Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 question of molasses in goat water
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic question of molasses in goat water Next Topic  

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  10:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
someone here, sorry i cant remember who, suggested that i put molasses in my goats water but didnt say how much. i actually have some liquid molasses and am ready to start adding it as soon as i know how much! thanks much! peace connie in alaska

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  1:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I've never heard of that before. Sounds a little well diffrent.
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  1:37:09 PM  Show Profile
Connie, didn't your goat just have kids? I always give them a few gallons of warm water with a few cups of molasses in it right after they kid. It helps the milk come in and the doe needs the extra energy then. That's usually all they need. Then just regular water after that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  4:01:13 PM  Show Profile
Connie what I do is 6 Tablespoons Molasses and 1 Tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar to a gallon of warm water. I only do a gallon at a time that way the water does not get cold, it is easy to mix and also I can take it the one gallon bucket around from goat to goat so everyone gets some and it does not get wasted. If someone is in real need then I up the molasses but not too much or the richness will give them the runs and you sure do not want that... Hope that helps.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  5:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
she is ready to kid, wish i knew when! lol. her sides are becoming angular they are so big! thanks kris and grace. i will give her just a little molasses and if i can get it cider vinager in her morning water. the temp are dropping to single digits and threatening to be sub zero soon so i want to give ehr the best i can. i guess at 6 tablespooons per gallon of water the 2 or 3 gallons i have from enticing the cows to eat less than prime hay will last a very long time! grace i do give her warm water twice a day but needless to say it gets cold pretty fast.
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  09:21:13 AM  Show Profile
I use the molasses/cider vinegar water too for my lambing ewes and kidding goats. It really gives them a boost. It does the same thing for them, at penny's a bucket, that the expensive commercial products do, but it's less questionable ingrediant wise. Most of what I do for the animals here on my farm is natural. Right down to treating wounds and worming!

Another good thing, if you can find it, is to feed her Raspberry leaves (or blackberry if you don't have the other). If the vines are leafless at this point, you can also boil up a big pot of Raspberry leaf tea (any good brand from the grocery store would work, organic is best, but whatever you can get) and use that water along with the molasses and vinegar. The raspberry (or blackberry) helps ease birthing and also helps to expell the afterbirth.

I feed fresh leaves of blackberry vines to my sheep and goats in the spring during the last few weeks of their pregnancies and it really seems to help. Rarely do we have any birthing problems and I think this method really does help. They also LOVE them! After they give birth, I boil the fresh leaves in a pot and make a strong "tea" out of them. I mix the molasses/vinegar with the tea while it's still warm and my girls usually suck the bucket dry!!!!

Hope all goes well for your girl Connie! and I hope they're all GIRLS!!!!! (LOL!!) ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  1:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i will check into raspberry tea. thanks for the help! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

AshleyH
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Ashley
Forsyth Mt.
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2012 :  08:23:16 AM  Show Profile
does anybody know the vinegar and molasses dewormer recipe for goats?

http://#8203;www.wildwomanfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2012 :  6:28:54 PM  Show Profile
I don't know much about goats and kidding but I do know molasses contains is a good source of iron. So it helps with blood strengthening.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2012 :  07:08:14 AM  Show Profile
here we use a tablespoon to a gallon water. we use the acv in our water troughs.. you can only do this if you have plastic. the acid will corrode a metal one. i just put a splash in. you can just pour a small amount on some goodies too. the molasses is a trace mineral source. i do not depend on acv as my only wormer. i use diametacious earth in their feed. i also sometimes have to use ivermec. the acv is a good maintenance product. this is just my opinion.worms do not like the p.h. change. if you feed D.E. then it helps keep flies down to. it kills the larvae in their poop.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic question of molasses in goat water Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page