Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Dryer not drying like it used to?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Dryer not drying like it used to? Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  05:36:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Our dryer has not been working great for about a month. I didn't think much of it until I got our electricity bill... ouch!

So I went to walmart and they had one of those "as seen on tv" things called a dryer snake. It's an attachment that goes on your vacuum and it is adaptable to fit all vacuums- anyway you thread a clear tube into the dryer lint catch area and it sucks out any stuck lint that wasn't trapped. I got a whole vaccuum canister full plus, I also found a clog at the out vent! Scary!

Anyway- just a tip- make sure to clean you dryer and the vent every few months! Lint is very prone to fires!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  05:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
That is scary,so I guess you would give the dryer snake a thumbs up! Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  05:48:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reminder! My dh likes to replace the hose every year or is it every other year? I know it hasn't been done in awhile.

How's the dryer working now? Better?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My new blog - http://citychickadventures.blogspot.com/ Come visit me!

Farm Girl #790

http://pinterest.com/debbie_s/

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  10:06:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh gosh! Lint was the first think I thought when I saw your topic.. I'll have to clean out mine while I'm thinking of it! Thanks for the tip :)

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  11:32:43 AM  Show Profile
and those clogs, especialy with an electric dryer are a fire waiting to happen...check to make sure your exhaust vent on the outside is also not clogged...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  12:24:18 PM  Show Profile
good tip! I don't even want to think about what mine must look like! And it has been taking longer to dry the clothes.

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Simplepleasures
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Michelle
Batavia Illinois
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  6:50:34 PM  Show Profile
My vent is on the roof for our dryer, but I think I should definitely purchase one of those attachments, now that I know they work.
Thanks for sharing!

simplepleasures317.blogspot.com

~If you want to know where your heart is, look where your mind wanders~
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  8:47:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My dryer is working like a champ now! Even replacing the dryer hose is not always enough because the air is usually drawn through the whole bottom the dryer through the heater coil and when I had to replace the heater coil on a previous dryer it was shocking to see how much lint can build up in the bottom too. If nothing else take the hose off the back and actually stick the attachmet into the dryer. :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  09:25:57 AM  Show Profile
Good point Alee. My husband always takes the hose off of the dryer at our house and cleans it out. He stated that most house fires are caused by lint catching on fire in the dryer. Most homeowners never think of this as a possible cause but it happens all the time.

Also check the end of the hose (outside of the house). As the lint collects there as well and the door of the outlet will not shut well and will let in insects and more in to your home. I check this as the outlet is right next to the driveway every time I get in the car.

Madelynne

www.johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  6:20:14 PM  Show Profile
Yuck! I want to go out and get one of those dryer snakes ASAP! I've also read that it's a good idea to clean your lint screen with soap and hot water. Especially if you use fabric softener or dryer sheets, the mesh can get clogged (but it isn't visible to the naked eye). If you try to run water through the mesh, it won't go through--it'll just pool up on top. Try it to see what I mean!

http://foxgloveandfolksongs.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sister #4236
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  6:57:42 PM  Show Profile
You can make your own "dryer snake" for less than a dollar with 2 feet of 1/2" clear flexible tubing from the hardware store and about 3 inches of duct tape. Stick the tube into the round wand on your vacuum and use the duct tape to create a seal between the two. Works just fine.

Edited by - Rosemary on Sep 12 2012 6:58:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  12:20:08 PM  Show Profile
I had the same problem a few years ago. My dryer vented out the roof. My husband used his super powerful outdoor blower (the one you blow leaves, cut grass with) and blew it into the place on the dryer where you clean the lint filter. We went outside a few minutes later and were both astounded -- it was literally raining huge clumps of lint. The amount was unbelievable. Since then, he blows it out a couple of times a year.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  4:24:51 PM  Show Profile
My dryer is in the basement and vents to the inside. I clean the lint trap every time I use it. I've heard of people who've had fires cause of the lint build-up. It's an old dryer but still works well. I'll double check it to make sure everything's OK. Thanks for the tip!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Dryer not drying like it used to? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page