True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  12:49:56 PM  Show Profile
Good Afternoon Group this is Grace

I am new to the site but not the farmgirl life. I have a 35 acre parcel in Larkspur Colorado that I purchased 10 years ago. After my husband passed my two sons(then 9 and 13) and I started Larkspur Funny Farm. We are an organic exotic fiber farm. We presently raise Llamas, Angora and Cashmere Goats, Icelandic sheep and Great Pryenees Dogs. When I started this farm I had no background in this type of life and read my way into it. It has been quite a ride. I have not only mastered raising a large variety of exotic fiber producing animals but also spin, dye, felt, locker hook, crochet and teach those skills to others. For those on this list who are wishing for the country life I support you!

Every morning when I wake up looking at Pikes Peak from my front deck and Mortisha (our 3year old bottle ewe) follows me around like a dog while I do my morning feeding lets me know that I am loved and I would not trade it in for anything. For those who might wonder where I got the name for our farm - have you seen "Funny Farm" with Chevey Chase? My husband was that man. He always wanted a farm but the dogs hated him, the chickens pecked him, the llama kicked him. The turkey chased him and I was the only one who could pick up a 50 lb feed sack. He was great in the city and a wiz with his own computer business but not the outdoors or animals. I however thrive in this environment and love getting dirty. I was taught organic gardening since the age of 5 and we treat our animals also with herbal medicines.

I look foreword to getting to know you all and hope that I might have something worthwhile to share with you all.

Take care

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  1:28:41 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Grace! You surely will fit right in around here. I'm looking forward to more of your posts and certainly admire your accomplishments!
I got a giggle from your email. We had a rooster that got along with everyone, including customers...except my husband! Those two hated each other to the point of being really quite funny. Even he had to laugh about it.
Diane
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  1:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Welcome, Grace. Your farm sounds wonderful. I'd love to see pictures of your fiber art. Is there a particular book you recommend for using herbal medicines on animals?

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  1:50:45 PM  Show Profile
Grace I lived inthe foothills of PIkes Peak in COlorado Springs for a couple of years. I can't say it was a good time in my life but the scenery helped a little! Glad to have you here!!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  1:52:06 PM  Show Profile
welcome grace .. what a delight you are ... be sure to keep telling us those great stories! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  1:52:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DaisyFarm

Welcome Grace! You surely will fit right in around here. I'm looking forward to more of your posts and certainly admire your accomplishments!
I got a giggle from your email. We had a rooster that got along with everyone, including customers...except my husband! Those two hated each other to the point of being really quite funny. Even he had to laugh about it.
Diane

Thanks for the welcome Diane

The funny store is when my husband was given the honor of small business man of the year and a film crew came out to film the day in the life of successfull businessman/country gent- they wanted him to show them around our small five acres and explain our lifestyle While walking the property each animal in turn attacked him (all on film) When they got to the two llamas (Tony and Fernado Llama) Curt would not go into the pen. The film crew asked him to call them over closer to the cameras and when he did they ran over, kicked and knocked him down in this expensive suite and spit on the camera. I had to go in and rescue him.You see, he had never been in with the llamas and they thought he was an outsider. The film producer then asked if he ever had anything to do with the animals and he had to say "NO". Needless to say they had to start all over with a different approach to their story.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  1:53:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the funny Grace and Welcome!! I love these stories!!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 6 months!!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  2:32:18 PM  Show Profile
Grace - you know we are often what our names imply! And that seems to be true with you! Welcome and stick around, I want to hear more.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  3:17:34 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Miss Bee Haven

Welcome, Grace. Your farm sounds wonderful. I'd love to see pictures of your fiber art. Is there a particular book you recommend for using herbal medicines on animals?

Thanks for the welcome and I do have a couple of books that jump to mind, Holistic Management by Allan Savory and Homoeopathic Remedies for Goats by George Macleod (alot of this can be used for other animals if you know what you are doing (sounds like you do). I will have to go digging thru my store to find others, right now we are redoing the store and so everything is everywhere. As for pictures of my fiber arts, I am very limited with computer skills so I have nothing I can put on the site, but I am still reading the instructions for the camera I purchased two years ago that was to help with website pictures. That I really need help with but who has extra time. I have been beading silk cocoons all day and now it is time for chores outside.
Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  3:20:13 PM  Show Profile
Grace, that was sooo funny .wish i could have it. WELCOME! randi
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  3:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Grace!! First I have to tell you that Funny Farm is one of my favorite movies!! So happy to have another Colorado farmgirl join us!! I'm just outside of Pueblo. I love the Larkspur area. It's so beautiful there. We go up every year for the Renn fair. Do you participate in it?? We always enjoy it, but it must be tough on the residents of Larkspur!!! Any who...again. welcome! I'm looking forward to getting to know you. Luzy

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  3:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the group those are a few funny stories you told about your exploites on the farm. Sounds fun though

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  3:52:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi Luzy

Thanks for the welcome and glad to hear from another Colorado Farmgirl. I live about 18 miles east of the Renn Festival and I must say I am a Colroado Native and never been. They asked me to spin and bring my animals but if the animals leave the farm they have to be in isolation when they come back for three months and I do not think that is fair to them. What are your interests and talents? Sounds like you might have a dog or two?
I am so excited to finally get a little bit of time to sit down and explore this site. Thanks all for welcoming me.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  4:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Welcome, Grace! You sound like an interesting lady with a great farm!

