Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Cooking Oatmeal in the Crockpot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cooking Oatmeal in the Crockpot Next Topic  

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  06:38:10 AM  Show Profile
I have figured out how to cook oatmeal in the crockpot.
First use a 4 Qt size for most recipes unless it is a large recipe
Spray the inside of your crock pot first with Pam before adding your ingredients.
Increase the water by about 1/2-3/4 c
Decrease cooking time to 4 hours. mine is programable. So after 4 hours it shuts off. Then in the morning it is ready and I just have to warm it up a little.
Oatmeal this morning was wonderful.
Hope this helps everyone
Elizabeth

Edited by - candismom on Sep 21 2006 06:52:37 AM

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  06:41:54 AM  Show Profile
How nice to wake up to that!! I LOVE oatmeal!! All my kids do also...hmmm. I only tried it in the crockpot once and I know now that mine was awful because I used my giant crockpot and it cooked too long..about 6 hours...maybe 6 1/2. I wish mine was programable..wow..that would be handy! I wonder if the rice cooker would work..it cooks and then keeps things warm..wouldn't be as hot. I like to find new uses for things. What all did you put in your oatmeal??

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  06:54:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny,
I put steel cut oats,honey,almonds,cinnamon and apples. The recipe is on my blog. It came out really good with these changes. Left overs can be frozen.
Hugs,
Elzabeth
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  07:17:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the update, Elizabeth. I'm going to get myself a crockpot like yours asap! Yummy!!!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  09:28:35 AM  Show Profile
I want one too. I tried it in my crock pot and it scorched. It didn't taste good and it was a real bear cleaning up the crock pot.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  09:36:44 AM  Show Profile
Remember spray with Pam or grease it and it won't stick.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  11:12:50 AM  Show Profile
Yum, Elizabeth! When we go to Helen (GA), Nora Mill always has a crock pot full of Pioneer Porridge (oats, wheat, rice, corn, grits) cooking. It is sooooo good. It never turns out the same when I make it at home because I cook it on the stove. I am sure your oatmeal is heavenly. I will have to try that for tomorrow's breakfast!! Thanks for this great idea.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  06:51:12 AM  Show Profile
I cook my oatmeal in a rice steamer and it works perfectly. Yummy, yummy oatmeal. Rice steamers have timers, so that's great; but it would be nice to have it be automatic, like ready when I woke up, not waiting 30-45 minutes....hmmm, wonder if those automatic timers for light switches would work? Set it to turn on 45 minutes before you rise, then have oatmeal ready? I'll have to check out that idea!

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  06:58:07 AM  Show Profile
Love oatmeal! Yesterday I made it in the microwave; this morning I made it stovetop. I put in chopped apple, raisins, and cinnamon and then topped with some sunflower seeds and dark brown sugar when done. I may have to try the crockpot idea, with automatic timer added. I make oatmeal for one; would it work in a small crockpot?
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  1:34:52 PM  Show Profile
This is a recipe a mama-friend posted on another site; they make it for holidays at their house, b/c then you have a hot, festive breakfast that wasn't actually any work. Here it is:

"Crockpot Oatmeal" deliscious
2 cups milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup chopped apple
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
cook on low overnight
Go to Top of Page

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  1:46:45 PM  Show Profile
Karin - can you share your recipe for Pioneer Porridge? I absolutely love oatmeal, but having porridge on a nice, cold, snowy morning would be marvelous!

Lovin' my life
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  09:13:55 AM  Show Profile
Goodness gurlz! i am going to have to try this. Our household loves oatmeal. Especially my 5 year old son that could eat it all day. Actually, for his birthday he didnt want a cake, he wanted to blow out his candles in a bowl of oatmeal. Gotta love that!
Anyway, I will be doing this. I hope mine comes out good. Thanx for the idea!

lilpunkin
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cooking Oatmeal in the Crockpot Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page