mosquitocontrol
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Regina
Fayetteville OH
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2012 :  9:19:27 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you girls ever tried a lasagna garden?? I'm in the midst of one and could use your wise advice. Thanks in advance.

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2012 :  04:12:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Regina --
Yes, I have had several lasagna beds and love that method. I think my biggest piece of advice would be "don't overthink it". Mother Nature does her composting from the top down. Piling layers of organic material is a natural thing to do. I just pile it up -- usually in the Fall -- and by the spring I can plant it. We have enough rain (and sometimes snow) here to keep the pile moist. It doesn't always take as long as I've read for the bed to be ready to plant. I top it with a layer of topsoil to keep everything in place and a bit tidy.

Do you have specific questions?

If I can figure out how to post photos, I'll show you a picture or two.
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2012 :  1:19:08 PM  Show Profile
I've never heard of a lasagna garden, but it sounds interesting. I was thinking of putting leaves (I have so many!) all over the garden, then running the tiller (wonder if that's necessary? afraid they may blow away if I don't do that). What else can I add? Would egg shells and vegetable peelings be alright? I've never done composting, so this is new to me. Regina, you sound like an expert, so I would appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks!

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2012 :  1:21:31 PM  Show Profile
Oops! Meant to address my question to Carole, who seems to be the expert. Sorry, Reginia. Guess you're trying to learn, just like me.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2012 :  4:18:36 PM  Show Profile
Karen - I do put our veggie peels, coffee grounds and egg shells out in the garden during the winter once my compost bin gets full. I know you can also put leaves out there, grass clippings (if the lawn guy remembers to leave us some), shredded newspaper and we even chop up our summer garden plants and lay them on top of the ground when we close up for the winter. Everything pretty much decomposes with no problem, and whatever doesn't just gets tilled in when we go to get the beds ready in the spring. Even the straw we cover our winter veggies with composts by spring. Our garden bed is amazing from doing this. I'd go for it! It's not exactly lasagna gardening, but it is good for the garden! :) Just be sure to remove all seeds from all the veggies you'll be putting out there; otherwise, you'll have quite an unusual mix of veggie jungle growing when the warm weather hits! ;) - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2012 :  4:48:39 PM  Show Profile
Nini,

Thanks for all the great info. I'm glad you mentioned that about removing the seeds. I'd just put some leftover veggie scraps I had after making a salad for dinner into a bucket with the thought that I'd add them to the garden later on, along with leaves and grass clippings. There were bell pepper and tomato seeds in there! I should have known better. Duh!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Lasagna Garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page