concept....she was with me before my cancer dx so she knows what i've been through. also the stress of my hospitalization and going away for BIL funeral...hoping someday that life will settle down!

emily- i do take away from your novel as i feel taht lovey is a good girl and made the choice to make her part of my family! thank you for sharing! i like the idea of the ice cream bucket with bag- i'll do that!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  05:11:14 AM  Show Profile
I've read some of the replies above, and agree. I've had indoor cats since I was eleven, and my BFF is a vet. First off, I agree: get rid of that yesterday's news! Very often, a cat does what yours is doing because it does not like the cat litter. I'd go with a good scoopable. Of all the ones I have used (all of them) the best I've found is the Paws and Claws by Tractor Supply. It's cheap but very, very good. Hardest clumping I have ever used. Second, if she is still doing it, she very well may have a bladder infection, but the fact that she does it when you are not home and deposits poop as well indicates Kitty is mad at something. Try the new litter, and scoop (or have it scooped) everyday at the same time. Animals do not like a change in their routine.

I have a male cat who we spent so much money on due to the same thing...turns out he is just tempermental. For urine, try saturating the area with pure white vinegar. Let dry, if it still smells, do it again. Our elderly, very sick kitty had a bladder infection last year, and believe me, there was visible blood. (Sorry to be gross).

Poor kitty, and poor you!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  06:20:06 AM  Show Profile
nicole; it has been a few days now with the new litter and there have been no more spots or piles so i am praying that it is taken care of! i do have two areas that i wish to clean again just to be sure and i will us ethe vinegar approach.

she seems to be a much more content girl now!!!! i know that we are much happier humans!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  09:51:23 AM  Show Profile
I had a similar problem with an old tom cat. He had several medical problems but they were not the "cause" of his new liter box problems but the stress might have been. I tried several things and then finally tried a product like this
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755197
I'm not sure if this is the brand we used, it was several years ago, but it took care of the problem. It is rather expensive but I only had to buy 1 refill. Hope Lovey gets her problems worked out.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  5:39:05 PM  Show Profile
Two things I would change immediately would be to put much more distance between her food area and her litter box and change from Yesterday's News to a litter made of smaller, softer material, unscented. She also needs plenty of hiding places (think HIGH PERCHES) so she can feel more in control of her environment.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  9:12:19 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Mara, keep the litter box and food far away from each other. AND... is there other cats outside? I ask because when I had my first cat, there were neighbors cats that could smell my inside cat. They would spray the outside of the house by the windows, which drove my cat to do the same thing inside! I had to clean the outside areas first, then the inside areas, then have a nice, long, debating chat with the neighbor. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2012 :  7:14:49 PM  Show Profile
I've been thinking about Lovey and I need to suggest a few things based on the declawing. As a declawed cat, Lovey is going to feel constantly vulnerable because she is unable to defend herself or get away from threats as she would if she had not had her front claws removed. Typically, declawed cats will experience changes in behavior that their people may feel are unacceptable, and they may well be. But to the cat, they make perfectly good sense. Try to think like Lovey. She was rescued and happy and loved, then she got uprooted (always upsetting to a cat) and declawed at almost the same time, so she couldn't properly "mark" her new territory -- yes, scratching is part of that process. Then on top of that, she gets locked up in an uncomfortable room, possibly triggering shelter memories, with no way to hide from strange noises, her food and litter box close together in total defiance of cat survival instincts. Then, you take off for the hospital and leave her alone. She doesn't know you're in the hospital and will be coming back. All she knows is she's been abandoned -- again. I can hardly think of a more stressful set of circumstances for a cat previously rescued from worse.

Long story short, I think what Lovey needs now is security and routine. By security, I mean places of her own choosing that she can get to in spite of being declawed (think carpeted steps or other "stages" that take her up to a nice comfort hideout where she can observe household/canine comings and goings. Respect for a cat's survival instinct means a clean litter box located far away from food and sleeping areas, ideally, in a place the dog can't get to, because a cat is most vulnerable when using the box; without claws, Lovey will really freak out about this is she doesn't feel she's safe doing her "business." Chase-and-pounce play before food time is always a good idea because it helps satisfy the cat's hunting instinct. In Lovey's case, it will help her feel a little more "normal." Be sure her toys are something that won't frustrate her inability to catch with her claws. (Felt mice stuffed with catnip would be a good choice.) After eating, when cats normally groom themselves, you might make your lap available as you described doing recently, or just add to the grooming behavior with a little petting to reassure her of your presence and love -- be her "cat mommy" at these times, if she lets you. Sounds like she'll go for that in a big way :)

Above all, Lovey has to feel safe. You took away her claws. Now it's up to you to make up for defenses she can no longer provide for herself. Sounds harsh, but "them's the facts."

I'd love to see a photo of Lovey. Do you think you might be able to share?
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  06:50:10 AM  Show Profile
rosemary--thank you- i appreciate you coming back and talking about lovey!i'll try to post a picture!
i must clarify that she did not get locked up before my hospitalization--she has the run of the house (except for thie small bedroom which no one but me goes in)--when we moved here she CHOSE to seclude herself to the laundry room- i think because she did feel threatened by new surroundings etc--
the only time she has been "shut in" here was when i tried to keep her in the laundry room which lasted not even 5 minutes! i couldn't bear the thought of her being closed in! **oh! and two days ago she wandered into an open closet which i didn't know and she got closed in! stuck her cutie white feet out and cried til i found her!!!

in regards to my hospitalization- i understand very much that she was upset by my absence..and that is why i didn't do anything to try to discipline her poos in the bathtub...when we went to the funeral i WISH they had been in the tub again so as not to ruin the landlady's carpet!

she sleeps with me at nite again now and she enjoys my lap when she wants -not often enough to my liking somedays!

she has discovered the Christmas tree and the lights and the curiosity of a child has kicked in! it's fun to watch her...

since i have gone to clumping (soft textured) litter, we have had no more problems- thank God!

ok- i don't know HOW to get my picture of Lovey on here????
i tried the "insert image " icon and it isn't working for me?
i tried printing my screen i tried ctrl c and v which i have to use at work....help?????

Farmgirl # 2139

Edited by - Penny Wise on Nov 25 2012 06:58:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  09:16:10 AM  Show Profile
Margo, if you would like, email me the picture, and I will post it on the MJF site. I'd love to see Lovey!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  11:53:32 AM  Show Profile
Margo, I see you're getting some help with the photo -- can't wait for the "reveal"!
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  3:47:08 PM  Show Profile
keep waiting cuz i can't even copy paste in email--am thinking maybe if bear or someone emails me that when it goes from my home email (not the mjf site) i could put the pic as an attachment?

anyhow...i am frustrated!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  3:28:19 PM  Show Profile
Margo, when you start to write a new post, you will see a tiny icon just above the white typing area, on the left. If you click on that, you'll get a window that says "Upload Image" and a button saying "Choose File." (It will say, for now, "No file selected.") Just click on "Choose File," you will be able to poke around on your computer to wherever you stashed the photo of Lovey. You then click on that, then "Upload." Code for the image will appear in your little typing area. Add your message above it, click Submit as you usually do when posting and you should be good to go.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  8:47:58 PM  Show Profile
I posted a picture of Margo's cat, Lovey, for her on this site; Barnyard Buddies. She is sure a cutie!
Marly

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Indoor cat problem-please help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page