alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  4:44:07 PM  Show Profile
I know that it is bad to have jobs that each person does but we agreed, the garage is my DH, and I am not allowed to clean it. The lawn shall be wacked and mowed by him and he has to take the garbage down.

So he was unable to finish the lawn, only getting 1/2 the front yard done today and we have company comming tomorrow and we have tons of shopping to do. I never do the lawn, my therapist told me not to. But two weeks ago he asked me to help so he could wack and I would mow until he could take over. It worked out great, but today he was just 'too tired'. I really do feel bad for him. So I got out there tonight and started the lawn. About 3/4 the way through the lawn mower died, out of gas, okay, I can do this.

So I loaded the gas, the first time ever, and then continued on. Then it died again. It took about 20 minutes of trouble shooting and then it dawned on me, what about the oil. I opened the cap and checked it, smoke came out and it was burnt and black. Okay, I then changed the oil, what oz was in there and put new in. It roared to life and I was able to finish.

I love my husband dearly, but I am really proud that I broke this model of ours, just this once.

BTW, our therapist told us not to cross the boundries too much because then the one person can become too lazy, trust me, we have a terrible history of it.

---
Farmgirl #2951
2012 Farmgirl of the Year
http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  1:29:59 PM  Show Profile
Emily: For the same reasons you mentioned that is how I took over the yard. I have learned how to change the oil, the filters, fix a flat, etc...
I have also learned that I absolutely love doing the yard and it has become therapy for me.
Hope your yard looked good for your company.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2012 :  03:57:15 AM  Show Profile
So long as someone has 2 good arms and 2 good legs and a mind to read: women can do outside stuff and men can certainly cook and do the dishes. I was taught to chage a tire when I got my lisence but luckily was also graced with Triple A Plus :)

Never gonna judge what other people have established in their own homes, but I was brough up with parents who pitched in and did what needed to be done. My mom mowed the lawn when dad was out of town on business and my dad can make a killer apple pie and pizza from scratch. I learned to make chili from him actually! Both parents participated in child rearing for me and brother.

I find it interesting how home tasks are broken down and why

But sometimes a woman just has a better eye for actually seeing the dirt that needs to be cleaned....that I won't deny!
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2012 :  05:00:31 AM  Show Profile
Womem do a way better job on the yard anyway ... I have been married for 19 years and hubby has mowed our yard about 4 times (do to illness) and the last time he di it, he cut it so short it burnt to brown in a day! I love doing the yardwork, sometimes hard but the last time I checked ... hard work never killed anyone!
Keep mowing if you like it, and give hubby another job!
Good luck!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  03:58:55 AM  Show Profile
What kills me is my S I L who, when she broke her arm...her live in boyfriend of about 10 years STILL made her do the dishes.

THAT is inexcusable and just plain STUPID!! Also a deal breaker in my book

Hubby and I take turns mowing the lawn. Took a while for me 'cause the lawnmower is HUGE and a little intimidating. Not a problem now. He also does the dishes, runs the sweeper (when asked ) and will cook on occasion. I insist on that one mostly because I can't stand a messy kitchen
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  10:28:48 AM  Show Profile
I agree, Anna. If I had a live in boyfriend there is NO way he would MAKE me do the dishes.
It is inexcusable and really STUPID.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  8:24:04 PM  Show Profile
Garrison Keillor (Praire Home Companion) has posted a poem about this very situation

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2010/09/29

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  04:01:59 AM  Show Profile
I lkie that

Reminds me of an old coworker who lost her husband to MS. During his infirmed time, she had to assume both roles and be strong for their very young daughter. When the husband finally did pass, it was indeed sad, but the wife was stronger and quite capable of doing everything around the house and pretty much for her vehicle too. When she couldn;t, she knew who to ask and was smart enough to know when someone was pulling a fast one.

Interesting to know though, that her infirmed dad , can't even boil water and has been living with her for about 6 years now after his wife passed. He came from a different time for sure.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  06:05:35 AM  Show Profile
No offense, Emily, but is this therapist of yours even married???

I've been married twenty years this month. I am the main cook of meals, and cleaner of the home and do the laundry, but my DH works long hours outside the home, and I love taking care of my home and family. Doesn't stop either of us from helping each other get done what needs to be done. He's pitched in to iron or clean when I need help, he cooks when he is off, and I don't mind helping with the yard when he doesn't have time. I actually prefer to do the most of the yard.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  1:06:52 PM  Show Profile
I love working outside, mowing, etc. However, I have found that "the more you do, even more is expected." I got that piece of knowledge from my mother. I tend to think that in order to have things done the right way that I have to do them myself. I'm not one to sit, watch, and wait for a man to take action. Sometimes it could take months before the spirit moves. Ha! However, I have injured myself many times with my bull-headedness, i.e., shoveling a ton of dirt, lifting feed bags, etc. So now if my husband doesn't take action after a reasonable amount of time and it's something I can't do myself, I simply pay someone else to do it.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  08:25:10 AM  Show Profile
Indeed!

The spirit would either move me to also pick up the phone - or insert a well placed kick up someone's behind in order to get them moving!

I called a window company just yesterday, because the siding has been off a portion of our house FOR A YEAR!!! Hubby crabbed about it ohhhh for about a minute.

I'm all for do-it-yourselfers for sure..........but I also want a house to be proud of, not embarassed by.
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  4:59:55 PM  Show Profile
Don't get me wrong ladies, we do share alot of the work, he does do dishes and cook meals, make beds and sweep the floors. But we each have one job the other doesn't do, his is the lawn and mine is laundry. When I was terrible sick with baby #2, he did do EVERYTHING, and was terribly sweet about it. We really can't hire anyone to do anything, besides it is bonding for us to learn new things.

On the point of our therapist being married, I think he is, not sure.

---
Farmgirl #2951
2012 Farmgirl of the Year
http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

JerseyGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Michele
Southern NJ
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  02:37:17 AM  Show Profile
Proud of you, Emily! I'm the lawn mower in our home and take a lot of pride in my yard. I feel such a sense of accomplishment in all I do that many women dont. I've put down wood floors, trim, painted kitchen cabinets, planted all the landscaping, shoveld truck loads of mulch, put in a pond, done tile work, the list goes on and on.

I really do it because if I waited for mine to, it would never, ever happen! LOL
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Lawn mowers... and husbands Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page