Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Anyone had the shingles?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anyone had the shingles? Next Topic  

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  10:01:40 AM  Show Profile
... along with post-herpatic neuraliga? I'm looking for someone (or ones) to chat with for support.

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  11:24:53 AM  Show Profile
I experienced it about 2 years ago while at a convention-Frankly, I thought I was having a heart attack. I didn't want to leave the convention-had been waiting to attend it for almost a year but-I went to see about it a few days after the rash appeared under my left shoulder-The post herpetic neuralgia lasted for a very-very long time. I have never experienced anything quite like it ever. But I can tell you it HURT. Haven't had another episode though and not looking forward to a repeat that's for sure!

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  2:57:56 PM  Show Profile
My MIL has had a couple episodes and it sounds like the most miserable pain. She had it in her genital area, if you can imagine. I am getting the shot as soon as possible!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  3:19:57 PM  Show Profile
My mother and a couple of friends have all had it. I watched them all suffer and could do nothing to help. I got the shot as soon as I was old enough.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  10:30:07 AM  Show Profile
I had it under one armpit. It was miserable for sure. It took several years for the pain to completely go away. Once in a while I still get twinges.

The key for me is working on staying healthy and reducing stress. If I keep those two things under control, I don't have an issue.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  9:16:57 PM  Show Profile
My sister had the shingles years ago. She had it on her chest and backside. She had to sleep on a bed of pillows to be able to get comfortable. I wish all of you with shingles the best.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2012 :  03:48:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, it is awful. Apparently a lot of the info out there isn't very accurate and many doctors don't know much about it. Managing the pain is the hardest part as well as clothing!!!

There is a vitamin and supplement protocol for repairing the damage to the nerves and that is helping me. But at six months it gets a bit discouraging taking so long ... you think it will all never stop.

Did anyone else take a long time for the blisters to heal and go away completely?
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2012 :  10:15:39 AM  Show Profile
I if remember correctly it was quite a while for things to completely "look" gone. But the pain lasted for a lot longer. I think for me, my blessing was that I recognized the issue within a day and was able to get in to the doctor and take the antiviral medication which supposedly helps shorten the attack. Many people don't recognize it early nd then by the time they get into their doctor, they are out of the window for the medication to really help.

After seeing the doctor, I started slathering a healing salve that I make on the area several times a day as well. I kept the area covered with a bandage to keep anything from rubbing the skin.

It's a rough issue for sure. Especially depending on where you get them. I have a friend who got them around her eye! I was thankful mine was an armpit and I just had to avoid wearing a bra for a while.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  10:46:42 AM  Show Profile
Yes, timing is important when it comes to treating the shingles. I didn't know what it was either since it felt like a pulled muscle ... my friend's MIL went to the ER because she thought she had a kidney stone. I took the antiviral med but it was long past the early days when it helps most.

The literature says you can have "changes in the skin" and that seems true. At least for me.

I hope more accuracte info will find its way into the public domain. Even the vaccine manufacturer says the shots are only effective 50% of the time. I would image that most people think if they have had the vaccine, they are definitely protected. Apparently not true.

I hope everyone with this issue will get well quickly!!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  6:36:37 PM  Show Profile
I had shingles for the first time in March. The pain was incredible. I had it on my back, rib area. It felt like someone was putting cigarettes out on my skin! I did get to the doctor in time for the medication to work. They eventually cleared up and the pain finally went away after a few weeks.

Best of luck dealing with this. It isn't fun!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  11:13:10 AM  Show Profile
Thank you. :)
Go to Top of Page