Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Migraines Next Topic  

Butterscotch Grove
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Melissa
Fairbanks AK
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  8:03:16 PM  Show Profile
Anybody else dealing with them? What's your strategy?

TIA,
Melissa

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com

Simple@heart
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Andrea
Florida
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  8:13:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa! I deal with them as well. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy! My doctor prescribed medication for me to manage them. I have to take it as soon as I feel one coming on and catch I before the nausea sets in. I lie in a cool, preferably dark room with an ice pack on my forehead and one on the back of my head. My sense of smell goes nuts so I have to stay away from all things scented during an attack. I have also found that relaxing in the tub helps with the pain.

Do you get them often?

~Andrea

Bloom where you are planted
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  9:34:31 PM  Show Profile
Beta blockers cholesterol lowering pills and blood thinners pills. I had a heart attack 6/16/2011 and have been on these ever since with no migraine. I had migraines every month before them. I haven't had one since.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  1:01:04 PM  Show Profile
I've been dealing with them for months and found out there was a mold problem in our house, the well water was bad... We ended up moving and now they are slowly getting better. I had been going to the doctor to figure it out and I had a ct scan and everything because I had some head trauma a few years back... At any rate I get monthly migraines with my cycle but I have found previously if I stay with red raspberry that seems to minimize those migraines. I also need to get my eyes checked as sometimes (not all the time) I do get migraines from reading. Also bright glares will trigger my migraines as well as some scents. After seeing the doctor for months did we finally get to those causes. Everytime you get a migraine chart what you were doing, ate, smelled before the attack came on. After a while you may start to see a pattern and can figure it out. Nothing would help my migraines, not even the imitrix I was prescribed! Another possible cause was my surgery last year, sometimes you can get bad headaches months to a year after having surgery... Hope you can find the trigger/cause!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  1:18:56 PM  Show Profile
In my case, after years of suffering, I learned I was allergic to estrogen, especially in egg yolks. I cut out yolks and haven't had another migraine in years. I used to also have them a week before my period. When menopause came along, those went away, too.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  03:57:31 AM  Show Profile
I had migraines that were menstrual related. Doctor put me on oral contraceptives to help, which it did at first. Then the beta blockers, which helped at first. Injectible Imitrex worked, but you still lose a few hours. Then I came off oral contraceptives and haven't had a migraine since.
Weird stuff.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

FaithfulchickWI
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Callie
Orfordville WI
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2012 :  07:29:53 AM  Show Profile
My mother and I have been dealing with migranes for years. We have severe allergies which is often what triggers them. Because of our allergies we tend to stay away from drugs. We have found along with going in a dark room with an ice pack on the head, that passion flower capsules and Yerba Mate tea helps a lot and we have even avoided knock down drag out migraines. The important part of us is to take the passion flower and the tea as soon as you feel the migrain comming on. Hope this is helpful :)
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  09:58:49 AM  Show Profile
A frined who gets them really badly says she drinks a lot of ice cold water when she feels one starting to come on.

I get them on occasion, but get them in clusters that will sometimes last 2-3 days if the prevention isn't taken at the first onset. My Rx is called Maxalt. Its in the triptan family like some of the other popular prescription meds. Luckily I do not get sick but have on occasion gotten just nautious first thing in the a.m. before taking a pill and laying back down. Mine are brought on sometimes by sudden barometric shifts, allergies, and upper back/neck fatigue linked to a fall on my face about 10 years ago.

I have tried all the natural remedies including lavender/peppermint temple rubs. And honestly, the prescription is the only thing that will block the nerve pain. I did receive a series of steroid injections all throughout certain head and neck nerve points. It worked for a time and felt kind of weird. (Was a bit painful especially for those nerves connected where nose and eye meet, that smarted BAD).

So try any and all methods suggested certainly. But most importantly, go to a board certified neurologist too! If it makes you feel any better- I have to drive 30 miles one way. But it's better than suffering and feeling miserable
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  10:00:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh yea- and my sense of smell is acute anyway- so chalk rotten perfume and obnoxious smells up there too. Those will set off a killer migraine in a heartbeat!
Go to Top of Page

hialtfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Terri
WA.
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  04:46:22 AM  Show Profile
How Much water do you all drink?

"LOVING" life at 4000 feet..."LOVE" is a very splendid thing...
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  08:42:33 AM  Show Profile
Here's another point about migraines. I have had cluster headaches for a few years now, and Have tried many methods, including the whole drug regimen. This year I went to a chiropracter for another problem. He made an adjustment in my neck and I have had only one headache since then. I went back to him for another adjustment and they seem to have gone away.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  09:55:41 AM  Show Profile
Frined says she drinks as much water as she can hold comfortably.

She thinks some of her headaches may be caused by dehydration.

So the answer is probably 2-3 8 oz
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  8:10:34 PM  Show Profile
I drink three 26 ounce bottles of water every day. Water is your friend. Drink lots.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Migraines Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page