Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Any Twenty-something Farmgirls out there?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any Twenty-something Farmgirls out there? Next Topic
Page: of 2

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  09:53:15 AM  Show Profile
We've got about 5 inches of snow out there. Not too shabby :) I haven't checked in here for a bit... what's new, hmmm

Yesterday my friend who works for Parks and Rec in town brought me two pair of Buff Ducks who had been dumped at a public park in the warmer months. They're cute! I'll have to do a post in the Barnyard Buddies area.

I took my Highland cow, Barbie, over to that same friend's place last week to be bred to her Highland bull (my yak bull can't recognize her heat because it's so different from the yak ladies!) So hoping I'll have a pure calf in September! Also hoping my older yak ladies are bred! We'll see :)

We got our Christmas cards out, and our pic is our little family with our tractor (talk about redneck- but all the city-folk love it!). I just typed up a family/ranch update instead of handwriting 50 notes. I wanted to have time for some other things :)

I'm getting two new Muscovy hens on Saturday- a chocolate and a lavender- will get pics of them when they get here!

Ty is 23 lbs now! A year and 3 weeks old, he really is incredible.

How is everyone else?

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  6:36:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm jealous Natalie. I saw another person's picture from the Missoula area of beautiful snow. We finally got a couple inches but after mid-40s today it is disappearing quickly.

Christmas update: We aren't moving so I got a little tree. It is a little live one so I don't have to worry about what to do with the old dead one and I just can't do the fake trees. It is so little and cute. No lights but it is decorated by my 4 year old with colored ornaments (a project for while he's had the flu) and a couple he made at school. It makes it a lot more festive around here.

I love ducks but mine flew away before I could get their wings clipped. I had plans of doing it that weekend and they took off for parts unknown. I can't wait to get our own place again so I can start my critter collection. ;)

Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you all get to spend it with family of some sort.

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  8:14:08 PM  Show Profile
I think I got the video working now... http://youtu.be/6IAV6dp_bTw

It's really nice here. They call it "The Banana Belt of Montana" because we're West of the Divide, so we don't get the feet and feet of snow like Eastern MT :)

What kind of ducks did you have??? Do I need to clip the wings on these guys? My Muscovies fly, but they know to stay put. I never clip wings normally because I free-range everyone and don't want them falling prey due to inability to flee. Now I'm wondering, though...

I am one of those terrible people who doesn't really get all that excited for Christmas... partly because I firmly believe that Jesus was born in the warmer months, and partly because the put up/take down is a lot of work and I'm just not that dedicated for a few weeks of higher electricity bills... I was never really into the decorating though. I like simple stuff, but not so much on the seasonal/holiday decor that has to be changed every few weeks. I know that's sad, but that's just how I am =/ I figure I get to spend more time with the animals this way.

I have thought of getting those shotgun shell covered Christmas lights of different colors to put up on my barns for fun, though! Does that count? They're kinda expensive though...

No more snow today, and the ducks are doing well in quarantine (everything new has to be watched for signs of illness). They're eating a LOT and I think they're going to be a good addition around here :)

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2012 :  8:52:01 PM  Show Profile
Natalie,

I do miss W. Montana. We lived just N. of Missoula for 4 years and for a couple in the Zoo. :) It is a nice place but we needed the job for my husband so here we are in Nebraska.

I had mutt ducks. They were Muscovy and Blue Swedish cross. I thought it was odd that they took off too. I was hoping to have them free range (as much as my in town fenced yard would allow). The only reason I was going to clip was that I'd had trouble with them flying over the fence a couple days prior to them leaving.

You aren't terrible for not getting excited about Christmas. I usually only have the tree and maybe one other string of lights along with the stockings. Probably why it felt so sparse this year without a tree. Otherwise I like a couple candles and some pine bows. Beyond that, I'm like you and don't care for the extra electric bill. Plus, if I get decorations up I know they aren't coming down until about Easter. :)

Hope your ducks are doing well and getting out of quarantine soon. Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2012 :  9:15:45 PM  Show Profile
Brrrrr!! It's been snowing and snowing here (yay! We sooo need the snow pack for water!) and then temps dipped down to ten and below. We've had plenty of much colder nights, and days that didn't get above 10, in years past. But I wasn't milking 3 cows then! The cold sure does make chores take longer, and much less pleasant.

Kat, Natalie, I too have years where I just don't feel like lugging all the decorations out of the barn, into the house, to set them all up and then get em all put away before Easter! I was better this year and decorated quite a bit more than I did last year. ;)

Cinnamon is doing great. Finished all her Oxytocin shots and it looks like the rest of the infection was pushed out. (fingers and hooves crossed!) Now just waiting for her to start showing heat cycles again. Not that I plan on breeding her until about April (looking at a long lactation for her this year!)

Glad to hear the ducks are doing good Natalie. How have they settled in?

We finally convinced my son's banty chickens to try sleeping in the coop (they had a few nights of snow storm in the trees tho). They would much rather roost in our trees. I had to get a big net to nab em before they could fly over to the trees and shove them in the coop a few nights in a row. With our nasty temps and snow the birds haven't been coming out of the coop much, and the banties have finally decided they like the chicken house.

Happy new year ladies! Here's to a great 2013!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2012 :  9:21:52 PM  Show Profile
Mary,
All my cows are halter trained, even April the 7 month old calf, tie nicely, load into the trailer, and Sunny Belle will even walk herself to the milking parlor. They are almost better at it than the horses! The cows *DO* get handled at least once a day, every day, LOL.
I'm working on better hoof handling (that's one thing the horses definitely have down better than the cows), so I can do some trimming myself. Cow hoof trimmers are few and far between around here.

