Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Kristina
CT
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  10:18:54 AM  Show Profile
How do you all structure your day?

I want to sew, bake, cook, craft, plus play with the kids and do my other housework.

Between errands and baby-tendin', I don't ever have the time to sit down for special projects.

I didn't ever want to be so structured and scheduled, but with 5 kids and a husband (so what, 6 kids?? ) I'm afraid I'll have to.

Do you have "errand" day or "sewing" day or anything like that? How do you fit into your day all the things you want to do??

Kristina
Mama of 5
Seeker of a simpler life
www.clothcraze.com

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  10:45:12 AM  Show Profile
I do things during naptime and during early morning before everyone else is awake. When they are awake we play and Do housework (I make a game out of housework, so that Grace will want to help me-though I obviously do most of the work) all together. I do things in 15 mintue bursts so that it all gets done.

I also take advantage of bedtime. They go to bed at 8. I sew, or whatever, while Rob does some evening work outside, then at 10, when Zoe wakes up, I nurse her again and she goes back to sleep and Rob and I spend our time together and go to bed around midnight.
Granted I only have two kids and ahusband, but it's still a busy life!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  11:25:08 AM  Show Profile
I am a scheduler for sure. I got that way when I got up to 3 kids at home. I make a to do list for the next day before I go to bed and leave it at my spot at the kitchen table for morning. I also do ALOT after the kids are in bed. I have a hard time sleeping so I get alot done then. My kids at home are all school age now..youngest is 9 so I do have time while they are gone this time of year. I have really missed them since they went back to school though...we had ourselves quite a routine this summer for the first time really. We work together pretty well.
I like the 15 minute bursts thing with housework too..and I multi task alot. ALOT.
My kids go to bed at 8:30 on shcool nights and 9pm on other nights unless there is a really special reason to stay up. sometimes it gets stretched in summer a little..but not much. I am very patient after 9am and before 9pm and after that I need some quiet it seems..haha
I like to be busy (good thing, right?) but I do best if I have a schedule. It is ALL on the calendar too..I couldn't keep up with the stuff for 4 kids, husband and myself other wise!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  12:29:56 PM  Show Profile
i'm not at all a 'scheduler' ..but i do conjure up 'plans' .. honey hunk and i are footloose and fancy free ... all our children are grown .. and we are in those fun 'freedom years' of our lives .. and i am very much and have always been a 'serendipity' kinda' gurl!

however, i have indeed had children, a job, a home, husband, doll club, tea parties, projects, and FUN FUN FUN to be had. i just always pretty much prioritized what was important and let the other stuff simmer on the back-burner until (and if) i ever got to it! looking back, i realize that was a very wise and stress-free way for me to live.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  4:54:39 PM  Show Profile
I am a pretty laid back person, and I don't get my "feathers ruffled" too much, but I learned after I had my 2nd child that I needed a pretty strict routine, otherwise I would just be too tired!
With my littlest ones, I really don't get a whole lot of crafting done while they are awake, but they go to bed early.

I am in the process of revamping my weekly schedule, so I will do deep cleaning and scouring the bathrooms on one day, baking on one day, and errands on another...my husband is now working on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, so the rhythm of our week is different....we have just kind of been in chaos during the transition time, and being the Mama, I am the one who absorbs everything....

I saw a show on TLC last night about a woman who had 5 year old twins, and sextuplets that are 16 months old, her husband works 12 hour days, and to make ends meet she works on Saturdays....talk about a schedule!!

Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  9:16:38 PM  Show Profile
WEll, with 5 children and a hubby and some animals, I have decided that I cannot get it all done in a day and sometimes I cannot get it done in a week. I get done what I have to, take some me time during the day to get a spurt of sewing or crafting or reading done and then I play with the children and that is it.

I am always telling myself that the children will be grown waaaaaay tooooo sooon and I will have all that free time to have a clean home and do all the crafting/sewing/baking etc. that I want to do now.

Yeah, there are days that I wish I had more time to do more but I just cannot dwell on it. So I just try to pay attention to when the time is right to squeeze in some of that baking, crafting, sewing, etc.

