Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  08:41:38 AM  Show Profile
Anyone with eczema? Do you have any secrets to getting a flare up to calm down? A hereditary gift from my father's side of the family, I've been getting patches on my hands for the last year now. The latest flare up has lasted over a month now, and it's wearing on my nerves... :( I've tried tea tree oil in olive oil, and only use natural soaps...aloe doesn't cool it down, either. Grr...

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com
Soap Shop:
www.empirerosesoapco.etsy.com
Vintage Shop:
www.jodieliza.etsy.com
www.pinterest.com/jodieliza

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2012 :  10:54:26 AM  Show Profile
Coconut oil is wonderful stuff! Just type it in google & it will give you tons of information on it! Eat it, put it on your skin/hair/face...cook with it, anything & everything! I used to have eczema bad when I was a kid, but not so much anymore. Good luck with it!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  10:03:12 AM  Show Profile
Pam, I'll have to try some coconut oil. Maybe it'll work better than olive oil....

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Soap Shop:
Vintage Shop:
www.jodieliza.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  7:30:43 PM  Show Profile
Try adding flax seed or flax seed oil to your diet. If you google you can probably find more info. Also, try to notice if certain foods like ultrapasturized milk or other dairy cause flare ups.
The topical cream I use comes from Uriel Pharmacy online. It is called rose quartz cream. It works for all manner of skin problems but especially excema..
Mary LD
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  3:58:42 PM  Show Profile
How are your emotions? Alot of eczema sufferers (as well as other skin problems) have some emotional issues that need to be dealt with--for wahtever reason once the emotions are balanced you will see improvement. Also Pau D'Arco is fantastic for eczema.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  11:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Just saw a program on the tv chanell Veria called Yogi Cameron-a Model Guru where a woman had a skin condition like exzema. Go to Veria.com and see if you can find his programs and bring up the story. He here treated inside and outside. His programs are very interesting and discusses various physical problems that people have in a holistic way.
He's not bad on the eyes either!!!
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  4:54:14 PM  Show Profile
I have found that the lotion that Melaleuca sells (called Renew) is the very best....let me know if you would like to try some and I'm send you a sample....just email me your address

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wwEh7WR/]
Go to Top of Page

Karlee2147
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Karla
White City OR
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  10:08:20 AM  Show Profile

Cetaphil lotion or something that is very moisturizing works well, also taking a shower then applying petroleum jelly just prior to sleep helps to moisturize. Avenno baths (oatmeal), and gluten free diet all are very beneficial.

Karla
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  5:17:00 PM  Show Profile
Rachel -- I'm a chronic stresser, so I wouldn't be surprised if that contributed to the problem. :-/

I'll look up all the suggestions... thanks for the input...I really need to find something. It's gotten to the point my skin is getting painful cracks in addition to the rash. Trying to keep it moisturized, seems to help. I don't eat a lot of dairy, but I do eat plenty of gluten and wheat. That could definitely be making it worse, I guess.

~Jodi

Soap Shop:
Vintage Shop:
www.jodieliza.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  4:13:23 PM  Show Profile
One of the things I have noticed where I work is that most of the kids who come see me for allergy shots all have seriously horrible eczema and/or psoriasis and they are all stressed, worried and/or depressed. Not to mention not very cooperative about their shots, lol. Flower essences are usually excellent for stress/anxiety/worry, also support your adrenal glands AND thyroid (stress really overworks them). Learning to relax will help with your overall health anyway--Reiki is AWESOME for relaxing, Deepak Chopra has some fantastic guided meditations that are super (and his voice is very relaxing to me).

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  2:46:15 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE Melaleuca products.. Soo environmentally friendly and safe around the house. The Laundry detergent is awesome. Took out a really old stain in a sweather.. amazing. Bathtub cleaner is great. I have a linen closet STOCKED with the RENEW lotion!! LOL... The DISINFECTENT has a wonderful thyme smell. HIghtly recommend the products... And NO.. I do am NOT a company rep.. Just love it.

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  5:55:43 PM  Show Profile
Madelena.....so glad to hear you love the products from Melaleuca. So do I! so much that I did become a rep LOL Isn't the tooth polish awesome too! But really, for eczema, the renew lotion is a lifesaver for me.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  7:51:41 PM  Show Profile
Jodi, I tried all sorts of things without any success. Then I discovered I was gluten intolerant. I had eczema so bad, no one wanted to go out in public with me because I constantly scratched. It was horrible and my skin was so angry all the time. I was miserable. It took a few months (nearly half a year) but since I have gone gluten free my skin no longer has issues. I just remember one day realizing I didn't itch anymore and my skin had cleared. It was a huge relief.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  08:39:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, eczema...I've had it since I was a baby. Normally it would get better in the summer and worse in the winter when the indoor air got drier. I am used to using humidifiers in the bedroom, and when I was younger I too did the oatmeal baths, petroleum jelly, Keri, Aquaphor, Aveeno lotion, Cetaphil, steriod creams and ointments, the whole nine yards. I had been tested for environmental allergies, but never for food allergies.

