Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Any Twenty-something Farmgirls out there?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any Twenty-something Farmgirls out there? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Flowerfairy136
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mary
Vicksburg Mississippi
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2012 :  12:55:28 AM  Show Profile
Most of the ladies I see on here seem a lot older than me, talking about their kids and grandkids. I saw a thread for over 50s and thought it'd be nice to start one to see how many people there were around my age.

A little about me-

My name is Mary. I'm 20 years old and just moved out of the suburbs into the country, to a house smaller than the one we lived in (I live with my parents). I love it here, we're right on the lakefront and its beautiful. I've started going to a small baptist church down the road. (a bit of a culture shock from my Assembly of God background) I also took over the library there too, no one else seemed to be taking care of it. Anyway, I love to read, sew, play video games, fish, ect. I love animals, I have an English bulldog named Delilah, a cockatoo named Hugo, and four cats Oliver, Myrtle, Rupert, and Winifred who is only about 8 or 9 weeks old. (We just adopted her on Halloween day. She's a black cat and named after a witch on one of my favorite movies Hocus Pocus) And I'm not in college yet, but I do plan on studying to become a nurse.

Farmgirl Sister #4195

May your bobbins always be full!

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2012 :  12:38:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm 24 :) My name's Natalie and I own a small ranch in W. Montana with my husband. We have a baby who will turn a year old on Saturday, and we raise Tibetan yak, a Highland cow, Icelandic and Shetland sheep, Silver Fox rabbits, a bunch of chickens, some Muscovy ducks, and 4 dogs :)

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2012 :  11:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Mary.
I'm not 20-something anymore. Somehow I am now 31!!
I have 3 boys, 11, 9 and 7, I married my high school sweetheart and we had our first son when I was 20. He laughs and says when our friends are still changing diapers and toting around strollers we'll be doing much funner stuff with our boys. LOL
I have 4 Jersey cows, that keep us well supplied in milk and cream, 3 horses, 3 dogs, many chickens, 3 ducks, a super-hunter manx cat, a rabbit and a horse trough-pond with Koi and gold fish.

I had a part time job that somehow kept getting more hours added to it until I pulled a whole month of Full time, without the benefits. Had to give my 2 weeks notice, and bought another cow! I'd rather be home with my cows, chickens and boys any day.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Flowerfairy136
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mary
Vicksburg Mississippi
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  09:08:14 AM  Show Profile
Nice to meet you both. Natalie, That's really cool I've never met anyone that raises yaks. And Alicia, I know what you mean. I'd Much rather stay home. And I think Jersey cows are so cute! I love their ears.

Farmgirl Sister #4195

Go to Top of Page

PatioFarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Nicole
Newark DE
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  3:27:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi there Mary!

I don't get on here very often but I'm a 22 year old college farmgirl. Me and my man plan to get a farm after he finishes his master's degree. Right now we just have a patio for potted plants (hence the screen name). It's good to see other 20-somethings on here :)

Go to Top of Page

Flowerfairy136
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mary
Vicksburg Mississippi
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2012 :  4:25:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nicole, Nice to meet you. I know what you mean, Before I moved here we lived in a condo with hardly any space for plants. now we have a much bigger yard. It's not a farm by any means but plenty for anything i'd wanna do except maybe livestock. And even if I fill it up we have a really long pier that I'm fully prepared to line with plants in buckets. Heehee

Farmgirl Sister #4195

Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2012 :  5:31:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary, Natalie, Alicia, and Nicole! I'm 29 and living in Warwick, RI with my husband and our dog :) I'm looking forward to learning "new" old skills from this forum, and chatting with farmgirls of all ages, although you're right, it is nice to meet other girls closer to my age. I do a little cross-stitching, am attempting to plan some nice plantings for our yard, and generally trying (with my husband) to make our house a home! Not so great with the houseplants yet, but maybe one day I will get there!