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  4:44:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi again Grace. I'll email you so that we can get to know each other. I'm so excited to have a neighboring Farmgirl!!

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  4:52:51 PM  Show Profile
How fun to have you here Grace!! You sound like so much fun!!! Funny farm is one of my favorite movies too. I just crack up every single time I watch it!
I am here in the center of Utah..so not too awfully far from you. I have Icelandic sheep and one angora goat for my fiber animals...wish I had room for more!!
You are going to be so fun to get to know here!! Welcome to the farmgirl family!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  8:19:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi there Jenny in Utah
Not so far at all. Great to hear your have sheep and angora - do any spinning? You have one on me - no cows here. Had thought of getting a yak but might be too much talken back. O.K. not so funny. Got to turn in because I have a long day delivering products. Sleep tight ladies, can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. Thanks again for making me feel so welcome.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  8:22:27 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Grace! You're quite a gal, I can tell! Thanks for the great stories -- love that image of the animals attacking while the film is rolling. hee hee. Glad you're here. katie
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  9:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Grace, you have amazing stories. I would love to here more. I don't have any of the same animals you do but I am definately interested in hearing about them. I am open to anything at this point. We are trying to become self sufficient, and are taking baby steps toward that goal. I am definitely interested in the herbal medicines you were talking about. Is that for all types of animals. Look forward to more of your stories!

Holly
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  10:02:03 PM  Show Profile
Yep, I do spin Grace! I love it..have been spinning about 15 years..something like that.
I have a friend north of here who has a yak!!! I havn't seen it in person yet. She did say it was very very big. There is a water buffalo (young cow...I guess the females are called cows..maybe not) that lives in the property right behind us. I have room for less sheep and angoras since I have the cow..but she is sure worth it. Heck, I have enough trouble getting the fleeces I get from just a few spun up. I get sidetracked with other projects!! I have a new wonderful moorit lamb fleece from my 6 month old ewe lamb (Icelandic/churro) that I just gave to my sis in law..now that I can hardly wait to spin!! I have two more ewes to shear (I hand shear) hopefully this weekend if it is dry out.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  07:50:33 AM  Show Profile
welcome to the group Grace!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlfriday
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Brooke
Puryear TN
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  09:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Send farmgirlfriday an AOL message  Send farmgirlfriday a Yahoo! Message
Hello Grace!
I would love to pick your brain about the various kinds of sheep and goats that you own. I am hoping to buy a tiny flock myself...I have been reading up on Icelandic and Shetlands and Angora's...
Colorado is such beautiful country...you are lucky!
Best,
Brooke

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men."
H. Melville
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  4:19:23 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Grace, your stories are too funny, you are going to be a lot of fun to have around and you fit in perfectly. Grace is one of my favorite names, my youngests middle name. You should be so proud of yourself for what your doing. We have sheep too but they are Dorset crosses so not much for fiber. I just learned how to knit and would love to learn to spin but one thing at a time. Used to live in Golden (when it was a little town, understand it is just a suburb of Denver now) but have never been to larkspur, it sounds beautiful.
Kel
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  4:43:51 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by farmgirlfriday

Hello Grace!
I would love to pick your brain about the various kinds of sheep and goats that you own. I am hoping to buy a tiny flock myself...I have been reading up on Icelandic and Shetlands and Angora's...

Hi Broke

I would love to share what I know about the animals you are interested in - I am not sure if you would rather email me off the group or if others would like or need the information. Let me know I love sharing what I do

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  5:03:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MamaHumbird
We are trying to become self sufficient, and are taking baby steps toward that goal. I am definitely interested in the herbal medicines you were talking about.

Holly

Hi Holly,
I am excited to hear that you are working your way to a self sufficient life - I each day give my best shot at some things and know that I will not reach others. Up until this year we had over 150 animals on our farm at any one time - I have cut back to around 50 (but goats and sheep will be having babies in a short time so the number goes up). This year I am considering getting back to a large scale garden which will rely mostly on herbs and plants for dyeing fiber. You can use herbal medicines on every living thing - I even used it on my sons lizard. There are great books out there and also alot of kind souls who will share their information with you. Any way I can help just let me know.

As for the stories they never end here. Today,I made Mortisha our three year old bottle ewe (She thinks she is a dog) go out in the pasture with the other sheep to have some bonding time. No sooner did I get to the house I looked back and here my huge Icelandic ram decided to walk up behind her and do what he does best. Well, she turned around, let out a big baaaaaa, and plowed him into the ground. He went rolling and stood up and took off running to the farest part of the pasture. He has not come in after nine hours and Mortisha is still telling me about. Right now she is sitting outside my shop door with the five great pyrenees pups giving me the evil eye for treating her that way. I guess she is a dog!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  5:10:15 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly43

We have sheep too but they are Dorset crosses so not much for fiber. I just learned how to knit and would love to learn to spin but one thing at a time. Used to live in Golden (when it was a little town,
Kel

Thanks for the welcome Kel. I love Dorset. They are very proud in the way the stand. What is the cross? I had some great fleece from a girl who was a dorset/Corridale cross. Peppermint was her name and she thru great babies and was one of our best moms. You have one over on me with the knitting - I can do it but it is not my best sport. Golden, like everything in Colorado has grown. I really get sad to see the sea of homes that no one lives in and they keep building. I am even considering moving to a less populated place because it is hard to feel like home when you can see the city lights coming our way.
Great to hear from you and look foreword to more!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Greetings from the Funny Farm Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page