Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Chickens are lactose intolerant
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chickens are lactose intolerant Next Topic  

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  06:57:10 AM  Show Profile
I heard it straight from the mouth of a poultry scientist. So many people give their chickens yogurt. There is not enough of the active culture in there to be beneficial anyway. Probiotics are available at the feed store, to add to water, if you have to help your chicken's gut.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  10:37:59 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for this...yes chickens don't get all the good stuff when they eat any dairy but some like me will give it to them specially in the winter when its cold...I do a hot meal of oatmeal/homemade yogurt/baby vits/powdered calcium.......it can create a runny poo if given in large amounts but like cats they love it even if they can't process it completely...but those who make cheeses...the whey can be processed & its a very good thing for them to have...they don't have to battle the milk proteins to break it down....Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  04:48:21 AM  Show Profile
Whey has lactose and casein it it, both cause intolerance.

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  12:40:50 PM  Show Profile
ok thank you honey for that info...someone gave me bad advice on the Whey........I was told if it was heated past boiling you could kill off more of the things that caused problems....I still give my chickens both but do it in small doses as all the research I have done shows like with any thing else too much can be harmful........plus if it is added with other ingreds/feeds/treats & so on it does not stay in the system & is worked out along with the other foods.......I think from what I understand thur all the research in books & so on that milk/cheese/whey are a suppliment to the calcium if they are not getting enough.......its not meant to be a daily food for them but will not hurt them greatly if given thur treats or scraps......but it is good to know it can be a big problem if it is given to them too often....Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  07:09:25 AM  Show Profile
Michele, part of your info is true. If you heat milk to a certain temp, it becomes, "lactose free," I think that's what I remember from researching yogurt making. The problem is that the casein stays. Lactose free doesn't agree with all people that have an intolerance.

I just looked into all this because our son has Autism, and SO MANY kids with it are allergic to casein and gluten. Luckily, we are not allergic.

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2012 :  06:46:00 AM  Show Profile
If one starts to feed a small amount of clabbered milk to chicks when they are about half grown then they build up a resistance. If one is concerned about the whey it can be poured off and not fed to them. I have found it to be a good nutritional supplement and it is something that is free and readily available on the farm. In my opinion most people that are lactose intolerant wouldn't be if they have trained their bodies to use raw goats milk. I am 50 and raw goats milk is an important part of my diet. I train greenbroke horses and sometimes get bucked off and I have noticed that most of my friends that are around my age that get bucked off get broken ribs and such but even though I have gotten body slammed HARD My bones don't break. I really feel that it is the goats milk that adds some protection. Pasteurized milk bought from the store is not the same because it is over processed and the enzymes have been pretty much killed off so the body has to make enzymes to digest and assimilate properly. It will also provide a healthy layer of fat on any creature so unless one has trouble gaining weight then it needs to be used in moderation. Basically what I'm saying is all milk is not the same.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2012 :  07:01:56 AM  Show Profile
i agree with laura on the raw milk. i am a strong believer in eating more foods raw. i consume a little less than a half gallon of raw A-2 A-2 jersey milk a day. it is from our cows. i tell folks i drink the top off the half gallons. the pigs get the bottom end. i am not fat. milk has a perfect glycemic index if not skim. it is a whole food. i think souring the milk makes it usable for the chicken. i have rock hard egg shells and yellow yolks. our girls get sour milk.i never need to feed oyster shell. if you go to realmilk.com you can read about A-2 milk. it has a perfect protein casein molecule.it has the same make up as goat. many cows have a d.n.a. flaw. so i think it has been said moderation in all things. balance for their diet. we feed tons literally a year of produce. they fish through and take what they need. we feed a barley waste from a beer brewer. we feed a sour mash from a whiskey distributor. we also feed a mix from the floor of a seed bagging house. so it varies in what is in it. chickens are scavengers. they do well on a varied diet with balance of protein and light. hope this helps. JMHO happy days to you.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2012 :  10:55:04 AM  Show Profile
A chicken's immune system is in it's gut.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chickens are lactose intolerant Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page