willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  2:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Many of you may already know that I am designing the artwork for the farmgirl cookbook. Here is a preview of the cover artwork. Please let me know what you all think.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  3:06:32 PM  Show Profile
Julie,
I for one love it!!! Such talent to be able to draw. The only suggestion I would have is to make a bib apron on the girl that is standing. I didn't know you were doing the cover, I must have missed that. Are you doing any art work for the inside of the book?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  3:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Very cute art work. Will the cover be in color or in black and white? One teensy little thing, will the gal in the apron have her eyes open? And her left leg just looks a little "lumpy". Hope that doesn't sound mean, not meant that way at all.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  3:27:09 PM  Show Profile
Julie- It's perfect!! I can't wait to have this on my cookbook shelf!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  4:08:27 PM  Show Profile
Thought about a bib apron. I'll see what I can do. You are right about that leg! I think it I must have slid the picture during scanning cause the original doesn't look like that. You didn't sound mean at all - it's nice to have fresh eyes once in a while. The cover will be in black and white but may be printed on color card stock. I am thinking about adding a barn to the background and painting the picture. I will have prints available on my website when I finish it. My first order of business is to finish the section dividers. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  4:12:57 PM  Show Profile
Love the downhome look and feel. Love the simplicity, and I am glad you shared with us! It looks great, and I cannot wait to have one of my own. Good job!

As I usually see it, the logo Farmgirl Connection is done on a curve. That may not be possible in this cae, but it would be more authentic.

Peace

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 01 2006 4:19:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  5:11:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh the drawing is wonderful! I think the barn would be a good idea, it would give a little background up in that area that is currently blank, as long as it didn't interfere with the title spot.

And artwork inside the book would be wonderful too! (not asking too much, are we? ...tee hee) I have a spice cookbook that I don't use too much for cooking but was thinking of tearing out the watercolor prints inside and framing them.... Your idea of selling the print on your website is marvelous.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  5:35:19 PM  Show Profile
yes, a barn for the background would really tie the image all together perfectly, and if by any chance you could have a tiny chicken running around ..say in the foreground area right above the gal laying down or just to the right of the gal with the apron on would add just that little something extra too.just a few ideas to give it more of a farming look. Sorry, my having been married to a graphics artist for so many years kind of gets in the way sometimes. (grinz)

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Oct 01 2006 5:36:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  6:14:30 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful Tina!! You sure have alot of talent!! Wow!! I love it!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  6:29:29 PM  Show Profile
umm that's Julie that did the drawing! I was just giving her a few added ideas.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  6:34:06 PM  Show Profile
ooooooooooooops! Well you are talented also Tina!! Good job Julie..heehee

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  8:01:43 PM  Show Profile
Excellent job Julie, I absolutely love it!!! Kinda whimsical, sweet, uncluttered...just perfect in my opinion. Only thing missing is your signature on it! Very, very good job!

Di
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  12:04:21 AM  Show Profile
It is looking really good. We are so lucky to have so many talented people

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun.
http://mountainmorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  05:35:26 AM  Show Profile
Big Grin here. Julie, you are so talented. It's great.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  05:46:41 AM  Show Profile
Julie, what a great cover. Of course, I will add my comments and you will soon wish you hadn't asked for anyone's opinion.

I most definitely second (or third) the idea of a barn in the background. And how about letting the prone farmgirl lay on or in front of a bale of hay? At first I thought she was a farmboy, till I saw the single braid -- maybe some bangs or a second braid to define her femininity a little more?
One last little nit - the bandanna is a great touch, but stretched way out like that makes it look a bit like a snake slithering out of her back pocket.

That's it! You have a great talent, and I cannot wait to have a copy of this on my cookbook shelf, and I am already listing all the friends I want to buy for as well.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  05:50:32 AM  Show Profile
Another thought - if it gets so far as to add any pictures throughout the book.
I saw a picture posted from Farm Fair this year, with a circle of hay bales with blankets, rugs, etc. for farmgirls to gather around a campfire.

With permission from the photographer, and/or Farm Fair coordinators, it would make a great section cover, or even a back cover.

Again with permission from the above folks, perhaps Julie could draw that photo in the same style of the front cover...I think I like that idea even better.

Let me know if you cannot find the picture; I actually saved it as an idea to use at my own farm "someday" ...

Jo

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Oct 02 2006 05:51:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  08:06:59 AM  Show Profile
Okay I hope to get all the questions answered in one post.

I will add a barn and possibly a chicken running around. I think I'm going to leave the standing girl like she is (the leg is "normal" in the orignal. A bib apron looked funny but I will put a patern on the apron. The laying girl will have a plaid shirt on. The standing girl also now has open eyes! I'll see what I can do about the "snake" bandana.

I couldn't curve the title with my software because it curves it too much and distorts the letters. I will try again with another program. I added the letters digitally to a hand drawn picture.

The laying girl does have bangs this online pic isn't too clear. I thought about a second braid but didn't want the two girls to look too much alike.

My signature is on the picture near the bottom left of the bucket!

I am making section dividers as well. I have a few done and will try to scan the artwork tonight so you can have a look.

I'll get to work on the changes. I appreciate all of your suggestions. I want everyone to feel like they had a part in it. I may be moving the pen on the paper but I like that you guys can gove input on the final product.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  1:27:13 PM  Show Profile
I have always found that when you ask for input, sometimes you get swamped! As a former designer, sometimes I would not evek ask! Out of fear! :) But, no matter the bib and the plaid and the barn and the curved letters do not work, your cover art is charming and just right for this book!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  4:40:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks jpbluesky. I do weigh each "suggestion" and i will only follow those that I feel add to the design! This is the first timw I have embarked on a project like this so I appreciate the feedback!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  8:12:22 PM  Show Profile
JULIE,
This is so exciting, can hardly wait to see the end results. It is so nice of you to do this, what a lot of work on your part, but I will be right in the front of the line to get the book when its done. I admire the fact that you can draw, my stick people are just not museum quality.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  05:48:58 AM  Show Profile
Julie,
I just love the spirit (and independence) with which you accept all our suggestions. It truly is a balancing act to weigh each suggestion and determine if it adds to the original design. We don't want to obliterate too much of your original creativity.

Nancy Jo ... better make sure you are in the front of the line on a curb, so the rest of us can stand beside you; we are going to be like those bride-to-be's at a Wedding Gown Sale !

Jo
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  7:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
I think it is sweet...I can't draw a lick, so anyone with talent gets kudos from me!!!

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  6:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Julie - The cover looks great!!! Thanks for volunteering your time and talent. I can't wait to add it to my kitchen.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic FG COOKBOOK COVER ART Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page