Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help 'flour bugs'! Next Topic  

Pammy
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Michigan
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  06:13:59 AM  Show Profile
Its been awhile since I have posted on here at all. But I have bugs/moths in my flour, I had several pounds ground in May and sell it at the farmer's mkt. Its been in a spare room in plastic totes, I may have to feed it to the chickens, this batch anyway, but what is the best way to get rid of and prevent this?? thanks for any help you can give me. Pam

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  07:16:22 AM  Show Profile
air tight containers, kept in the freezer...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  08:19:56 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the freezer but if you aren't squeamish put it in the freezer it kills everything then sift it and use it. Won't hurt anyone and it's not wasted.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  08:18:46 AM  Show Profile
I agree! I keep my flour in the refrigerator.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

cozie lady
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Mt Pleasant MI
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2012 :  09:46:21 AM  Show Profile
I have heard of putting a couple bay leaves in with flour to kke the bugs away.

amy r
sister #4186
Go to Top of Page

heritagehunter
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Julie
La Salle Co
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  5:49:18 PM  Show Profile
I have always put bay leaves in my flour. And have never had a problem with bugs.

Go to Top of Page

Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  08:09:23 AM  Show Profile
Those can be hard to get rid of once you have them. DH had some rice or something back in a closet once and couldn't figure out where all the moths were coming from until he found it! Ick!

I agree with everyone else--make sure you have really airtight containers that will keep the moths from getting in. Also make sure you get rid of all the existing moths in your house. The "Pantry Pest" traps work pretty well if you can put them in an area where there's a lot of them. Also, freeze or toss any infested flour, meal, rice, cereal, or anything of the sort to make sure that all the eggs are killed.

http://foxgloveandfolksongs.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sister #4236

Edited by - Lyndell on Sep 18 2012 08:09:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pammy
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Michigan
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  10:13:58 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the suggestions, I had bay leaves in the totes where I store it, maybe they need to be fresh leaves?? Will start freezing it when I have the next batch ground, thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  05:31:23 AM  Show Profile
Had bugs.. sifter flour. home use only.. That being said. Sometimes you get flour and the bugs are already in there in one form or another and they just show up later. I use Bay Leaves too.. and if you have some bugs. you have to check the for more in other items.
But after I cleaned up my pantry and tossed a few things.. no more bugs in years !!

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help 'flour bugs'! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page