Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Drats Gnats! Next Topic  

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  9:43:00 PM  Show Profile
We had oranges in our basement that were somehow forgotten and they attracted those teeny annoying little gnats. The pesky critters found their way upstairs to my kitchen. Haven't dealt with them in years and I forgot what it was that gets rid of them. Seems like we poured something in a bowl to lure them to their death... anyone know what will work? Thanks!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  6:28:24 PM  Show Profile
OK, I thought I'd answer my own question...in case someone else has this problem.
Last night I put a bit of cider vinegar and a drop or two of liquid dish detergent into a mason jar. Put a couple of holes in the lid & sat it on the kitchen counter. This morning I had a jarfull of gnats! Yay!

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  06:06:26 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda!
Thanks for the info, I knew I had heard of a way to get rid of them.
But I couldn't remember either.
Thanks Again!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  9:18:33 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda, thank you so much for that information. I have never heard of that but it sure works. I have already passed it on to others that are excited to try it. I seem to have the most problem when I am canning and the peelings, ect. sit in a bowl on my counter waiting to go to the chicken coop. Now that bowl has a lid and it sits in the fridge. Thanks again for the great advice.

Holly
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  10:38:08 PM  Show Profile
Glad to have helped Holly! I think canning season is the worst time for gnats...especially if you bring in fruit/tomatoes. Sometimes we pick so much it takes DAYS to get through it all! I'm getting ready to pick all the green tomatoes this weekend to make relish. Guess I better put my gnat trap out!
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.

Edited by - abbasgurl on Oct 05 2006 10:39:05 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Drats Gnats! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page