Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Frustrated beekeeping mentor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Frustrated beekeeping mentor Next Topic  

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  2:34:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies -
I'm feeling like the worst mentor in history. But I don't know what I could have done differently!

I was asked by my bee club to mentor an 11 year old boy and his family in beekeeping. I was thrilled to do it.

My husband and I have helped them through every stage, from assembling the hive in December, to helping them install the bees, showing them how to do inspections, and helping them to harvest some honey.

However, one thing I noticed - this is a very busy family, And somewhat disorganized. Every time we went up there, it seemed like they had misplaced equipment, etc., so we couldn't always do things the way I thought they should be done. They lost the hive tool, a queen excluder, a smoker, etc.

And, the boy has just lost interest. The only time they go in the hive is when my husband and I contact them, and say, hey, would you like us to inspect the hive with you? They never go in it themselves, and never call us with any questions, etc.

We went up there about a month ago, and suggested they put on the entrance reducer (which they lost, so that didn't happen), and to put out some wasp traps, because there were several around the hive. Then, we had them over to do some extracting, which was a really nice time.

We went up there today, and the hive is a disaster. It probably won't survive the winter. It is under terrible attack by wasps, and has been robbed out, with many dead bees.

They hadn't even looked at the hive in a MONTH. I'm going to help them try to save it, but all I could think was "why didn't you at least look at it and call me????".

My husband says not to feel bad - that a mentor is there to answer questions and help, not to do the work for them. But I still feel like I failed somehow.

Has anyone else mentored someone like this? Was I unrealistic? Not do enough?

Thanks!!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  5:00:17 PM  Show Profile
You did fine Jennifer. Even if the hive fails the little family will still have some cool memories. Thanks to you. You can only do so much. Too bad they are not taking full advantage of your knowledge.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  5:06:28 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, it sounds to me like you have gone out of your way to try to show this boy and his family the craft of beekeeping. I had a mentor when I started out, and I wish he had been as attentive to the various details as you were during the first year. You can't blame yourself for the hive's failure if the boy's family isn't prepared to support their son in his interests. Beekeeping isn't a good hobby for those who aren't willing to put adequate effort into it. Your husband is right. I think you should be proud of yourself for taking on the task and doing it as well as you did. It's their loss not yours. Perhaps you can find another youngster with an interest and foster his or her interest in nature instead.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  06:08:09 AM  Show Profile
You did a great job, they did not. You cannot blame yourself, they had to put in some effort and were too busy. Maybe, you could offer to take the hive off their hands, keep it yourself or find someone who wants it.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  11:32:18 AM  Show Profile
Don't blame yourselves. What a wonderful thing y'all did for this family. Maybe it'll just take time for them to realize what a gift they received.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  4:55:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, ladies. They really are a nice family - I just think that they are so busy with a million other hobbies that they don't have the time, or the focus for this. Just frustrating!!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  11:27:05 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like they got in over their heads

Bee keeping is a bit more labor intensive than it looks.

Too bad for the bees. I wouldn't sweat it. If you decide to take this on again, you might want to mention time commitment and dedication.

ALL things take a little nurturing if there is to be any kind of decent output or outward reward- especially for living thigs. And not everyone is willing to put forth this kind of efort
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  12:34:38 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry to hear about those bees. It truly is not your fault, Jennifer! It sounds to me like you are doing so much to help these people, that they aren't taking ownership of their responsibilities. You really are trying to give them all the tools, advice, and help to succeed, but you can't do everything for them. You've done more than I'd imagine most mentors would, so don't get down on yourself! You sound like an amazing mentor. Even the best mentor can't force people to focus and follow instructions.

I want bees someday, but I think I'll be waiting until I have less projects around the ranch. I always assumed that bees were 'easy' or 'hands-off' but after doing some research, I realized how wrong I was! I love bees, and greet them whenever I see them around, but I don't know that I'd make a good beekeeper right now. I hope to find someone as helpful as you here locally when I do decide to start a hive :)

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Frustrated beekeeping mentor Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page