Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Barber Pole worms. 9-24-12 Up to 24%!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Barber Pole worms. 9-24-12 Up to 24%! Next Topic
Page: of 2

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  07:56:25 AM  Show Profile
http://kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com/2012/09/barber-pole-worms-in-sheep.html

I was wondering if anyone else is having such a hard time with these things in their sheep and what are you doing about it? I need all the help I can get right now.

Also wondering if there is a natural predator that will attack and kill the larva?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Sep 24 2012 10:26:50 AM

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  08:32:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris,
Yep, they say it has been a bad year for them. I rotate like clock work every three weeks. And as soon as I move the sheep I mow the pasture down. They say they will stay alive on the top part of the grasses. I also have 21 sheep at the moment ... so it is a MUST for me to rotate.
There are also studies on planting different grass types that they will not cling to. And of course there are some sheep that just seem to get worms more than others ... breed wise.
I also have heard about this Copper oxide ... but have not gotten into researching it yet.
What does your AG office have to say ... any input there?
Good luck, I know that sometimes it feels like you are fighting a losing battle with worms.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com

Edited by - kysheeplady on Sep 06 2012 08:33:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  12:03:45 PM  Show Profile
We had a problem with them years ago.
Get fecal samples done so you know you are using a proper dewormer and lets you know if you have resistance to what you are using.

When you do deworm make sure you follow up and deworm again to get the eggs that hatch. I can't remember the recommended time frame for a second deworming.

If you are raising steers as well I have read that if you swap pastures with the steers every six months that can break the worm cycle for both animals.

Rotating pastures can help.

If you have ewes that have persistant problems with worms (some just do) I would cull them out.

Using a new dewormer helped us rid ourselves of the problem. The last couple of years we thankfully have not had to deal with them.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  12:49:39 PM  Show Profile
I know that's what I should do but I just love these guys. And what happens when you cull animals like that? Isn't that just passing the problem on to someone else to have to deal with? Or do you mean cull as in slaughter? I am going to slaughter the 3 rams soon. I can handle that just fine. Because I know that's what they are for. But the ewes. They are my babies. They are all finally starting to trust me and let me pet them and love on them now. I can go out there and they will all come to me now. I know it's stupid to keep them and have to go through this all the time, but I couldn't bear the thought of someone else not doing anything for them. How do you do this?

I am going to get some fecal samples in the morning and take them to my vet. Then we can see what wormer to use for whatever is affecting them. And I will go see my ag man too. He's very knowledgeable about sheep since he has them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  1:07:13 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
I have never culled my flock but one time, and I did it because I was asked for some sheep. But,I don't feel and know I did not pass along any problems. That was 3 years ago and they are all doing fine.
All of my girls I have had for over 7 years now, they came here to live and this is were they will be buried. That is how much I care about my sheep.And yes, they do make me money,if they didn't I couldn't afford to keep them.
This year is a tough year for parisites ... don't let anyone fool on that!
And no matter what anyone says ... rotation DOES help. Even if you just kept a small area aside for the sheep that keep getting the worms might help.
I do hope it works out for your sheep.
BTW, ALL of my sheep will come to me ... and know clapping commands that and a shepherds hook!

Teri

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com

Edited by - kysheeplady on Sep 06 2012 1:09:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  1:48:41 PM  Show Profile
Teri, my sheep all follow me. They've always done that. But when I bring my shepherd's hook in, they something's up! So I try to catch them with kindness. And it works. Lucinda, the black ewe, was the most skittish of all of them. It took her a long time for her to even let me get near her. Now I can hug her and kiss her nose and she's fine with that. And the last 2 ewe lambs I got are doing the same thing. Adalaide is so friendly now. When I come in to feed them she is the first one to me and I have to pet her for a long time. The other one, Amarillo, is slowly getting there too. I only have 9 ewes and if I get any ewe lambs next spring I will keep a few more. I don't think I want more than 12. I want to know my sheep.

