Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Oodles of Little Green Tomatoes... What To Do?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Oodles of Little Green Tomatoes... What To Do? Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  8:33:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

The night before last we had a frost warning, so my husband and I went out and picked all the little green tomatoes off the already dying vines. I've got about 2 very full gallons of a mix of green cherry, little green roma and little green beefsteak tomatoes, and haven't a clue what to do with them. Any ideas? Will they ripen to red? Are they worth saving? Is there anything special I can make with them? I just hate wasting anything... So, any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  9:04:14 PM  Show Profile
We love green tomato relish made with the green tomatoes and onions. There are many recipes online. But also, if you want them to ripen, wrap them in squares of newspaper and put them into a box or boxes in a single layer and then close the boxes and wait a few weeks. Voila! You will have red tomatoes! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  03:39:06 AM  Show Profile
I have had great luck keeping green tomatoes on a wire shelf in our garage until I want to bring them into the house,set them near bananas or other ripe fruit and let them ripen over about two days. good luck
Marianne

I have also had good luck stimulating plants to ripen tomatoes before you pick them. Once you know the frost is coming, you stip the leaves off the plant and disturb the roots by using a shovel to cut a circle around the base of the plant about eight inches or so away from the stem. Next year you might try that first?
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  04:44:16 AM  Show Profile
Green tomato relish is great with pork tenderloin. You can make green tomato cake also.

Here are more green tomato recipes:
http://allrecipes.com/recipes/fruits-and-vegetables/vegetables/tomatoes/green-tomatoes/

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  09:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Green tomato salsa is also very good. It tastes really similar to salsa made with tomatillos.

Edited by - mickib on Sep 27 2012 3:12:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  09:58:29 AM  Show Profile
I just made a batch of green tomato mince meat with all my little romas. My family (well some of them)love this on Thanksgiving.
Here is the recipe I used.

2 pounds green tomatoes
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups water
3 pounds tart apples - peeled, cored and chopped
1 1/2 pounds raisins
3 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup butter flavored shortening

Directions

Chop the tomatoes very coarsely. Place tomatoes in a colander and drain, by pressing with your hand, all the tomato juice possible. Put the tomatoes in a large sauce pan with 1 cup of water, heat to boil, drain well.
Put the tomatoes back in the sauce pan with 1 cup of water, heat to boil, drain again.
Now, put the tomatoes back in the sauce pan with one cup of water, apples, raisins, brown sugar, 3 1/2 teaspoons salt, vinegar and 1/2 cup shortening. cook slowly until transparent.(30 min.)Stir often.
In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, lemon rind and juice.

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  10:08:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you SO much, girls! Great ideas! I've never tried green tomato relish or green salsa.. I may just check them out today! And Nan - my Dad LOVES mincemeat! You recipe sounds like something right up his alley! I'm going to have to try that and maybe send him a jar for Christmas! Thank you!!!!

Marianne - I've never even heard of doing that before! I will definitely keep that in my notebook for next year! Awesome! Thank you!!!

I knew you girls would know what to do! Thank you! Kristina - I'm going to check out that link as soon as we're done with homeschool! Thank you!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  11:09:10 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget the classic - fried green tomatoes! We had a bunch of greenies lately, and I canned several pints of tomato relish.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  10:02:05 AM  Show Profile
green salsa- of course!
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  10:13:08 AM  Show Profile
Green tomato pickles

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  10:14:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh my - all of this sounds good, but I've never tried some of these things - do you have recipes you're willing to share, girls? I'd so appreciate it! Thanks so much for your input!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  10:24:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nini, look at the bottom of the green tomatoes, if there is a white star shape, they will ripen. I've never wrapped them, seemed too much work. I just keep them in a box in a cool room. About every day I look at them, and pick out the ripe ones. Some years they keep better than other years. You just never know. I have never tried cherry or Roma, just big eating ones. Kennie Lyn

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  11:33:18 AM  Show Profile
Ok this is a vintage recipe as it is my late great grandmothers...green tomato pickles...

2 pecks green tomatoes
1 Peck onions
Slice thin and sprinkle with 1 teacup (probably 1 cup) salt and sit over night. Drain well then soak in weak vinegar solution for 10 to. 15 min. Drain again and scald with 2 qts vinegar. Add 1 lb sugar and 2 taps of each.cinnamon, cloves, all spice, dry mustard. Simmer until tender and can.

You can also use them in mustard pickles.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie

Edited by - queenmushroom on Sep 27 2012 11:47:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  9:27:04 PM  Show Profile
I made green tomato preserves this year. They are different but very good on toast. I make a dill pickle with the green tomatoes that I got the recipe off of the internet. Also relish.
Have fun with them.
Elinoe
Go to Top of Page

Marigold
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Marigold
Chicago IL
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  9:40:20 PM  Show Profile
You can put them in a card board box and layer them between newspaper. Some of them will ripen. Go through them every couple days to dig out the ripe ones. You'll probably have to clean out some moldy ones at the same time too. You can have tomatoes for weeks more this way.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  1:42:41 PM  Show Profile
If it were me, Fried Green tomatoes, (I've got a great recipe posted on my blog titled "September Salutations", or the yummy sounding Green Tomato Chow Chow recipe on the October issue of the Cluck.

Hugs!
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Oodles of Little Green Tomatoes... What To Do? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page