JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  1:10:26 PM  Show Profile
hi ya'll, what's new for thanksgiving this yr. i am making homemade pumpkin pies from the pumpking in the garden, also my son is getting married on sat. 7th. what a holiday this one will be. i take coloured leaves and mark names on them on thanksgiving day, where everyone sits to the dinner table, they thought that was pretty cool. what are some of your girls traditions? i always make summer savory dressing with the turkey, it is a hit with all, here! jo~

love is all you need

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  1:54:05 PM  Show Profile
Fried Okra with the regular traditional turkey dinner (cornbread dressing) My grandma always did fried okra and so I do too. I actually grew just enough okra for a big skillet full on Thanks giving this year from my own garden and froze it.
Summer savory sounds good! I grew quite a bit of sage this year..and will use that and other herbs from the garden. Oh..and we always have red jello with bananas.
I LOVE the idea with writing names on the leaves Jo!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  3:14:37 PM  Show Profile
DH does three different turkeys each Thanksgiving - one pineapple one, one with butter and herbs and one spicy (usually with a wildgame dry rub mix.) He loves turkey and can eat it forever (and ever) and buys as many as he can get while they are on sale. He'll cook a couple and then freeze the leftovers for later on...

I love having baked sweet potatoes (served liked baked potatoes with fresh butter and sour cream), baked winter squash/pumpkin stuffed with a savory sausage and cornbread dressing, homemade cranberry and orange relish, asparagus with butter, and some sort of a green veggie - usually a spinach or greens dish - DH loves creamed spinach.

If there is more than just the two of us, we'll add a winter salad of some kind and dinner rolls. Maybe some appetizers if there are a lot of people.

This year we will probably add the family's corn pudding recipe which is basically eggs, cheese and corn baked in a souffle.

Desert is probably either a winter fruitcake (cranberries, candied fruit and nuts) served with whipped cream, or a pecan pie, or oatmeal cookies with dried cranberries and walnuts in them.

What might be an even better thread is recipes for using up LEFTOVER turkey!!!

I cook mine in a crock pot with barbecue sauce and simmer it for hours until it is all stringy and tender. Serve on soft rolls like pulled pork.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  4:13:22 PM  Show Profile
Well it's hard for me since I don't eat meat, but I usually cook a large turkey breast for my husband, but when our sons/or others come, we cook a big traditional turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, early peas, fresh fruit salad, brocoli casserole, yeast rolls, chocolate pies - like my mother always did, plus pumpkin pies, and ice cream for later. We usually have a condiment tray for nibbling, like pickles, olives, celery with cream cheese, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, and those little pickled baby ears of corn, and strawberries on the side if we can get them in the stores. I hate to cook this just for us, but when we have special ones coming....well we just go for it!

love, hugs, and strawberries, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  1:40:17 PM  Show Profile
man bluewerrn that sounds soooo good, i am all alone this yr. i have a son getting married tomorrow, so i guess that thanksgiving is out lol! i have family all around me though u'd think they'd invite me wouldn't ya? oh well! i am stubborn, i'll eat alone! my hubby took off with another witch lol! i think she was even on a broom tee he~!!! no it is hard, but i will get through it! i am hoping i will get invited out to my sister's she lives next door, and i have another son lives about 10 miles from me he is the baby 32 yrs old? maybe he'll come see me? anyways u all have a happy thanksgiving day ok! and i will be thinking of all that food. i will probably get my halloween dummy made for halloween this yr.on sunday, that'll keep me busy! by for now love from jo!

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  6:02:46 PM  Show Profile
hi jo ... just got home but my head is spinning with halloween and thanksgiving ideas! we will probably go to toledo for thanksgiving to see those babies again! will post some 'ideas' next week. we're heading for perryville, kentucky civil war re-enactment over the weekend!

oh .. one project that lucas and i did .. and i'm going to do here too ... gather beautiful autumn leaves .. press them in a book to dry flat (a few days) .. then spray them with a fixitive .. (to help retain the color) .. then spray the back with a 'removable' glue .. and put decorate with them on your WALLS! (i haven't tried this yet .. so don't know if it will take the paint off .. will probably put them somewhere that i don't mind if the glue is tacky after scraping them off come wintertime!)