Sandra, what do you use to worm your sheep? And what kind do you have?

I am looking for a good Border Collie right now. I have talked with a lady who has a female she is thinking about breeding. But I think I would like an older dog who has been trained and is around sheep now. She is getting an 18 month old male to breed her dog with that is being trained now that she would sell me. I'll go see him soon. It sure would be nice to have some help with the sheep. I'll need to separate the 2 smallest ewes when I get a ram and that's not going to be an easy thing to do.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  2:08:18 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
I have an Aussie, that as I type this is being nutured, he is about 1 1/2 I got him to help me with the sheep, but I want to try to find someone that will train him hereon the farm with my sheep. They say it takes them a while to calm down ... I'm hoping his visit today will help with that. As for my hook,I use that only to make them aware that they are being moved ... they see the hook and come, they know when the hook comes out fresh grass will follow! Funny! But I douse it to catch lambs in the spring for docking tails.
How much land do you have your sheep on? And do you raun the goats with them?

Teri

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  2:16:37 PM  Show Profile
some very importent rules are : breed for quality, not quanity (this rule is for all animals, not just for livestock), never name what is to become food, or ones you're not sure of yet (I use numbers and letters), when you do sell to people you are not personal friends, make sure to have them sterilize their hands and shoe bottoms at least, and if they refuse, tell them to go home, cause somethings up with them...also rotation pastures are the best, even when you don't have problems, makes for much healthier grasses and animals...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  2:28:20 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend who breeds Aussie's. She goes to dog shows and they are all top dogs in their classes. S=Her dogs are very expensive. I like them but am just stuck on BC. I have a part BC and part Lab. I want to get her trained just to see if she could herd. I know she has it in her, just needs trained. I have 3 acres of land we own and a neighbor lets us use his pasture next door. It's close to 2 acres. That's where the ewes are right now. They cannot keep it eaten down fast enough. I had a Jersey heifer in with them but she's up the road now at a farm being bred. Even with her here and the sheep, I had to have it mowed. I do not keep the ewes and does together but have kept the bucks and rams together. I need to put the sheep in the goat pasture. I have heard that it's good to rotate where each type animal is too. But I'll have to wait til breeding season is over and bucks and rams are all gone.

This past spring was my 5 ewes first lambing and they all just had single births. I know Finn sheep can have up to 6 lambs at one time. I am not wanting that to happen. Twins would be nice though because I am in this to make money too. I will be selling the rams after they are butchered. And they all have names. Sorry. I can't call them numbers. Mt steer was Chuck. He's all wrapped up right now at the butcher ready to go to Atlanta. My rams are Abraham, Alfie and Axel. The bucks are John Henry and Lil Red. The roosters are Mr. Rooney and Russel Crowe. I am fine with knowing where they are going. Does not bother me at all. Even the kids and grands are ok with it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  2:47:32 PM  Show Profile
Russell Crowe ...toooo funny, I sell what ram lambs are left in the fall by the pound. Other than that I sell small starter flocks, ewes for 4H and this year I kept 4 back for me.
I sell raw wool, wool batts and art yarn. So my girls pay for their own feed for the year. I'm not getting rich, but this is all part time for me. I still work 3 days a week 30 hrs.
I hope to go down to 20 this year or next and get a dairy goat.
I also hope to build my wool house next spring. Time will tell.

Teri

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  2:51:06 PM  Show Profile
I've got my 2 doelings for sale. They'll make great milk goats in about 1 1/2 years. I'd meet you half way!

I sure wish you lived closer to teach me how to do all the washing and spinning of the wool. I want to learn so bad.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  2:56:39 PM  Show Profile
yeah, I know I saw them, I use to have Nubians when we lived in MA.
Just not ready for them yet ... trust me I did think about it, and wish I was. I need more home time first.