((HUGS))) cause I am right there with you!!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 6 months!!
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  7:39:13 PM  Show Profile
My 4 sons are grown now,but I remember this all too well. I used to get house work done on 5 days of the week and give myself 2 days "off" for instance on thurs. and friday I did no house cleaning or laundry that was not critical. these were my days to do crafts, sewing, go shopping etc. Now mind you these things were done with the help of 4 boys and there were still meals to do and playtime with the guys, but at least it was a day to look forward to for me. Some weeks I only got one day or one hour,but I really looked forward to it.
Have fun with those kids ,they will grow pretty quick.
TEDDIE
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  09:13:02 AM  Show Profile
I guess one does what one does at there own pace. We lived the country life and loved it. Oh to go back to those (to me calmer times). I was lucky enough to be a stay at home mom, fence fixer, animal keeper, craftmaker, 4H leader and I didn't even have a car. I will say my house did have that lived in look. I have 4 girls and they early on learned they were responsible for taking care of there own space. For many years we lived in a two bedroom farmhouse and after the lastborn we added on two bedrooms. We had and are still having fun and you can do it if you have the right heart-set. I do drive now and love it like a teen-ager. But it does change life.

Life may not be the party we hoped for..but while we are here we might as well dance!
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  09:22:20 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I've learned you just do what you can when you can. When I get upset about the piles of laundry or my house not being tidy I remind myself that one day soon the kids will all be gone and I'll have all the time in the world for those things. Enjoy them while you can.

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  10:06:59 AM  Show Profile
How does one get it all done? For me, the focus isn't getting it "all" done but little pieces here and there. Finishing a task like the dishes or laundry is not the goal because as soon as the sink is empty someone comes along and piles more in there. I simply try to do a little of everything every single day and that suits me well. My children are completely involved in everything I do as well. Yesterday, I taught my children (5 and 3)how to put their clothes away...My 5 year old is a wonderful folder and my 3 year old is a great duster...We make all kinds of games and they just love being 'helpful'. I also don't subscribe to the idea of "there will be plenty of time later on....when kids are grown...." The morbid side of me reminds me, what if there isn't that time? What if Life happens and that time is taken from me somehow...For me, better to enjoy the moment..the present. I make time for myself every single day. I give myself a good hour to sew, or to create something...usually my kids are more than happy to be involved..especially when I'm sewing. They organize buttons, play with scrap fabric, watch me stitch and so forth so I feel like we are still having some constructive creative time together.
I also think it is so important to take stock once in a while.. I never cease to be amazed at what I can juggle in any given day as I'm sure all of you do as well.. It is truly astounding.
Getting it all done? What would be the purpose? Enjoying the process of tackling what you can...that's for me!
Cheers,
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  10:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I have 4 children ages 3-8 and I homeschool as well as attempt to farm, so there is always a "to-do" list a mile long. I have a first this, then this type of schedule so we basicaly know how the day is going to go, but time and clocks mean very little to me. I keep my sewing set up in its area (currently the dinning room since we are flip flopping a few rooms around) and sneak moments to sew. I usualy tell my self, ok I am going to sew until the wash cycle is done and then I'll go hang the laundry. Then maybe I'll work for the 10-12 minutes it takes a sheet of cookies to bake...After the kids go to bed, hubby and I talk or watch a video while I work on those secret projects we all having going on this time of year. Like a few of the girls aready mentioned, teaching the kids to help is a must. Yesterday morning, before I had even finished my first cup of coffee (my 6 year old made that), my 8 year old came in and announced that he had already feed and watered the goats, ducks, and chickens...this is usualy a chore we do together, but he slipped out and did it himself to suprise me. My kids stack and haul wood, water and weed the garden, load and unload the dishwasher, manage the living room and school area, and are responsable for thier bed rooms. Usualy we work together, because we all enjoy our work more that way, but if need be they can manage their chores alone. Also, the less you have the easier it is to keep things tidy.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic How do you do it??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page