Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are you a 'lurker'? Next Topic  

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  4:16:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi -- I'm just wondering how many gals read the postings and never write a response -- and why? I'm noticing how many replies there are on a topic vs. the great number of those who have read. It would be great to get more to join in the postings. Don't be shy -- speak up, get your fingers running across the keyboard, and write your thoughts. More voices --> more fun!! (And more perspectives, etc.)

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  4:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Katie,
I read a lot more than I post, simply because of time. Also, sometimes I will read a post one day and then answer later once I have a good reply. I am starting to learn that I do not like the taste of my foot--must me those nasties I steped in on my way back from the barn.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  8:16:20 PM  Show Profile
Trina -- I know what you mean about having a good reply. I find myself criticizing my own words and have a hard time expressing myself well sometimes. Just want to encourage those who wish to join in, to do so.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  05:03:34 AM  Show Profile
I also criticize my own replies, and I do not do that with everyone elses, just my own. That is why I love the edit button above our postings. I can go back and revise my words! Thank goodness!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  08:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
The edit button is a good idea...I should learn to use it more.

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  10:22:02 AM  Show Profile
I'm the same way- sometimes I just need to put a bit of thought behind what I am going to say and other times I just plunge right in. Jeannie- the edit button is my best friend! Thank heaven there's something that let's you "tweak" your words 'til they are just right. :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  12:52:37 PM  Show Profile
katie .. i, too, noticed that when i first joined the forum. i do so wish more of the girls who visit ... would jump in to say howdy from time to time or to share a little story or question or advice. everyone has gifts to give ... and i don't think any of us are critical of anything that anyone says in kindness. when i get home .. it might be a fun thing to have a little 'game and prize' for new posters!! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  1:26:35 PM  Show Profile
I lurk more than I post. It is just because I don't have tons of time to reply. I do to the ones I feel I can contribute the most to or give some support.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  12:42:11 PM  Show Profile
Excellent topic-sometimes I just have time to read and boy, if you are away for a bit-it is ever so hard to catch back up-but it is so fun! This has been an absolutely wonderful but busy summer for me, but now things are slowing down and I hope to be able to post more often. I want to share some exciting news about my DREAM move to NC-that is why it has been such a busy summer. It should happen in 2007 and I am sooo excited!
Ellen in MI :)
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  2:10:56 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

I used to post alot, but my computer at home is dead-- I only used it about once a week and a mouse moved in and destroyed my modem!!!!!
Need to get it repaired or replaced.$$$$$$

I was also promoted to a new position at work and have much less time for lunch and emailing.

Back soon.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  2:12:06 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

I used to post alot, but my computer at home is dead-- I only used it about once a week and a mouse moved in and destroyed my modem!!!!!
Need to get it repaired or replaced.$$$$$$

I was also promoted to a new position at work and have much less time for lunch and emailing.

Back soon.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

OOOOPS Not certain how the double post happened--guess that I was back sooner than I expected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by - connio on Oct 04 2006 2:13:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  2:31:54 PM  Show Profile
I have been a lurker, mostly because I read the new member tips about reading the archives before you post a question, and I mostly have questions! Don't worry, I'm an old gardener, if a new farmer, so sooner or later I'll have the answer to somebody else's question.
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  5:53:38 PM  Show Profile
How could I sleep at night knowing I had lurked in this topic and not replied? Sometimes it's interesting to just read even if you don't feel the need to jump in. I soak up a lot of information that way. For instance, I've been reading some of the cost saving topics and I've gotten a lot of good info but I don't feel I have any good tips to share. If this were a live conversation, you could see me shaking my head and saying "Hmm...interesting" but I don't feel that warrants a writtin response.

I understand what others were saying about worrying how your response is being perceived. I sometimes feel my sense of humor doesn't come across well.

But I have discovered that when I take part in a topic, I tend to return to that topic more often to see how everyone's responding, hoping someone will directly respond to what I have to say.

So there you go, true confessions of a sometimes lurker. Whether I'm lurking or joining in, this is always one of the highlights of my day.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  6:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I would say I am a lurker but not in the stitching room or the barter or welcome wagon every were else I am a lurker if you can believe that by the number of my posts

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Oct 04 2006 6:13:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  03:43:01 AM  Show Profile
I'll tend to post if I know more about a particular subject or feel srongly about something.

Sometims I just like to see what else is going on before writing about something.

It's also about time too. I'll browse for an idea then come back and write.

Go to Top of Page

Katie LeJoi
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Katie LeJoi
Ventura CA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  12:24:01 PM  Show Profile
Dear Katie~

I'm a lurker. Years ago I was a member of the Farmgirl Connection under a email account I no longer have and w/ a password I no longer remember. So, I simply "lurked." Lurking worked for me because I felt I had nothing to contribute. I love MJ's Farm magazine, but am not living my farmgirl-dream... well, except for an herb balcony garden, cooking from scratch, and taking my first quilting class next month. I long for the day I live in a small town w/an acre all my own; but before that can happen, I'm working on being financially stable and am going back to school.

Maybe there could be a "prospective farmgirl" topic. It could be for all those that want the country life, but are no-where near the transition. A welcome sub-topic could be "finding a like-hearted mate." Finding a date is hard, but when you live in the city dreaming of the country, its darn near impossible. My most recent potential date called me a "plain jane" and, "granola weirdo" when I talked of my future plans. My farm-ideals are unusual amongst my friends and co-workers. It sure would be nice to have a few dating tips.

~Katie LeJoi
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  12:34:15 PM  Show Profile
You know what MJF's motto is: Being a Farmgirl is a condition of the heart. Anyway, Katie, quilting, cooking, and loving simplicity is all you need! Lurk no more!

Peace

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 17 2006 12:39:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  3:12:40 PM  Show Profile
I am both. alicia great blog, but they would not let me comment. randi
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  8:47:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Katie!!! Welcome to the forum - I'll echo jpbluesky - you are CERTAINLY a "farmgirl at heart," and I'm so glad that you're "back!" You already have something to contribute - yourself! We can't wait to get to know you better - hop on over to the Welcome Wagon so we can give you a proper farmgirl welcome. And, rest assured, you're among friends!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  05:06:24 AM  Show Profile
If the disparity between the number of responses and the number of times a thread is read is bothering you, don't think it's all lurkers! When a person posts the beginning of a thread, they look once. When someone responds, they look at the response-- a second hit for them, plus one for the responder. That's three. When ten responses happen, there are lots and lots of people reading what other people have written in response as the responses pile up. So it's not just lurkers. You may open this thread ten or more times yourself. With twenty responses, maybe twenty or more times. Just you.

And I agree that being a farmgirl is a state of mind. I have ALWAYS been a farmgirl, even when I lived in the suburbs, even as a small child craving the company of a horse, whenever I felt that longing driving down a country road and wishing that a driveway right there would be mine.... It's in your heart, not just around you. Get a piece of it however you can! Herbs on the balcony are an excellent way to start!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  08:47:00 AM  Show Profile
I too was a reader and yes even just a 'lurker' and then decided that I might even have something to say. And Cindylou told me I should enter in.... For years I lived on a small farm and raised kids and veggie gardens and all kinds of animals but times change and while I pulled back I realize I should participate again.
Life may not be the party we hoped for..but while we are here we might as well dance!

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are you a 'lurker'? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page