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  6:19:38 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, I love that idea. I went out today to pick some off a tree & put them in a pretty bucket w/ pussywillows, love the way it looks. I got the idea from my beloved & favorite Vermont person in the world, Tasha Tudor.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  05:17:54 AM  Show Profile
Jo -- Could you 'suggest' to your sister that you'd like an invitation to Thanksgiving? If you're not comfortable with that, plan a day for yourself -- make your own Thanksgiving dinner, just what you want, the way you like it. Wish we could have you fly in and join us! We have a little family of three, and then we go to my in-laws (quite elderly -- 89 and 91) with the pumpkin pie and sit and have coffee and pie. My mother-in-law's family was from Newfoundland, I believe -- near you? at least according to my memory of elementary school geography.

Anyway, keep your head up. Be the witch, er, gal you want to be! I am thankful for you and all the gals here on the Farm this year.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  05:40:31 AM  Show Profile
Jo, one year (long ago) I was going through a TERRIBLE divorce from a terrible man. Although I have tons of family, none really knew at that point what was really going on. It was just before Thanksgiving that I found him w/ a friend. I was so distraught, feeling bad, sad & everything else. I didnt want to be around my family for a Happy gathering & planned to just be by myself & cry. I ended up going to a kitchen that feeds the homeless on that day. BEST THING I EVER DID! You will feel good again, I promise.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  06:51:46 AM  Show Profile
thankyou sooo much girls, i know it is soooo!! hard, my son got married yesterday too, and i cried all the way through it. i know i have to get my life into perspective, it definately is his loss, but it hurts oh so much. i cannot believe it still, he procrasinates too, as he still says he don't know what he wants! hmmm!!! well i know, i am in this house all alone, i guess that doesn't help any, but i know i will get on with it sooner or later. i know what u mean michele! i want to be alone all the time and i cry of and on alot.it is even hard to be around anyone as i feel sometimes angry. i lost alot of weight and i am looking awfull, i took that idiot back so many times, and i think he is just playing me and has been all the long. anyways i am about to serve him with seperation papers, and get it over with. i have no interest in even looking at anyone else, but maybe someday who knows? eh? people say things happen for a reason! i just wish i knew what this reason was.? thankyou for all being so supportive, don't know what i would do without all of u! love as ever jo~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  07:07:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jo, just think how much better your life will be when you get through all this! All we need in life is - the best that (we) can be! You can do it! He is not the one for you or this would not happened! Get right with you inside, and think of positive things in your life. You just had a beautiful wedding, and the love of your son! First thing I would do is change your profile here - to Jo! Jo is a beautiful thing and you will get through all of this with a good spirit, your friends, your church, through love, and support, through courage....and Michele is oh so right! When you get out and help someone else - it truly helps you! You see things in a different way! Think positive! My father use to tell me growing up "can't never did anything, so you CAN do it". You will be in my thoughts and prayers, and get out there and do whatever it is that YOU want to do! You'll feel us all right there behind you!

You also could cook a beautiful Thanksgiving feast, and invite an elderly couple or person, someone from work or church and share it with them, or go to a homeless shelter or soup kitchen and help them cook the feast like Michele said! Your heart will glow.....and sing!

Let us know what you decide!

love, hugs and strawberries forever and ever, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  09:27:56 AM  Show Profile
Things WILL get better Jo..I agree with berries that you should change your sign in name here..that has to be hard for you to see each time!!
I went through a divorce years ago that was a real hard one..not your same situation but an abusive terrible nut and I was still so hurt and in pain after. I had to put on a brave face since my oldest boys were young at the time. I have NEVER regretted that decision. But boy those first holidays were hard! I feel for you and will sure keep you in my thoughts and prayers! You are such a sweet and thoughtful person..you deserve so much better!
Stick with us we all love you so!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  10:16:56 AM  Show Profile
We will probably go to the Mess Hall. Yep that's right. While I love doing the whole big family thing, this is also a tradition for us. Every Thanksgiving the Dining Facility puts out a huge spread, decorates, displays all thier recent competition pieces (beautiful stuff!), has Ice sculptures, etc. Also Thanksgiving is a Dress Blues occasion in the Army -- so the guys look just as yummy! ;) and the officers/staff serve the line, and tables.

I'm sure this started by being away from families, etc. But it's a lot of fun and I don't have to clean up!

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  1:17:52 PM  Show Profile
ps.........and we will of course be Thankful for all our blessings no matter where we eat! Anytime hubby is actually home it's a bonus.

Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  6:30:10 PM  Show Profile
well girls i got invited to thanksgiving dinner tomorrow at my sisters isn't that great! my grandparents are from newfoundland too, my mom though was born here in springhill n.s. how do i change my profile?i'm not to swift on these comps. yet lol! i will try to see if i can. fer sure. yeh it is hard, but everyday i seem to get harder in sprit. i prayed sooo many nights, 12 yrs. who would have dreamed i did love him soooo,. the funny thing is i hear the one he is with has been around, and she probably won't keep him long. actually he is freeloading there she is keeping him and he is keeping me so far! something has to be wrong with his brain!!! i hear from another forman last night at my son's wedding dance, he is packing frozen dinners everyday to work tee hee! he never got thos gere always home cooked meals,must be the farm girl in me,i cleaned some of my old basement today what a mess! nuts and bolts everywhere read the musty basement topic i wrote in tonight?? it is too funny! thankyou girls! u r all sooo wonderfull, it helps to hear i am not the only one this has happened to. love fom jo!

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  6:48:26 PM  Show Profile
hi girls any help i can't seem to change my name on the profile? thanks jo

i thought love was all you needed? courage is needed too!
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  6:53:02 PM  Show Profile
still trying here? oh well! will try again tomorrow jo don't know what i'm doen wrong?lol

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  8:57:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi, there, Jo! I'll ask the folks up at MJF how to change your profile and let you know... I'm so glad to have you here - just stick with your farmgirl friends - we'll hold you up when you want or need it - AND, we're HAPPY to do it!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  05:03:26 AM  Show Profile
thanks libby you all have helped a great deal believe me. my sister's dil, is making rauppie pie, it is a french acadian dish! she makes it every occasion, it is soooo good. did any of you ever hear tell of it!? she is french from weymouth n.s. she is a sweetheart. she is a new farm girl, her and her husband are taking over the farm from her husbands parents, she also lives in a hudge farm house, they have blueberries every yr. and they have logging, so they are busy alot. well i have to get off my fanny and stop mopeing this morning, can't get that man out of my head at times, got my dill grounded down this a.m. already anyways, i seem to have to be busy constantly,i make myself tired lol! have a good day! love from jo!

Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  1:40:04 PM  Show Profile
well ya'll, had a lovely dinner at my sisters, her daughter in law made raupie pie, i mowed the lawn today too. on the ride on, learning alot being alone, starting to be not too bad lol! happy day everyone jo

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  2:51:55 PM  Show Profile
Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadian Farmgirls! It seems so much wiser to have Thanksgiving this time of year. I think the US should follow. JoAnn

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  7:33:43 PM  Show Profile
Why do you think it's wiser to have Thanksgiving now rather than a month from now? Not sure I follow.

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  07:17:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanksgiving in the US is to close to Christmas. Wouldn't it be nice to have a couple of months between two major holidays? JoAnn

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  08:37:14 AM  Show Profile
mountain girl i know this yrs. thanksgiving was a chore with a wedding in the middle lol! wow i am glad it is farther then xmas as the two is tiring but for me this yr. it was stressfull as i am alone this yr. with hubby taking off, plus sitting through a wedding and thinking of me getting a divorce. wow!!! too much. happy thankgiving to you all that have it next month! love from jo

Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  08:56:25 AM  Show Profile
well berries i tried and it won't change the name, i even e mailed cindy lou, finially i looked at the faq~~~ frequently asked questions and found out from that i guess i can't change it anyways oh well i'll just his name has an? he and two l's instead of al lol!!!! talking to him today spatting more like it?. he says i got it all what more do i need, because i need to get the bills paid here, and he's there playing house with well??? i better not say it on here? alsoi got the car, and need it inspected, plus it needs new tires,and registrration, also i think the strutts are going, and breaks are squeeking, boy what luck i am having eh? tottle loo!! love from jo! happy day

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  4:16:39 PM  Show Profile
Jo, Hang in there, my sister in Canada had a bad time when she divorced her no good husband. Looked like she might be stuck with some of his bad debts etc. Long story short it all turned out for the best.She gained self confidence and a new perspective on how truly a wonderful person she is(ex's strategy was to control and belittle her) She's happier than ever found a new soul mate and has won over all of his family (he was married before too) and still plays cards with the ex's sister. It seems hard now but take one day at a time brighter skies are ahead. Oh in honor of Canadian Thanksgiving we roasted Cornish game hens. JoAnn

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic thanksgiving Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page