Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Integrating new goats...acceptable behavior?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Integrating new goats...acceptable behavior? Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  2:44:33 PM  Show Profile
We have two 6 month old LaMancha goats - one doeling (Luna), one wether (willy). We brought home two 2 month old Nubian doelings yesterday. (Olive and Pickle). We are curious as to what is normal behavior when trying to put two groups together. (This is the second time we've done this - the first was introducing a doeling to two wethers, all the same age.) Last time was fine, this time we are having more problems. I can't tell if the wether is being extra aggressive or I just pay more attention to him since he has horns (he was supposed to be meat so we never disbudded, but then he was sick for so long we decided not to butcher him). Luna seems to be ok with Olive and Pickle, unless Willy is around. If Willy is around Olive and Pickle, he is pushing them around, head butting, etc...and then Luna follows suit. If Willy isn't around, she mostly ignores Olive and Pickle. As of right now, we have Olive and Pickle in one area (stall), Willy in another (pasture), and Luna able to go between the two areas if we are around. Luna sleeps with Olive and Pickle at night (in the regular goat stall)and Willy is kept in a separate part of the barn.

How do I know if Willy is going to work with these doelings? What should I be watching for? I know they have to establish their places in the pack, but I'm just wondering what is normal and what is NOT ok and I should be concerned about. How would you proceed?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Integrating new goats...acceptable behavior? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page