I've got a box of books started for you. The boys are going to help me go through the rest before school starts again.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Go to Top of Page

Flowerfairy136
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mary
Vicksburg Mississippi
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  8:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Alicia,
Thank you, It is very much appreciated. I do know that when mailing books its cheaper if you use "Media Mail".

Are any of yall on facebook? If so you can send me a friend request. https://www.facebook.com/flowerfairy136

Farmgirl Sister #4195

May your bobbins always be full!

Edited by - Flowerfairy136 on Jan 04 2013 8:55:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  1:30:04 PM  Show Profile
Mary,
I haven't forgotten about the books!
We got busy with wrestling season. Just had our State tournament, 3 days, whew! I'm glad that's over! It was fun, but it's nice to have a break, have my evenings and Sundays free again. Not that Hubbs does, he's still coaching the Jr. High team, and then will go into serious training himself for a tournament in Las Vegas that he will compete in.

I'm sooooo glad to be done with the super cold winter we had! (now I've jinxed myself and it will storm and snow next week, hahahaha)The rest of this week calls for days in the mid 50's and nights around 32. I might start watering the lawn and pasture some. I'd love love love to see some green, and I know the cows and horses will too.
Plus it will get me out of the house some more. I'd rather muck pens and dig in the dirt than clean house! It feels like the things I get done outside stay done longer, than say vacuming or dishes.

Hope everyone is doing well!
It's almost spring! :)

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

Flowerfairy136
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mary
Vicksburg Mississippi
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  8:28:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm SO ready for it to warm up. It's was great for several days the past week, highs in the 70's. Sat alot on the back porch admired the lake and just soaked up the sunshine and Vitamin D! I had a terrible cold, the kind where you don't even feel hungry and just have to force yourself to eat a little bit because you haven't eaten anything all day. I didn't eat a full meal for probably like 5 days and even then only soft-ish stuff cause my throat hurt. But it felt great to just sit in the warm sun with my dogs (Oh by the way, we adopted a lab mix puppy about a month ago. Her name is Eleanor.) Hugo even sat out there with me a little, all fluffed up and watching the birds, boats, squirrels, ect. But now it's cold again and we've all retreated back indoors.

I've started some bell pepper, basil, chives and spinach seeds. The peppers were doing good but then one of my cats got to them and pulled up/ate all but one of them so I had to replant some seeds so they're a little behind on size. And the spinach was alright but now it's about dead :P Don't know what I did wrong with it so I guess I'll just plant the peppers where it was going.

Anyway, Hope all yall are doing good! Ttyl

Farmgirl Sister #4195

https://www.facebook.com/flowerfairy136

Edited by - Flowerfairy136 on Mar 25 2013 8:47:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

HolidayJunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Northglenn Colorado
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  11:51:59 PM  Show Profile
I think a 20 something group would be awesome. I'm not in my wee 20's anymore, but my daughter should be on anytime and she's 18. She'd fit right in with yall too.

Blog: http://confessionsofaholidayjunkie.blogspot.com/

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/holidayjunkie/
Go to Top of Page

Flowerfairy136
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mary
Vicksburg Mississippi
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2013 :  10:29:20 PM  Show Profile
-Library Update-

Things took a turn for the worse a couple of weeks ago. A ferocious thunder/lightning storm came through and the church got hit by lightning and burned up completely. The only thing left are the brick outer walls. Nobody got hurt, it was between services on a sunday so nobody was there. The only other church is a methodist church about 2 miles down the road from it and they are being kind enough to let us use their building after they hold their services. Right now we're just trying to work out insurance and trying to aquire a rental office trailer for our temporary location until they can rebuild. They say that all the bricks and everything are going to be bulldozed over and we're going to build a completely new structure. I've been told that we still have all the original money in the library fund and also insurance money for what was lost. The nice part is that I can start with a brand new slate. All new books that people will actually be interested in. No more books from the 60's. I've already ordered a few but I'll just have to keep them at my house until I have somewhere else to put them. I'm especially going to try to cater to the children out here. There are tons of them out here and about 90 percent of them don't have parents that attend, we pick them up on the church bus. Lots of them are on government assistance and are visibly hungry and lacking in clothing. They're way behind in their grade levels, my mother teaches 1st through 4th grade sunday school but only uses the 1st and 2nd grade teaching materials. They don't have anyone at home to help them study. I really want to use this library to help them, to show that reading isn't some chore, that it can open entire new worlds. So it's going to be a while before we get there but everyone is really excited. This sure hasn't put a damper on anyones spirits. Like my preacher said when someone mentioned that it must have really put the brakes on, he said " No honey, we just changed lanes."

Farmgirl Sister #4195

https://www.facebook.com/flowerfairy136

Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2013 :  05:54:20 AM  Show Profile
Mary, the storm sounds like a blessing in disguise! I am sure the kids who need the library will be inspired by your enthusiasm. There are so many great kids' books out there now that I am sure you will have no trouble ordering any! Let me know if you need any help reviewing certain titles :)

It has been stormy here as well, and this weekend has been hot, hot, hot! I think I will try relaxing in the house today to stay cool.

Farmgirl Sister #4527
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
- Mae West
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any Twenty-something Farmgirls out there? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page