Teri

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  8:11:12 PM  Show Profile
We have too many sheep for them to be pets. I have had my favorites and I do not like when we have to cull. Thankfully we do not have to often. Every few years we may have a trouble maker. I figure if I keep her and breed her I may just end up with more so it is easier to just get rid of the problem.
I did keep my very first four sheep until they died even when they were not good producers anymore.
I appreciate my ewes and we take good care of them but if they are not good moms and if they seem to be prone to health issues I do not want them. We do not sell them as breeding stock we take them to a livestock auction where they are sold as cull animals.

We have used several dewormers over the years. We haven't had much success with safeguard.
Ivomec we used for years. When we had serious problems one summer we switched to Prohibit.
Panacur is suppose to be a really good dewormer too.
For our Dairy goats we purchased some natural dewormer from Hoeggers that seems to work well.
For our sheep it isn't practical.
I have read that Wormwood(plant) helps with parasites.
We do not add new livestock very often. Our Flock has been closed for years. Just a new Ram now and then.
We had a lot more problems when we were buying and bringing new sheep on the farm often. We haven't added any new ewes in a few years.
We raise Border Leicester Sheep. THey have been very hardy adn do well on pasture. Right now we are understocked so that has helped with parasites. When we had serious problems we were overstocked.

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  2:11:31 PM  Show Profile
I went off Friday and forgot the fecal samples. I could kick myself. Because Lucinda was nearly dead yesterday when I got home. I went out there and didn't see her. I ran inside when I saw her head come up and grabbed penicillan and Valbazen. Went out there and she could barely lift her head up so no struggle this time. She looks better today. It's really cool, like under 80 today. She does not do well in the heat either.

So this morning, I noticed her daughter, Anabelle, had a puffy jaw. So grabbed some more wormer and just took everything out there with me. The little ewe, Adalaide, came to me first and I felt her jaw and it was puffy too. So I gave her the wormer. I could not catch Anabelle. I will try again in a few minutes. She's a wild one.

So Monday morning I am going to get fecals and take to the vet. I am so tired of all this. I am so ready to get rid of all the sheep right now. This is not fun. And it's been raining today so my mower guy can't mow. The grass is really high. I can hardly see the sheep out there. I think I'll just bring them all inside the chicken yard and leave them there and feed them hay for awhile.

I have heard of the Panacur. I need to get some. That may be what the vet gives me. I should just brinf Lucinda with me. And I want to breed the ewes but they are probably not well enough right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  4:38:21 PM  Show Profile
We had troubles with our goats over the winter.
It can be very frustrating. I was feeling the same way you are.
We finally wormed them waited 10 days wormed them waited 10 days and wormed them again.
We have not had any problems after that.

We do give probiotic as well just to help their rumen with all the meds.
I have not used Valbazen but it is suppose to work really well.
If you have been using it on your sheep for a while they may be building up resistance.

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2012 :  04:46:40 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear about the paracite problems. Have your vet get your sheep on a deworming rotation. Paracites can become immune to dewormers. Depending on the time of year there can be a different.
paracite issue. Some paracites will not respond to certain dewormers. I'd also like to clarify the difference between sterilize and sanitize. When something is sterilized, it has been wrapped in some kind of

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2012 :  04:56:13 AM  Show Profile
Covering and placed in a machine that amounts to a pressure cooker and heated above the boiling point to kill off bacteria, viruses, spores, and molds. Sanitizing is taking a chemical, like bleach, and.wipe down nonpouroused .surfaces. . Most farm supply places have some kind of plastic boot covering if you are worried about guests bringing in something from another farm.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2012 :  5:52:32 PM  Show Profile
http://kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com/2012/09/sad-news-this-morning.html

I thought a long time before I posted this blog post here. I will know more in a few days. My 2 ewe lambs need prayer right now that they will make it through the night. I am going to move them all next door in the morning so it will be easier to catch them in the stall when the vet comes to check them all.