Farmgirl Sister #4527
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
- Mae West
Go to Top of Page

PatioFarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Nicole
Newark DE
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  3:53:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kate, nice to meet you! That is so true about the houseplants. The ones outside I manage to keep alive and well but the ones inside are essentially doomed. Its probably because I care about the veggies more than ferns and whatnot.

Mary, good call on the pier. Its amazing how much you can do even with a small space isn't it? Heck, I even have a pair of little apple trees out there. I'm planning on expanding by making a vertical hydroponic garden to put behind my slider. As far as livestock goes, I don't think our little cockatiel appreciates it very much when we call her a chicken but she'll get over it, ha!
Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  06:12:09 AM  Show Profile
I agree, Nicole, I thought it would be such a great idea to dig up my rosemary from my herb garden and bring it inside before the cold weather hit (my mom had told me they don't overwinter well and she brings hers in), but now it's pretty much kicked the bucket! I tried giving it plenty of water and sunlight, but still failed...Next rosemary I get will be staying outside...I have this idea that the bed on the south side of my house will be good for an herb garden/butterfly/hummingbird garden, so I'm hoping to add to it as the years go by. Right now it has herbs in it and the occasional tomato plant, but I'm thinking maybe some spirea or other wildlife-attracting shrubs will be good behind the herbs.

Since you're farming on your patio now and planning to go vertical to expand, have you looked into espalier growing? I've been thinking about doing some dwarf apple espalier trees in my backyard, up against the garage wall (once my husband finishes building it, that is). The silly garage is taking up practically all of our space back there! I was not happy about him building it, but am thinking that maybe we can still use the yard for something if we can go up, rather than out, with our space.

Mary, I'm thinking about a career in Library and Information Science and am curious to hear about what you are up to at the library by your house! Had it been abandoned? That actually sounds like a good story to make into a book :) I absolutely love the city library near me - public libraries today have really become community centers, with activities, movies, classes, internet access, an awesome teen room (I'm kind of jealous!), and a whole floor for children's books. So do tell, I'd love to hear!

Farmgirl Sister #4527
- Mae West
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  08:40:14 AM  Show Profile
Katy,
I thought my rosemary would make it mulched and protected outside the first year I grew it, but boy was I wrong! I even tried to baby the little twig that was left back to life to no avail. Now I keep one potted inside and just move the pot outside a few weeks in the spring.

Chives and Cilantro did really well for me with little "babying". The chives are always the first green thing to come back to the garden, with cilantro and parsley close behind. I let both cilantro and parsley go to seed and self sow one year. There are still a few plants that come back, all over the garden. I might replant this year.

Nicole, Many herbs do fine as "house plants". I have rosemary, basil, and sage inside. They are always handy for a little trimming at cooking time too. Nothing beats the smell of fresh rosemary to me!

The hydroponic garden sounds cool. And hope fully your little cockatiel knows you are joking!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  08:49:43 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, my chives never cease to amaze me! Like you said, they are always first to green up and last to go - and they grow back so quickly after I trim them short! I use them in recipes every so often, but apparently not enough to really keep it in check. The bees love the blooms, though, so I figure even if I'm not using the plant, they are! The other thing in my garden that never seems to go away is my mint. I tried being all proactive with it when I planted it in a pot in the ground, thinking it wouldn't spread its roots around and take over my garden, but I have already pulled up a bunch of runners that seem to have escaped!

