Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Your favorite gardening trick, tip or tool?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Your favorite gardening trick, tip or tool? Next Topic  

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  08:24:35 AM  Show Profile
I'm planning my first serious garden for this fall (October is supposed to be our prime planting season), and I'd like to hear from you! What is your favorite gardening trick, tip, or tool? There are many gardening gadgets in catalogs... are any of these necessary? How about that planting trick you swear by? What plants grow best together? Organic pest control tips? Sound off, ladies! Believe me, I need all the advice I can get! :)

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com
Soap Shop:
www.empirerosesoapco.etsy.com
Vintage Shop:
www.jodieliza.etsy.com
www.pinterest.com/jodieliza

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  2:37:48 PM  Show Profile
Hula Hoe is a gardeners best friend, I also always keep a jar of alcohol close by to sterilize garen shears/pruners/etc, if I've had to trim any plants that might have some ceeping crud...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  7:04:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Tina, except I call mine a "stirrup hoe." Same thing. Absolutely magical.

I also swear by my hand cultivator. It has four long, pointy-sharp prongs on a handle about a foot long. It's the best ergomonically designed tool I've ever owned.

The third weapon in my arsenal is a Japanese garden knife. It's HEAVY steel with a wooden handle. The blade is wide, thick, and evenly curved, coming to a point at the tip like the top of an arched church window. One edge is serrated and really come in handy for all kinds of tasks. The first two items are available from Johnny's Seeds. I've seen versions of the knife that don't seem quite as heavy-duty as mine, and (yuck) they have plastic handles. I can't vouch for them. See if you can get the real thing. I got mine about 20 years ago from the (sadly) defunct Smith & Hawken company. The blade will rust if left wet, do I clean it faithfully after every use, towel it dry, let it air-dry some more, then give it a thin coat of mineral oil.

Use French marigolds -- the more old-fashioend the better -- scattered around. Look up "companion planting" online. You'll see things that go well together and things that are not a good combination. Figure out what you'd like to harvest someday, then see how to position them in your garden to best advantage.

Confuse the bugs that like to zero in on particular crops by mixing up your veggies! Instead of having carrots all here bush beans all there, put part of each type of vegetable in two or more different spots in the garden. This is the single best advice I ever got from a master gardener! Really works.

The best tool or trick in any garden is...wait for it...THE GARDENER. Spend time in your garden at different times of the day, every day, to listen and observe. Assassinate bugs, pinch off dead leaves, prune, water when needed, provide shade (in the form of row covers) when the sun seems to be burning too hot.

Water the soil, not the plants. And do it in the morning, to prevent mold from forming.

Invest in an inexpensive soil test and soil thermometer. You might only use these things your first or second year, but they will get you close to the earth and give you greater understanding of why some things need to be planted at different times, and will help you figure out how to get your soil in good shape.

Have fun!

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  7:27:42 PM  Show Profile
also: "compost", very importent...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  7:54:27 PM  Show Profile
Newspaper on the ground around prevents weeds. i put straw over the top. Coffee grounds and egg shells on everything I take them and put in to a 5 gallon bucket when I get about 1 gal of grounds I crush the egg shells and put them and the coffee in the bucket and water and let it sit 12/24 hours and pour on any thing that needs a boost. Epsom salts. 1 tab to a gallon of water, beans tomatoes and peppers LOVE it. I also spray my plants when I water them I don't have a bug problem or nasty crud.

Good luck

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Your favorite gardening trick, tip or tool? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page