Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Your Top Five Fall Favorites...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Your Top Five Fall Favorites... Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  9:06:46 PM  Show Profile
I can feel it - it's just around the corner! Bulky sweater and boot weather... I feel alive and tingly with anticipation... Don't you???

I can't wait... I'm so excited... Wrestless... Antsy... LONGING for five of my all-time favorite fall things...

1) Being all wrapped up in my cozy robe and slippers, listening to the wispy wind blowing through the leaves on the trees while I'm sitting on the back deck, enjoying apple cider and warm pumpkin muffins on a chilly autumnal morning. What a way to start the day! Awesome!

2) PUMPKINS! And pretty much anything you can make with them! Have you ever read the children's book, "Too Many Pumpkins?" It's one of my all-time favorites... Pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin muffins (with chocolate chips, of course!), pumpkin soup, pumpkin butter, pumpkins stuffed with sausage, glowing jack o'lanterns greeting visitors up the walk... family, friends, and the glow of pumpkin delights! I'm in Heaven! (I personally don't think you can EVER have too many pumpkins - ever!) ;)

3) Apple pickin' with my guys... chasing each other through the trees holding apples up high like baseballs ready to pitch... laughing at each other as we're slipping on the slimeys... the crispy, juicy crunch of a freshly picked Cortland... candied apples... caramel apples... baked apples... apple turnovers.. homemade apple pie... cinnamon applesauce... Oh! the delicious aroma of an apple-scented house in autumn... Mmmm - MMM!

4) Leaves... Red, yellow, orange, green, gold and brown... kicking them, raking them, jumping in them and simply wondering at their magnificent display as I'm driving down the road... There is nothing like their firey neon glow against a velvety-dark, dampened sky. The woods - they just come alive! Such dramatic poetry is nature... Love love love...

5) The chill in the air that nips at my nose, accented by the woody smell of smoke wafting up from the chimneys, as I'm walking down the alley in my boots with leaves crunching underfoot, all cozy-warm in my favorite sweater with a big ol' scarf around my neck, my flower-accented pumpkin-colored knit hat sheltering my tresses from the whipping wind, and fingergless gloves covering my hands as I slip them through my husband's strong woolen-sleeved arm...

It's electric... magical... wonderful... invigorating... autumnal... bliss!

Fall... Can't you just feel it coming?

Won't you celebrate with me?

What are YOUR five all-time favorite fall things?

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 15 2012 9:17:17 PM

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  9:43:46 PM  Show Profile
1) watching for deer and wild turkeys along the road
2) Halloween!
3) driving to observe the fall colors
4) the long, cool evenings
5) sitting around a campfire, roasting hotdogs and marshmallows on a chilly night
Oh heck--I love everything about autumn.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  12:56:43 AM  Show Profile
1. The crispness in the air and the cool breezes.
2. Every fall, my dad and I drive to a little town called Gays Mills to get apples. The drive is beautiful and the minute you step out of the truck, you can smell apple blowing in the breeze.
3. Fresh apple cider! Such a yummy autumn treat!
4. Driving through the hills, taking in all of the changing colors. Seeing the splotches of golds, oranges, and reds takes my breath away.
5. Seeing the flocks of geese and sandhill cranes flying over head -- hearing them honk, encouraging each other to go on.

Autumn in my favorite time of the year. The crisp, cool air is a welcome relief after the hot summer air. It changes my whole attitude.

Emily

Edited by - Emily Anna on Sep 16 2012 12:57:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  05:14:28 AM  Show Profile
Wow Nini! I like all your favorite things! I can just smell the apples and pumpkins right now. I think we will have a beautiful fall here. I can already see little hints of color in the trees here and there. And the mornmings are a bit chilly. ANd I smeel smoke. That's a favorite thing, the smell of burning leaves and brush. And chainsaws cutting firewood. I love a big blazing fireplace just cranking out warmth on a chilly morning. I love to walk past the woodpile and smell fresh cut wood. And I love fall soups and stews. And getting out my crochet and knitting projects again. It's so hot here I can't even touch wool. I did make 2 washclothes Friday so it is getting that time again. I'll have an afgan going here pretty soon.