Farmgirl Sister #4527
- Mae West
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  08:56:01 AM  Show Profile
I couldn't get mint to even grow! I would gladly let it take over!! The cilantro and parsley were doing a good job of that, but I WANTED some mint to grow! lol

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

Flowerfairy136
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mary
Vicksburg Mississippi
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  11:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, I've been busy that past few days. I would love to grow some rosemary too! if nothing else just for the smell! everytime I try it dies a horrible death. It seems the only things I can grow are the things I can stick outside and not mess with and they just flourish. If I try to tend to them they throw a fit so I leave them alone. Two things that have worked well for me are a sedum plant that has been in my family for about 35 years, once again I never mess with I just leave it to it's own devices and it grows beautifully and has pretty purple flowers in the spring. The other thing is Basil, which I don't really use but it's a very pretty green and I love how anytime you brush up against it it releases such a wonderful smell! My only problem is I forget to prune it so after a while it turns from a pretty green to a woody stalk and looks like a weed lol. Do any of you have any experience with lemon trees? I'd love to plant one next year, it seems like it'd be really pretty and I love fresh lemonade, it never tastes good when I use store-bought lemon juice.

Kate- Where we are flooded last year when the mississippi river went up. Not many houses were messed up but alot of piers were (including ours, gotta have your sea legs when you go out on it hehe) but alot of people evacuated because once the water comes in theres no way to get back out because the roads flood. So they said that they had put all the books in storage and but also that the church was broken into while it was vacant. When I got into it, it mostly looked like they had used it for storage with boxes of canned foods and fake plants and such, and the books all in big piles. So I've been clearing out the clutter and trying to organize the books into general sections (Info, Adult, Childrens) I asked someone if it had ever been cleaned up and in use and they said not in the three years they've been going. I found a paper where a few books had been checked out but it was in 2005. So pretty much I've just been purging the books that are torn up, Labeling things that aren't labeled, ect. I was thinking about doing some sort of dewey decimal system maybe but once I got in there and started organizing the books there's not as nearly as many as it looked like when they were piled everywhere so I won't worry about that till there's more of an inventory, but I am thinking of using those library cards and pockets inside the books to keep track of circulation. It's got a ways to go, and it's taking me a while because I also have my own stuff to do what with the move and all but it"s much better than when I started. (by the way if you're interested in libraries, Have you read the book about Dewey the library cat? It's kind of intresting to read because the main person writing is a librarian and it talks alot about her experiences. Plus it's a sweet story.)

Farmgirl Sister #4195

Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  08:16:47 AM  Show Profile
Mary, I have not read the book about Dewey, but I saw it once while working at a local library and thought it looked cute! I'll have to try it out. That is such a great effort you are making with the books! I used to help out with grant writing and development efforts at a few non-profits, and if you are looking for funding for equipment, books, programming, etc., or anything that would help the library to get back up and running again, it is worth a look through www.foundationcenter.org. You can look up funders by any area, and it looks like there are a few local to Vicksburg that might be able to help you if you write a proposal. The Morrison Foundation and Golding Foundation don't accept unsolicited proposals, but in those cases sometimes you can write a brief letter (letter of inquiry) asking if they would be interested in requesting one from you. Foundationcenter.org lets you look at the 990's of all of the funders, and if you can find any that have supported literacy (children's literacy would probably be most likely) or community programming causes in the past, they may be receptive to a proposal for what this library needs. Lots to think about! I'm sure it is a lot to juggle along with your own move. Let me know if I can make any recommendations for you!

Nicole, what Master's degree is your mister working toward? I just enrolled in a graduate class yesterday, for spring of 2013, and am nervous that I'm out of practice with the whole attending classes thing! It's an online program, so not a traditional "class," but still...I haven't been in college for 7 years now (got my B.A. in 2005), so I hope I'm not in for a surprise once this thing gets going! My husband is "self-employed" and does a whole variety of types of work, but our income is slightly spotty since I am the only one who really receives a steady weekly paycheck. It wasn't really convenient for me to sign up to do classes now, but I figured there never will be a "best time" and that if I didn't take the plunge now, I'd miss a good opportunity.

