kaym
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Kathy
New London CT
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2005 :  6:28:33 PM  Show Profile
Ok, Ladies- I have received a reply from the CEO of Professional Paint. It looks like the only way we are going to get this stuff is to go to Canada:

Kathryn,

Thanks you for your inquiry. We are the parent company of General Paint in Canada but are unable to sell the melamine paint in the U.S. This is a solvent based product that does not meet the VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) limits set by the U.S. EPA. We are working on a formulas that will meet these standards but it is not U.S. compliant yet. Thanks,

Kent Child - President / CEO

Professional Paint, Inc.

All the best-
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  04:15:14 AM  Show Profile
Ladies! I am looking at my can of Melamine paint right now! I bought it at a store called Siperstein's and am not sure if it was the new formulation or old that they were allowed to sell if still in stock. There was a certain type of sprayer paint my husband liked for work that has been discontinued for the same VOV regs.But they are allowed to sell whatever they have in stock until it is gone.
The Melamine Urethane Enamel paint can be used for wood, tile, metal, formica and as I discovered (when the dog pushed the back door open and knocked over the ladder) also ugly vinyl flooring. My cousin had painted and stenciled her laundry room floor and it looked great so after the dog mishap ( and it was a TERRIBLE mess!) I got a roller with a long pole and painted the floor. It is a very thick, sticky paint and it is not easy to clean up if spilled . The floor turned out pretty well considering I was painting the cabinets! And I did mix some pigment in to give it a faux stone look on the floor so I guess your idea on the counter would work Meadowlark!
Ventillate, ventillate , ventillate! I can't say it enough, this paint (if you can find it...)smells SOOOOOOO bad and for longer than normal. This is far from an organic product!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  04:27:34 AM  Show Profile
http://siperstein.com/
There is an online catalog and contact info for all of you.Good luck!

7 NJ locations
1 CT (Stamford)
1 Massachussetts (Springfield)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  04:34:48 AM  Show Profile
Bramble, Thanks for the info! ( Clare too) Dh will be making a few trips to Canada soon, soooo if he has the time I may have him pick up a few cans of paint for me there. I am going to do more research on it. It sure would be a cheaper alternative to a new counter top look. I do like the old fashined countertops of the 30's and 40's. My grandma had a green one with the metal edge in her house. I loved her kitchen. Green was her favorite color. Green walls, green aprons, green counters.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  04:44:58 AM  Show Profile
I also saw a neat look for counter tops in the June Country Living Mag. The tops were wrapped in sheets of zinc and also the edges, tacked with finishing nails. It had a real rustic look next to the wood cabinets. Zinc sheets are relatively inexpensive. I showed the article to DH and the first thing he said was "those nails will catch on your clothes" I still like the idea though.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  05:52:09 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark- Was your gran born in or around 1914? When we moved here my husband's gran had EVERYTHING green and not nice jadite green either! Think what Pepto Bismal is to pink... That is what my bathroom is floor to ceiling and all four walls! Argh.... Some nice beadboard and new walls are in the offing but....enough is enough of the seasick green! She had very nice taste in furniture and accessories so I could never figure out how she could go so wrong with color!She was a darlin' inspite of it!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  06:06:06 AM  Show Profile
She was born in 1896, so technically from about that same era. I know what you mean about that chalky color of green! Her house was full of it! She said green was her favorite color, that it helped her feel calm. Sometimes I wonder looking back on her life if she was bi-polar. She could have incredible energy and was the most beautiful seamstress I have ever seen. She made my Barbies exquisite little outfits. Then she would retreat into herself and sleep for days, and be very grumpy. She was very gifted and intelligent, but seemed haunted at the same time. But oh how she loved that putred color green!

Go to Top of Page

kaym
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Kathy
New London CT
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  10:37:47 AM  Show Profile
Well- it is a dead end- I called the CT store- he said that everyting was shipped there when it was discontinued last year and he has none left.

quote:
Originally posted by bramble

http://siperstein.com/
There is an online catalog and contact info for all of you.Good luck!

7 NJ locations
1 CT (Stamford)
1 Massachussetts (Springfield)

with a happy heart

All the best-
Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  11:14:35 AM  Show Profile
Debbie's paint is sold at Canadian Tire stores in Canada. I'm not sure though if the melamite is. You can check at this site.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/

However, even if you crossed the border to purchase some, in all likelihood you won't be able to bring it back across the border.

~Carol
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  2:08:33 PM  Show Profile
Countrymamma, Will Canadian customs take the paint back or will US customs not let it in? I don't understand, it's just paint...

Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  2:33:32 PM  Show Profile
I would definitely check with customs (American) before I purchased it. If melamite is not made in the States because of restrictions, I'm sure they won't allow Canadian made in.

Canadian customs will not have anything to do with it. It would be American customs who do. I have to say here both customs have gotten really strict on what crosses or doesn't cross borders.

~Carol
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  2:36:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Countrymamma... You are right about it being strict now, probably has to do with some law the US EPA has in place. Thanks for your help! Jenny

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  5:58:32 PM  Show Profile
A little more investigating and I discovered that the paint has stopped being made in it's former composition due to Volatile Organic Compounds (new EPA regs) . That doesn't surprise me because the store that sold it to me said that no one could smoke anywhere near where I was painting (no one does here) and that as I stated it had to be well ventillated. Apparently it is both noxious in fume and flammable. A darn shame because it is the best paint I have ever used on much painted cabinets!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  07:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
What about just tiling your countertops? You can get discontinued tile pretty cheap, the mastik should adhere just fine to laminate countertops, you can either bullnose the edge or use Hard as Nails to attatch a piece of wood trim and voila! No more Burnt Orange/rust red/moldy yellow countertops.
Go to Top of Page

Suljer
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

1 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2005 :  9:03:40 PM  Show Profile
Melamine Paint

Can you tell me if the store called Siperstein's has a website or email address? What was the cost of the melamine paint per gallon? Does the can have a manufacturer name, address, phone number or website on it?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Make It Easy: Previous Topic Home (house?) Renovations Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page