Page: of 2

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  2:58:05 PM  Show Profile
Actually I really enjoy having the holidays close together.......that way we get a whole festive season but I see your point. What irritates me is that most store completely skip from Halloween to Christmas and Thanksgiving gets barely a nod. Very sad considering our country started that way!

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Norskema
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Candace
Central Indiana Area
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  8:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Norskema an AOL message
Hi Jo! I don't think you can change your profile name on your own. I'd try going to the top of the page and click on FAQs. At the bottom of the list you can click on a link to write an email to the moderator. Maybe they can help you make the change. As for the guy who left you - it happens far too often but you'll get through it. You've had a lot going on. When my son got married I felt a lot like I was losing him and in a sense I was and it was very bittersweet. I was happy he found a woman he loved but wished he was still my little guy too. So you had a double dose of loss going on. These transitions as we get older just aren't as smooth going are they? You hang in there and I'm so glad you got your Thanksgiving invitation. I'll bet everything was delicious.

Every way of a man seems right to himself but the Lord is the tester of hearts. Proverbs 21:2
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  05:53:29 AM  Show Profile
hi norskema., yeh! well actually, my son was having his second marriage, but i lost his dad in 1993 he was only 45 with a brain tumour. and well it was hard for the wedding too, and my other son reminds me soooo much of his dad, between all of this foolishnesswith allan, and thinking of my first husband, and my son's six yr. old (was the best man) but had other older best men there two others actually, but little dillon mike's son my grandson what a cutie in his tux, and he handed his dada the ring? heart breaking. oh my! really an emotional day. al's mom was here last night, she is devistated too as well? she's a momma and i know where she is coming from. but she is soooo worried for allan, but he did this, he may be facing jail time too! he got caught drinking and driving4th time last time though was 11 yrs. ago he started doing this when he met up with that?? i won't say it. sooo! he is in the fog fer sure. i am positive this with this other??? won't last with him and her! but who knows eh? well i suppose, i will get over this someday. it was hard to see his mom go this a.m. and i am still having crying freeks! when will that ever stop? i wonder? by for now! i think i will get at that musty ol basement, again today, later, love form jo! p.s. thankyou all for so much support, love u all jo~

i thought love was all you needed? courage is needed too!
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  08:26:38 AM  Show Profile
We're spending Thanksgiving with my parents. It will be a traditional German meal because my dad will be cooking. I am supplying the vegetable dish - I think I will do the green beans with toasted pecans and crumble blue cheese.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  08:59:10 AM  Show Profile
anne that sounds soooo good share the recipee??? please, jo!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  10:12:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love thanksgiving. My BF and I usually invite all the "homeless" friends over. They aren't really homeless but they usually can't get home for thanksgiving because they are trying to take christmas off etc.

One year we had 26 people over in our itty bitty 2 bedroom apartment! That year I cooked a 30lb turkey! This year I don't think we will have as many people over, but I still love having company. I hope I am feeling better about food by the time Thanksgiving rolls around. I woul hate to have to deal with morning sickness and still try and cook- UGH!

Once I do start feeling better I am going to start cooking way before hand though. I am going to make and freeze cookies, pies, cinnamon rolls, and dinner rolls. I'll be lucky if they last to Thanksgiving though- BF might get into them!
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  10:30:39 AM  Show Profile
Jocelyn -

Here is the green bean recipe, very easy to make.

1 lb green beans (about 4 cups) or two 9 oz. packages frozen french style green beans
3 slices bacon
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or Gorgonzola cheese (2 ounces)
1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted or I like pecans, toasted

Place a steamer basket in a saucepan: add water till it almost touches the bottom of the basket. Bring water to boiling. Add fresh beans. Cover and steam for 18 to 22 minutes or till crisp-tender: drain. (or cook frozen beans according to package directions: drain).

Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook bacon till crisp. Drain, reserving dripping in skillet. Crumble bacon: set bacon aside. Cook onion over medium heat in reserved drippings till tender but not brown. Stir in lemon juice. Add green beans, toss to coat. Heat through. Add crumbled blue cheese or Gorgonzola cheese and crumbled bacon. Heat and stir 1 minute more or till cheese begins to melt. Sprinkle with walnuts. Transfer to serving bowl. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

This recipe is from my "Stay for Supper" cookbook by Country Home.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  03:19:45 AM  Show Profile
anne i will try that dish for sure as it seems easy and no flour in it where i can't eat flour! i love beans, i froze a wack of them from my garden this yr. too. thanks jo! maybe good at xmas fer sure

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  04:47:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Anne! I have that cookbook and have loved everything I've made from it! Haven't unearthed it in a while . . . must do that today. Thanks for the reminder. Maybe I'll try those green beans.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic thanksgiving Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page