Farmgirl Sister #4527
- Mae West
Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  08:21:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and Mary, the American Library Association (ALA) has a good page of foundations that support libraries as well: http://www.ala.org/offices/wo/woissues/washfunding/grants/grants

Farmgirl Sister #4527
- Mae West
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  08:35:11 AM  Show Profile
Mary, so glad to hear you are working on that library! I love our little local library, and have quite the home collection too. I was just thinking it's time to weed out some of the books that my boys have out grown or don't read anymore. I would gladly send them your way!!
One thing our library has that I LOVE is a magazine sharing rack. I hate throwing away magazines just because I'm done reading them, so I save em to take down there every few weeks. And cross my fingers that I don't come home with just as many!

Kate, Good for you on the classes! You're right, there might not ever be a "best time" or " right time". Congrats! And what is your area of study?

Hubs is the Head Coach for our local youth wrestling program and we are hosting a big "weekend warrior camp" THIS weekend. Ken Chertow is the clinician that puts these on, we had him here last year too. This year he is bringing in Rulon Gardner!! (Rulon was on biggest looser if any of you watch that) Rulon is a Gold medal Olympic wrestler, and I'm still just floored that he will be HERE.
Still lots to do to get ready for Friday.

And on top of that I've got to take Cinnamon, my #2 cow, into the vet on Thursday. She has pyometra (or a massive uterine infection) that we can't seem to get rid of. They want to do a uterine flush. Sounds good, but there's so much that has the potential to go wrong! I just want the poor girl to get better!

Have a great Tuesday ladies!

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  09:11:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alicia! Thanks :) I will be taking an Introduction to Information Science and Technology class, so hopefully that will give me a good overview of the field and I can judge whether it is a career I'd be interested in pursuing.

Nice wrestling pun, too, about being floored ;) Good luck with your weekend warrior camp preparations! That is indeed a very impressive guest you will be having, and certainly a testament to your husband's coaching abilities! Congratulations to him for attracting so much positive attention for his program. And I hope Cinnamon's procedure goes well for her - I am keeping my fingers crossed! It sounds like something the vets do regularly, though, so I am sure she will get through it just fine.

Farmgirl Sister #4527
- Mae West
Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  09:33:25 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for starting a 20s-something thread, Mary! I love all of the sagely advice from our other sisters, but have felt a bit lonely on here :)

I'm a 23 year old city Farmgirl right now, who teaches middle school French, but my husband I have our hearts set on moving further out to the country next year. To satiate my need for growing things, I've created a little oasis on our apartment balcony with herbs, mosquito-repelling plants, and a small Meyer lemon tree. I live near Dallas, TX, so the tree was happy with the heat in a container, but needed constant watering during the triple-digit temps. We've had our first freeze recently, so I've moved it inside since, and it's been a little droopy with less access to sunlight, but ended up flowering again! I stuck it back outside to see if it would get pollinated again, and I'm waiting to see if any bugs made it to the blooms, but from the spring pollination, we had 7 lemons this fall (from a tree that is a whole 2 feet high).

The only animal we have currently is one very spoiled min-pin named Missy. We had chickens, rabbits, and a small garden when I was growing up, as well as being avid hunters, but after moving to a rural-ish development with deed restrictions (to protect the woodsy look of the neighborhood) our urban homesteading stopped.

My husband and I plan to have a jersey cow, some chickens, goats, and maybe some axis deer or black buck when we finally get settled. I'm curious about all of your stories! How did you get started? What were your biggest challenges?

“The closest we will ever come to an orderly universe is a good library.”
Ashleigh Brilliant

http://myfrenchreligion.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  1:40:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ashley! It's nice to meet you. That is very exciting to be in the planning stages of a move. I'm sure it's a little scary, too, leaving your current jobs and the things that you know work well for you in the city. But it certainly sounds worth it :)

Alicia, how did Cinnamon do???

Farmgirl Sister #4527
- Mae West
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2012 :  5:52:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ashley! I've always wanted to try a little lemon tree, how fun! 7 lemons, sounds like the lil guy did good!
I had a grapefruit tree once, from a seed that had sprouted in a grapefruit I was eating, but the cat kept curling up in the pot around it. It only got to be about a foot tall, even at 6 years old. And that is all my fruit tree experience, hahaha.