The past couple of years, I started noticing eczema cropping up where it hadn't before - my face especially got very dry, almost papery (not a normal skin feel at all!), and I also occasionally had these extremely red and hot patches appear on my cheeks. It looked like a very bad chemical burn or sunburn! The area above my mouth got so cracked, and moving my face or putting water on it was very painful. There was/is a bad patch on my wrist and hand, too, as well as on my inner upper arms.

I stopped using any cleansers on my face months ago, and have just been splashing water on it, patting it dry and covering everything with a non-toxic moisturizer (right now it's Eva Anderson). I then cover any drier patches with something heavier. I am trying to switch to all natural and organic/non-toxic body care products, but as of yet have not found anything as effective as a steroid cream for knocking down the really bad patches (I've tried olive oil, jojoba, apricot oil, vitamin E, and all sorts of concoctions, including Emily's, which I had heard was formulated for a baby with eczema). I'm still trying!

I think what I actually have is a gluten allergy. After not having had much success with visiting my primary care doctor, who would refer me to a dermatologist, who in turn would just give me more steroids (having to pay for prescriptions is not doable for me), I was convinced this was an internal issue. So I decided to visit a naturopath, who suggested I do an "allergy elimination diet," cutting out many different items all at once (wheat, gluten, dairy, eggs, citrus, corn, and other common allergy causes) for a period of one month. I was then supposed to reintroduce the foods I had cut out, one at a time, to see if I had any flareups. My first try of the diet caused me to lose about five pounds (guess I didn't realize how much whole grain wheat my diet contained!), and got my digestion working better, but did not have much effect on my skin. But it seemed to be a step in the right direction. The second try with the diet, however, for a period of a couple weeks, my skin was looking and feeling better, and my mom remarked on the improvement. I felt like a normal person again! The naturopathic doctor had suggested reintroducing gluten last, just before our next appointment. So last week I had a huge plate of American chop suey one night. The next night I battered a steak with egg and flour. The night after that I had a stew with gravy (more flour) for dinner. Well, my skin basically hates me now! I am almost entirely convinced that what has been causing my skin dryness and flareups is the gluten, so I am off of that again and hoping that it will improve to the way it was last week.

If it really is a gluten allergy, I am extremely disappointed about that! Many of my favorite foods contain it and I'm worried I'd be a bummer to have to go out to dinner with! Avoiding dairy would have been easier, I think...But it is what it is...I would rather stick to a special diet than go through this misery anymore! So I do recommend testing for food allergies, either through trial and error or I have heard there are a few blood tests that you can do, although I am not sure how conclusive they are. If you find something that gets rid of your bad eczema patches, I'd love to hear your solution! So far, vitamin E seemed to be the most soothing for me. I was using it in a dermaE cream, but it may be even better in its pure form.

Farmgirl Sister #4527
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
- Mae West
Go to Top of Page

FaithfulchickWI
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Callie
Orfordville WI
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  06:52:17 AM  Show Profile
karenhurd.com--She has been an incredible blessing.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  06:58:52 AM  Show Profile
I have been taking Evening Primrose oil for years not and I am good. My face had lots of itchy patches but when I take EPO it stays away.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2012 :  8:19:28 PM  Show Profile
I am still a huge proponent of Rose Quartz Cream from Uriel Pharmacy online. No prescription required and it gives immediate relief!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2012 :  04:47:09 AM  Show Profile
A gluten allergy can cause eczema. It did that in my grandson. When he went gluten free (he is 3) his rash went away totally. I live with psoriasis (a different story for another time). But I got it at 15 when I was extremely stressed. I have heard that honey will ease the discomfort of ezcema. One friend used honey on her hands. They got better. I know how frustrating it is. Hope you are better soon.

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 17 2012 04:48:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  12:08:18 PM  Show Profile
I use virgin coconut oil as a skin lotion. I remove makeup with it and also for rough or itchy spots. It is antifungul, antibacterial and I love it. You can also cook with it and use it for oil pulling. It is also said to be a very good bedroom lubricant that will not create a yeast infection.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  08:11:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
We found a soap in a local co-op called Look, No X E M A! made with natural oils, vit E and EPO made in North Freedom WI. DH has been using it and it seems to be helping. they also make a cream that he is going to try as well. i hope it works becasue it drives him nuts with the itching. the dry air doesn't help either.

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  2:08:56 PM  Show Profile
Update from my last post, ladies - I have been tested for food allergies and contact allergies (blood tests and skin tests), and aside from a very minor sensitivity to yeast and almonds, nothing else came out positive. I am majorly allergic to 2 types of dust mites, plus the usual ragweed, oak, etc. but none of those are news to me and we have known about those since I was little. My eczema is still covering my neck, arms, and legs and is very itchy and tiring :( I had kind of been hoping to find the reason behind my eczema through these tests, so I am pretty disappointed. Back to square 1! Still seeing the naturopathic doctor weekly, so hopefully I can find some solution there. In the meantime I am covering myself with jojoba oil (no luck with the coconut oil by itself), then shea butter, then Waxelene! Yikes...so maybe I will see some other treatments here that have worked for you all.

Farmgirl Sister #4527
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
- Mae West
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Eczema relief? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page