Thank you all for your good thoughts and advice. I do not need to be told to call a vet right now because I will be. I wish I had done this last week but really thought I could pull her out of it again. But I guess she was just too weak from having gone through this a few too many times already. Her body just couldn't take any more. I know I am not a vet. I don't know much. But I know what's worked before and I try that. It just didn't work this time. This is the first animal I have had to die. And it hurts really bad. So please go easy on me. I can't take too much more. I just want others to know how serious this is and how deadly if left untreated.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2012 :  6:02:13 PM  Show Profile
oh Kris,
I'm so sorry, I will say a little sheep prayer for you babies. I do so hope they make it through the night. So so sorry. Please let me know.

Teri

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2012 :  6:46:50 PM  Show Profile
I am sorry for your loss.

We have lost ewes over the years and it is never easy.

Please don't beat yourself up. Raising livestock is not always easy and there will be losses, with or without a vet.
You did your best to pull her through.
I hope that your lambs make it!

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2012 :  7:01:05 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I have been lucky enough to not have barber pole, but I know how devastating it can be. We are not judging; we are your friends. Hang in there. Praying for you & your furries!
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  02:43:02 AM  Show Profile
Sorry about your loss.

Another piece of advice regarding purchasing livestock, before introducing new animals to your herd, always quarrenteen them for at a minimum of 2 weeks. During those. 2 weeks get a complete physical on them

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  06:43:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kris- I know you take great care of your animals- you can see how healthy and loved they are in your pictures. Don't beat yourself up about it. It happenes. I hope you get the barber poles under control for your herd. What a devestating creature! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  06:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't suppose there is anyway to let the infected pasture rest for a year? I know that is probably very unlikely but that is the only other thing I could see that was not indicated by what you were discussing you were already doing.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  09:51:13 AM  Show Profile
I just got back from the vet. They took blood and a fecal sample. Ran those. He came in and said they only saw 2 worm larva. But he said her red blood count was 9 out of a 35. Really low. And if she is that low the rest more than likely are low. So he said to give all of them 1 oz of Red Cell every day for 2 weeks. Then bring her back in for another blood test to see if this is helping. He said other than a blood transfusion, he didn't know what else to do besides the Red Cell. So went to the co op and they had a gallon size for only $17. He had given me a big huge syringe to use. I will also give them kale to eat if they will. That's high iron and good stuff. I wish my spinach would grow so they could have some of that too.

I will also give this to the goats. I'm sure they are low as well. It can only help.

I'm so glad I went to the vet. He also said that since we are keeping the pasture mowed, the worms should be dead. Or the larvae. So I will keep the sheep off that pasture for these next 2 weeks while I am giving them the red cell. Then put them back over there after it's mowed again. They just can't keep up with the growth. And hopefully they will improve and by next month will be ready to breed. I want to make sure they are healthy and have a better immune system before I start the breeding. I may even wait til November just to make sure.

Last night before going to bed, I went out and checked on the 2 lambs. Adalaide's whole head was huge. So I went back and got some Ivomec and gave her more of that. I thought for sure she's be dead this morning. But her and Anabelle just had a little tiny puffiness under their jaws. I was so happy to see that. So no more worm meds for awhile. I'll just be rotating every 3 weeks. I'll have the ram pasture soon too so more room then. I'm going to make an appointment for them at the butcher soon.

So thank you all again for the prayers and nice comments. I know we've all gone through times like this and it's never easy. Now I know I could have saves Lucinda if I had gone to the vet sooner. Just one of those "live and learn" situations. Next time, I go to the vet.

Alee, the girl at the co op gives the Red Cell to her horses several times a year and right before the foal. She has big horses.

Lorena, I do that when I buy new animals. Just have to be careful. The 2 new lambs came from the same place I got Lucinda and Darla. I've gotten 4 ewes from her.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  10:54:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Kris, so sorry you lost your girl! :( (((HUGS)))

Red Cell is good stuff and should really help with the anemia. It probably wouldn't hurt to give them some fortified B complex and some probiotics, too.

Hope things get better for you soon!

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Barber Pole worms. 9-24-12 Up to 24%! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page