Cinnamon did good. She seems much better now.
But I was quite peeved at her appointment....
I arrived 15 minutes early, no small feat in itself, loading a cow by yourself that had only ever been hauled once in her life (she did great, it was I who was nervous about getting her in, she walked right in like an old pro).
Anyhow...I arrive early, check in, wait about 25 minutes (now past appointment time), only to be told that they thought I was a walk in and Dr. P didn't realize it was a COW he was seeing. Can I leave her and they will call me when she is done? Ok fine, but I made that appointment 6 days prior for a time I was told Dr. P would have plenty of time to see her and answer questions!
UUUGGHHHH! Very frustrating!
Granted, the vets here aren't used to seeing halter-trained, load in the trailer like a horse, type cows. And Dr. P wasn't the same vet that had seen her the first time, so he didn't know just how much of a "puppy-dog" of a cow she is.

She was flushed twice, lots of pus expelled, her whole reproductive tract checked and some hormone shots to get a heat cycle going. Basically inducing cramps and uterine contractions to help flush the junk out. There were lots of yucky puddles in the pasture for two or three days after (a good sign, the meds were doing their job), and now she looks to be cleared up. Although I am still keeping a very close eye on her, this infection has too hard to kick to just assume that it's gone now!

My biggest worry is her conception rates when we decide it's time to try to breed her again. I'd like to try around the end of Jan, beginning of Feb., that will space out the calving dates enough. But having that infection in her uterus for 2-3 months may have damaged things to much for her to actually conceive.
Fingers crossed, prayers said for when the time comes!
She is turning out to be a nice little girl, but I can't afford to keep her around if she can't contribute! Cows eat too much!!

Are all you ladies ready for Christmas? We just got our tree up last night, decorating will happen this weekend. Shopping is mostly done. I'd rather keep it smaller, my boys don't need a bunch more toys!

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2012 :  11:22:19 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies,

I'm not in my 20s anymore. :( Not sure how that happened. I'm 32. Wow, that looks much older than I feel when I write it. :) Oh well. I'm actually enjoying my 30s more than my 20s so maybe it isn't so bad after all. My husband and I were living in a small town in Western Montana on a little city lot but have since moved to Western Nebraska. We are looking for that chunk of property while we rent so right now I'm garden poor and don't dare have any critters other than my aging Border Collie. I have a 4 year old boy and an almost 2 year old girl. With our recent move I'm getting to stay at home with them and will hopefully be able to get my vegetable and herb garden going again once we find a place to buy.

Thanks for starting this thread. I was beginning to think that there weren't other gals close to my age interested in the same things as me. Although I'm kinda used to that. My spinning group is all quiet a bit older than me. :)

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2012 :  12:51:54 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Katrina! I'm right there with you, 31 looks a lot older than I feel!

Happy Hunting for the perfect piece of property =)

I love staying home with my kids. I thought "once they are all in school I'll take an outside job" but that just didn't work out! A dairy cow, boys who were used to me being able to sign up for all the class parties and field trips, and having to call in when someone was sick with a tummy bug....That J-O-B made life miserable! LOL

So back home I am...gotta finish that batch of ice cream and start more mozarella...
Have a great weekend ladies!

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2012 :  05:15:01 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, I'm glad everything worked out with Cinnamon - I guess some monitoring over the next couple of months will determine the rest!

Hi, Katrina! You know, you expect to feel different when you turn that "one year older," but year to year I never feel any different, or older! I'm sure the numbers sneak up on you that way :) I think the odd years always sound older than the even ones, personally. I'm 29 now, so that will sound older to me than when I turn 30!

Farmgirl Sister #4527
- Mae West
Go to Top of Page

Flowerfairy136
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mary
Vicksburg Mississippi
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2012 :  10:27:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ashley and Katrina, great to meet yall!