We will be cooling way down here this week with lots of rain. Great for the gardens full of good things growing right now. Speaking of good things growing. I almost forgot another favorite things. Turnip greens and collard greens simmering on the stove with a big ole piece of ham hock! And a skillet of cornbread. And pinto beans! Mmmm.

Happy fall, y'all!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  09:07:23 AM  Show Profile
1. Cool weather & Football
2. NFL Football
3. Halloween & Football
4. Falling leaves & Football
5. Christmas & Football
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  10:08:26 AM  Show Profile
Ahhhh... yes! You've got it, too, girls - the Autumn bug!!! This is one bug I don't mind catching, how about you! LOVE your fall favs... And oh my gosh, Marly! FOOTBALL!!! WOO HOOO!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  10:43:16 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Ahhh . . . Marly, you don't like football at all, do you! :)

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  10:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
- the irrigation water is shut off and I can stop dragging hoses all over the place and stop mowing the lawn
- the cooler temps, crisp air, smells of fall. I can't describe that, but I know it when it's there.
- harvest of the last of the garden, the apples, pears and the "putting away for winter"
- going into "my mountains" (Colorado Rocky Mountains- San Juan Range) for the colors of the aspens, the clear, cool water of the river and streams, the absolute CLEANNESS of the mountain air
- we have strikingly beautiful blue skies all the time, but it seems more perfect in fall!
I LOVE FALL!!! My FAVORITE season!! LOVE ALL ABOUT IT!
And, right now I'm savoring September like never before!
Thank you Lord!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  11:22:43 AM  Show Profile
only five favourite things?

1) the wonderful smell of walking through the woods (crunchy leaves, that spicy smell, the crisp air)
2) Sweater weather!
3) sitting around a campfire in the crisp night air
4) Pumpkin Spice Lattes
5) Apple pie.

:)

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  1:10:26 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Oh, CJ! I'm with you! I hate dragging out our hose! And AnneMarie - you GO girl! If you want to name more than five - if ANYONE does - by all means, go ahead!

I love that we all savor autumn like this, don't you? I'm getting a very vivid picture of what fall means to your hearts... I love it! If only we all lived closer - what a wonderful celebration we would have!!!

Happy Sunday!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  1:47:03 PM  Show Profile
Cj and Nini: How did y'all know I love football!!!!!! LOL
My teams are not winning this weekend. Boo hoo. But that's okay with me. I love the game.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6624 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6624 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  2:31:38 PM  Show Profile
NIni- You and everyone else has said it all!! Fall is my favorite time of year and my only wish would be that I lived where there really is a true fall. Down here in Florida, it just is not the same. Sometimes it remains hot until November most days and we can wear summer type clothes almost year round. But, I have two trips planned in October this year to north Gerogia and Florida to take in the fall activities! I can't wait! Thanks for bringing this thread up as it is so fun to hear what all the other farmgirls love about fall.

Oh, and I have some mcintosh apples baking on the oven and the kitchen smells of cinnamon. But the air conditioner is running and we had a shower with the sun still shining. Humid, humid humid!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  6:40:42 PM  Show Profile
1)the cool crisp air smell
2) being outside & smelling someones woodstove going
3)seeing & hearing the geese fly over our house
4)Getting to finally wear my long johns!
5)Bringing out all my heavy fuzzy socks to wear :)
Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  7:39:19 PM  Show Profile
1. Hot Spiced Apple Cider in a big ceramic mug with my hands wrapped around it
2. Crisp Air with the smell of hay when I'm feeding animals
3. Taking the family apple picking and pressing cider
4. Pumpkin Cheesecake with gingerbread crust (ooohhh yeah my mouth is already watering)
5. Jumping into bed and snuggling under a thick blanket to keep warm

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  8:12:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh my GOSH, AlyssaMarie! I would SO love to have that recipe!!!! Pumpkin cheesecake with gingerbread crust?! Look out hips - here it comes - and I don't care!!! LOL!!! YuM!!!

Michele - I absolutely LOVE Fall in Massachusetts... I grew up in Massachusetts, and whenever this time of year rolls around, that's where my heart is! That's where my love of fall began! HOME! There are so many different facets of autumn to enjoy in that beautiful state... Lucky you!!!

