Page: of 2

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  5:10:35 PM  Show Profile
Great story about Mortisha!! We used to have a bottle lamb named Henry who used to go for rides in the truck with my husband. We live in a part of NJ where there are farms but also many areas where people are not farmers and Henry in the front seat always gathered a crowd.
Kel
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  5:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
welcome grace!
i loved reading your intro. also one of my goals this winter is to learn to spin, card, dye, etc. i have angora goats, and i love them. hope you wont mind too much if i try to learn from your wisdom now and then. the other girls here at the sight are very generous with those of us that are newbies in some particular area, but i fear that i may be too much for just one mentor!
welcome welcome welcome, i think you will love it here and visa versa.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  8:48:20 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Grace! I'm still chuckling thinking about your husband and the animals. Toooooo funny! I'm so glad you found us here - you're going to love it, and I just know that WE are going to love hearing your stories!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  04:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Welcome Grace! You are living the life I'm dreaming of! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  07:17:13 AM  Show Profile

welcome grace!
i loved reading your intro. also one of my goals this winter is to learn to spin, card, dye, etc. i have angora goats, and i love them.

Good Morning Fran and thanks for the welcome
I am so excited for you going forth to use that fiber your goats produce. I just about wet my pants everytime I dye Morhair because it just is so alive and the jewel tones you get just take my breath away. Spinning Mohair is somewhat a challenge but only if you get up tight. Mohair is a way that I can see if my students are control freaks or have the ability to let go and enjoy. I am always willing to share what little I know and I tell students we are all learning each day so be kind to yourself.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  07:32:26 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Kelly43

Great story about Mortisha!! We used to have a bottle lamb named Henry who used to go for rides in the truck with my husband.
Kel

Good Morning Kel and thanks for the welcome
Henry sounds just so sweet, I would love to meet him and you too! Once we got a call from the highway patrol that a weird animal was dumped on the highway and it must have been one of weird animals. We jumped in the truck and took out only to find it was a 3 month old llama that someone dumped along the busiest highway in our state. So we managed to pick him up (after two hours of running and roping) and then put him in the cab of the truck. Now we had a scared sevety pound baby bouncing around screaming in the truck as I am trying to drive. My son opened the window to get some air because baby was spitting all over us. So think of this picture - three green slime covered heads in the cab of a truck with our heads hanging out the windows because of the smell and llama screams to boot. Nothing new for us but we sure did nothing for our rep among the "Normal Farmers" out here. When we got the little guy home none of our ten llama moms would nurse him. They do not take to a bottle, you have to tube them. Just when I was in tears with worry my one Icelandic mom who just had twins and rejected them (which means I was feeding every two hours) lifted up her back leg so the little llama could nurse from her. She kept that up for one full year. What a gal.

Enjoy those critters and I am excited to meet you all.[/
quote]

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  11:41:33 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks for the reply grace, i wish i lived close to you i would want to be one of your students.i loved your "we are all learning each day so be kind to yourself" quote.
i also liked to say when i had students, most people acquire their knowledge after birth.
sometimes people didnt understand what i was saying. even my mom used to say, on fran's planet they do things quite differently.
anywho, are you still taking students, and when is your book coming out? i love the way you write and your stories are way too funny., my advice write the book first then sell the movie rights, we need to encourage reading more.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  11:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Grace,

I haven't been on the forum for a few days. I love your way of storytelling. What a rewarding life for you. I'm sure it's tons of hard work, but to be self-sufficient.....how wonderful. I'm enjoying reading your posts.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  2:49:26 PM  Show Profile
I love the name Grace! Welcome! Susan
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  9:12:15 PM  Show Profile
Hey Grace, we all want to be your friend in the cab of the pickup!~ no llamas here, only labs and a windy night in alaska. I'm tending citrus trees that want to know why I brought them to Alaska, time to repot AGAIN and put lights on the buggers! I bought a whack of yarn today. Is knitting the best thing in the world! keep writing us your stories. You are quite a story teller!. jo

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html
Go to Top of Page

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  12:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I laughed until I cried after reading your llama story! I had a llama and an alpaca and, although the alpaca had the most beautiful fiber, I was head over heels with the llama! What a character! He used to follow me around, looking for an opportunity to grab my hat off my head - the stinker. When I'd whirl around, he'd quickly look like Mr. Innocent, and stare in the opposite direction. Sounds like you live in a little piece of heaven. Welcome to the group - it's so great to "meet" you!

susan

Lovin' my life
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Greetings from the Funny Farm Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page