Alicia, I am so glad that Cinnamon is getting better! That sounds very unpleasant. I hope she comes to a full recovery soon. Also, I don't think I've ever heard of a cow that was halter trained and traveled so nicely in a trailer, She sounds really sweet. And I would greatly appreciate any books that you'd be willing to send, as long as it wouldn't too much trouble for you.

Kate- Thanks so much for all the info! I really need to look into it more.

Is it cold were everyone else is? It rained ALL last night and now it's freezing! (I had to buy Hugo a heated perch for his cage and wouldn't you know it, he chewed the wires exposed within a couple of hours! *Sigh* It's a wonder that he didn't get electrocuted! Good thing Pop's an electrician. He fixed it up and I had to run the entire cord through PVC piping that I then had to lash to his cage.) Of course it's probably not as bad to those of you who live farther north, you're probably used to much colder weather than we are. The weird thing down here is that it'll warm back up in a few days. It never seems to stay cold over a week maybe, but usually less. If it does its a freak of nature it seems like. I've gone Christmas shopping in a t-shirt before. By the way, how's all of yall's Christmas preparations going? We've got all our decorations up and the tree too. Kinda short on money, so not giving much this year. Just a few "happies" for the immediate family (And the animals hehe).

*Update on the library* it's still going kind of slow. Worked a little on Sunday, moving out more stuff like crafting items for the kids classes which made it look MUCH less cluttered. Found more stuff in there that wasn't there last time, so someone is actively putting things in there. I figure that either they don't know that being cleaned up and that it's not a storeroom any more (which is unlikely because its a tiny church and everyone seems to know about it and keep asking me how it's going, which is slightly stressful) or they think that the library is the appropriate place to store excess junk, so I put a note on the door saying "Library under renovation. Please only put library associated items in it." Then said thanks for your understanding and that if they have any questions feel free to ask. Then signed my name and wrote "Librarian" under it which made me feel fancy ^_^

Farmgirl Sister #4195

Edited by - Flowerfairy136 on Dec 10 2012 10:38:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  1:51:18 PM  Show Profile
Haha, a heated perch! That must feel nice...kind of like when people use heated towel bars after a shower :) My parents are installing one in their bathroom!

Yule prep hasn't really happened yet, besides the wreath on my door. And hubby and his family are Jewish, so we lit the Menorah the other night but failed to buy a new box of candles this year, so I guess we'll reserve the rest for tonight or tomorrow! (As you can tell he's not very observant! This year we're being pretty half-assed with everything.) Maybe we'll get our tree this weekend - it's supposed to be warmer (and actually it has been in the 40's-50's most days up here, which is unusual for this time of year). Cold tonight!!! It was 25 degrees when I was driving to work this morning at 7:30 a.m....

As for gifts, I am passing on shopping this year in favor of homemade gifts. I figured it would be less stressful, just as personal (if not more) to give homemade peach butter and orange cranberry bread, and my family is psyched about getting those! Luckily they appreciate gifts that are handmade and do not expect anything expensive. They know we kids have no money! :) What is everyone else doing for presents/holiday prep?

Farmgirl Sister #4527
- Mae West
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2012 :  4:37:08 PM  Show Profile
I'm missing really cold and wintery weather. It just hasn't hit so far this year. Although at this point I'd rather it didn't for a couple of weeks so we can do our Christmas travelling. I'm pretty much done with Christmas other than getting a box shipped. Lots of people are getting homemade little treats this year. I just don't have the money to go crazy buying and shipping things. We aren't setting up a tree this year since we are travelling and we are moving. We have lights and our cards but that's it.

I am WAY behind on my Christmas card writing and sending though. Haven't even gotten one done. Guess I'd better get crackin' and hope that I can get them out by Easter. ;)

Funny how the time passes so quickly. Both for our aging and the holidays.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

Kat

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any Twenty-something Farmgirls out there? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page