Oooooh... Marly!!! I'm so sorry about the losses today... We lost last week, and it was a total let down. But our guys always bounce back, don't they? The Steelers had a great game today, and my faith in football kind has been restored. LOL! Don't worry, I'm sure better games are just around the corner for your guys, too! :)

It's so chilly here tonight... such a teaser!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  8:15:04 PM  Show Profile
And Winnie - I bet your kitchen smelled heavenly today! You know, Yankee Candle's MacIntosh is my absolute favorite. I've been lighting them in the evenings to help ring in September!

I just realized... bon fires! I love bon fires on chilly nights...

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Annette Kath
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Annette
Carlock IL
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  8:32:20 PM  Show Profile
1. Fall is when I get my quilting going again
2. Enjoying a bonfire with family and friends
3. Hot spiced apple cider
4. Homemade apple pie
5. Watching the farmers combine

Annette
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  06:33:55 AM  Show Profile
1. Fire in the fireplace and a blanket over me with hot chocolate
2. Fried Pumkin
3. Sitting on the porch swing and listen to the wind blowing through the pines
4. Fall decorations out
5. Pumkin Pies, Apple Pies, Apple cider, oranges and cinnamon sticks in a little pot on the stove.

It just makes me feel COZY!

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  07:11:04 AM  Show Profile
1) Smoke rolling from the smokehouse - which indicates another round of homemade sausage (both pork and deer), summer sausage and bacon!
2) Getting started on my farmgirl quilt, and doing some weaving, embroidery, and other crafty things!
3) The smell of wood chips as we cut, split and stack firewood for the next year's season (this year's is already waiting!)
4) Walking in the woods without a fear of snakes!
5) Curling up with my honey to watch a movie, while listening to the rain outside.

from the hearts of paradise...
1Thess. 4:11
http://thefarmwife.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  09:30:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm a seasonal coffee drinker. So cooler temps bring out that longing for a huge steaming mug of coffee

All things pumpkin- of course

Apple pies

our 12 year anniversary and celebrating that- end of October

piling on thick blankets to ward off the morning chill that makes it hard to get out of bed in the morning
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  3:51:50 PM  Show Profile
1. cooler weather, so I can open up the windows and let in the breeze. Can't do that much in TX.
2 decorating the house and yard
3. apple pies, pumpkin pies, pumpkin cranberry bread
4. homemade soups and stews
5. pumpkins

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  7:47:47 PM  Show Profile
I love the taste of fresh squash soup, crispy apples, caramel apples and anything baked in the oven. The crackle of a fire in the fireplace, pumpkins, hay and cornstalks for decorating, crisp weather and decorating the house with fall colors.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  8:39:40 PM  Show Profile
1. The cooler temps.
2. Taking a walk without sweating or freezing to death.
3. The smell of burning leaves.
4. Halloween
5. Apple pie, crisp & anything else apple that I think might taste good! LOL!
6. When the whole town gathers for the Homecoming game.
7. Volleyball (my sis is a high school coach).
8. Thanksgiving
9. Smores by the fire in the back yard.
10. Watching the combines,tractors,etc. go up & down our road during the harvest.

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  03:46:34 AM  Show Profile
Fall!!! Love it! My favorite season!

1- LOVE pumpkin spice coffee!!
2- the crisp and cool air!
3- the yellows, browns, and orange color of the leaves
4- smell of fireplaces and wood stoves thru the air!
5- fall decorations, scarecrows, having homemade potapourri on the stove with apples, oranges and cinnamon !

Enjoy your fall season, Farmgirls!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  03:56:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh! These are all so great!!! Here's one more I thought of last night: FINALLY a good night's sleep!!! There's just something about the fresh, cool autumn air that helps me relax more and I sleep like a baby, don't you? I always feel so rested in the morning - Carpe diem! :) Have a great day, girls! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  06:50:09 AM  Show Profile
Ohhh, Nini, everyone else - it seems as if we're a great group of Fall-lovin' gals!

1)Cozy rainy days
2)The leaves, of course! And the other fall decor - pumpkins, indian corn, straw bales... so much beauty.
3)Pumpkin and apple dishes, with lovely warm spices.
4)Crunching in the leaves. :D
5)All the lovely smells associated with Fall - dried leaves, woodsmoke, yummy things baking... pumpkin spice candles!

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Your Top Five Fall Favorites... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page