Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Hubby wants a "bacon" pig...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Hubby wants a "bacon" pig... Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2012 :  4:59:54 PM  Show Profile
Can anyone advise me on raising a single "bacon" pig? What are the easiest to manage breeds and is there preference to one or the other for the leanest bacon? The man loves his bacon and I thought I'd look into it with a little advice

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  04:26:58 AM  Show Profile
Not sure what a single bacon pig is? But if your getting pigs, I would get at least 2. It gives competition and they eat better. Besides no animals likes being along. :) It would be nice to get more bacon off a pig, but you only get so much. good luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  04:32:10 AM  Show Profile
You might want to consider just buying hubby his "bacon" the cost of feed is crazy! I think I'd do the math on this one first ...

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com

Edited by - kysheeplady on Oct 23 2012 04:41:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  07:49:35 AM  Show Profile
howdy annika, we grow pig here. the yorkshire is considered a bacon pig. they are long bellied and their butts are smaller. duroc and hampshires are considered ham pigs for their big butts. the york i have sweet pea is so sweet.LOL she is gentle and loves attention even if you plan to eat the pig you get, be sure to handle it. they are almost impossible to hold for any reason otherwise. just little tanks when small. you could look for alternative feed for it too. we feed spent barley, distiller waste, produce and screening of grain from a grain place and milk. hope this helps. pigs are a lot of fun and a happy animal. just be sure you build the pen STRONG.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  08:04:31 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the advice, I was mostly looking for breed suggestions. I would definitely have to have a good handle on them from the start, but the hogs that I've met who have been handled all of their life seem like something that I could handle provided that I had a very strong pen to keep them in. I've had no experience with raising them so thanks again for the advice.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  09:11:20 AM  Show Profile
My neighbor is getting ready to start a Tamworth breeding operation on her farm. They are a heritage breed and known for being the "bacon" pig. She also likes them because they tend to be docile and very good mommas and great on pasture. If you think this might be what you are looking for I can put you in touch with her. She is not on this forum as far as I know.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  10:12:07 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning AlyssaMarie =} Drew and I are hoping to start looking for property next year, so it'll be a bit, but I'm taking a lot of time to research as much as I can and plan where I want to go with our small farm now so that I'm armed and ready when I get there and don't have to waste more time figuring it out ;)

I've read a bit about the Tamworth breed and they would work well for me due to their temperament and good mama instincts. I want a rare and heritage breeds organic farm and the Tamworth is an old and respected breed. So in a couple of years I will be able to actually begin buying stock, I don't have the set up for it here. If she's breeding them then I'd be thrilled to support a local breeder!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  11:14:49 AM  Show Profile
I know nothing about the care and keeping of domestic pigs (just warthogs in zoos ) But according to hubby who has raised a few, their pen must be rock solid.

Once the containment is breeched, they will keep trying to get out.

They are VERY strong and smarter or as smart as dogs.

We will be getting a whole hog from our farmer buddy/strawberry guy next year...but we are letting him do all the work
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  12:41:56 PM  Show Profile
Many run a single hot wire along the bottom of the hog pen to discourage rooting under the fencing. Hogs tend to respect electricity ;)

I know people who raise heritage hogs for breed preservation, but I do think that if bacon is the main focus, a York or York X would be a good start for you. If you do get two, you can have them butchered at the same time, sell the extra hog, and get some of your feed costs back. OR you could maybe get a friend to go in on them with you and split costs. That tends to work out nicely!

Feed is very expensive with corn prices (and all other prices, really) sky-rocketing. Have you considered buying a 4H hog? A lot less work...

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Hubby wants a "bacon" pig... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page