Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Barber Pole worms. 9-24-12 Up to 24%!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Barber Pole worms. 9-24-12 Up to 24%! Next Topic
Page: of 2

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  12:00:10 PM  Show Profile
Well Kris,
It is all a learning process ... Like I said ... no matter what anyone says, rotate, rotate rotate and cut.
I'm glad that you found out that they were low, now you can be proactive on that. And glad to hear the lambs are doing better.
As a shepherdess I always love the winter and cold months the best! They are the least stressful for sheep.
Take good care of them lambs, and keep us updated.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  4:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Kris I hope things get better. Sounds like your on the right track. Red cell really builds up the blood supply pretty quick. I fought baber pole over the years. They are the worst worm to deal with. I gave ivomec inject. every 10 days. When they first started I gave it to them 3 days straight. If you use the Valbazen make sure you don't use it once they are bred. Call me if you need or want to I am here for you. Hugs to you friend.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Sep 10 2012 4:44:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  6:22:29 PM  Show Profile
Lindsey, forgot to say the vet said to give them B Complex too. I have some of that. I was going to give Adaliade a shot of that last night but didn't. I'm kind of glad now so we could see what was going on. I have given all the rams both things this afternoon. And Darla, the pig ewe. Gave Adalaide the Red Cell but not the shot yet. I will start in the morning with all the sheep in the stall. My daughter is here awhile so she is going to write down names in a book so I can keep track of who got theirs already and how much.

I am going to give the goats this treatment too. I am wondering now if this is why Adabelle is so lethargic most of the time and so slow. She almost falls asleep in the stanchion. So gave all the does theirs tonight.

I am not looking forward to 2 weeks of this. Goats aren't so bad. These sheep are not easy to deal with when they know something's up. So wish me luck.

If anyone is good at math, I have 11 sheeo and 9 goats. That's 20 animals that will need 1 oz. each per day for 14 days. That's 280 oz. So how many oz. in a gallon? I think I will need another gallon. It was only $17 at the co-op. Not too awful bad. And the vet gave me a big huge drench typw syringe. I smell like Red Cell right now. I need a shower.

Plus I am so allergic to the animals. My arms are all broke out for when I have my arms around their necks holding them. I mean big welts. And itchy too. And I am sneezing so hard I almost wet my pants. I hate that. So I think I need some allergy meds.

Teri, I know that Lucinda and Abraham, the 2 darkest sheep, liked the cool weather more. They would just sit in the shade all day when it was so hot. I felt so bad for them. So I don't want any more dark sheep. The white sheep can handle it better.

Linda, thanks for telling me about the Valbazen and pregnacy. I am going to wait til I know they are good and healthy before I even think about breeding this fall. I might have to wait til November. I want them well. I just hope the rams don't get any ideas about jumping the fence. They are in the same area but there's a fence between them. I need to call for an appointment with the butcher soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  8:02:29 PM  Show Profile
I think there is 128 oz. in a gallon. If its not too hot where you are put a long sleeve lightweight shirt on before you handle those ewes again. Hopefully your arms won't break out quite so bad. I know sheep can be quite hard to give meds to. I had wool sheep for 14 years and they wore me out. I had a few that were tame and were not to bad but the shetlands were the hardest. Good look kristin and keep your chin up. You'll get through this and they should start improving each day.Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  2:19:04 PM  Show Profile
Linda, you are so smart. I did put on one of my husbands long sleeve Harley shirts this morning. It helped!

But I wish I had some armor. And a helmet and gloves and a pillow to land on when I was knocked on my back by one of the sheep. There has got to be a better way to give a sheep meds. I have a 10x10 stall with a door. I feed them in there. So when I need to do something, they are in a small area. And it's supposed to be easier to catch them. Well, NOT! I had gotten all the syringes ready with the B complex shots. Had all the names written down in a notebook. Had my daughter standing outside ready to hand me what I needed when I caught one. She did great! Then after each sheep was done, I'd let that one out. Then I was down to 3 ewe lambs. I forgot the last few are the hardest to catch because there is more room to run away from me. So I left those 3 in. I was thrown on my back by one of the bigger sheep. Almost broke a leg with a smaller ewe. Almost whacked my hands against the wall several times. I feel like I have been tackled by a professional football team right now. I am SORE and TIRED! I do not want to do this for 13 more days! There has to be a better way.

So tomorrow I will take 8 oz. of the Red Cell and mix it in their feed. I read that on the bottle. I'll go ahead and fix all their feed bowls and then let them inside the stall. I'll give them the shot of B Complex every 3 days. I can't even think about having to go through this again right now. The rams were a little easier but still like trying to get on a wild bull in a rodeo.

But they all seem to be doing a little better. And the goats too. But this ain't fun at all. I sure do need a catch pen with a head gate if I will be doing this a lot. I'll talk to my carpenter friends about making one. That would be so nice to have.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  2:33:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris,
oh yeah been there done that ... and at 57 I'm just a bit to old to be knocked to the ground.
Hubby built me a catch pen and it works great! You might be able to do the same thing.How it work is that the gates wrk to bring them in to a small area. By small I me dog crate size! My vet loves it. Your gate has to swing in not out. If it swings in, you can use the gate to push them behind it. and keep them there. As for the opening where you gate was, maybe you could use a piece of goat fencing.
It is not easy! But, just be careful, I fracture the bone under my knee ... and I can't afford any more body damage! Thats why hubby built that for me.
Good luck!

Teri

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  4:55:34 PM  Show Profile
I know, Teri. I am too old to get hurt. And I need to be all in one piece so I can do all this work around here.

I was outside with the sheep just now and y'all, Adaliade has broken her back right ankle. It is broken. I bet it must have happened this morning in all the mass confusion in the stall. I feel horrible. Now there is no way that I am doing all that again with her in there. She is putting a little weight on it but I can tell it's bending when she walks. It might heal on it's own or I can try to put a brace on it. But With all that poor baby has been through the past few days, I think I should wait a bit. Any suggestions for this one now? I have had a goat kid break a leg last year. I had to get it set and casted and keep her put up to keep it dry. That was a pure old head ache. Or should I just leave her alone and see if it heals back on it's own? I am trying to be as calm as possible around her to keep her from bolting.

Good grief! There is always something around here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  08:19:18 AM  Show Profile
Adalaide seems to be ok this morning. She's walking on her foot now. Could have been a stress fracture maybe? And I mixed 8 oz of the Red Cell in with their feed this morning. The 2 little does are in with them so put some for them too. They ate every bit. At first they just sniffed but then they ate it all. So I think this is the way we will go with the Red Cell. It's just too stressful and crazy trying to catch eack one. Until I can get a catch pen made anyway.

I moved the rams over next door and let the ewes in the front pasture. They had eaten down the other area real fast. So I really need to make sections so they aren't all over the place and stay in one area at a time for a few days.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  11:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When we had to give shots at the vet to pigs and such that did not like getting caught- we would rope them in front and the person giving the shot would let the animal back up right to them and give them the shot. Another thing you could do is ask the vet if the b complex can be squirted on the food as well. I take b complex vitamins and I absorb it very well that way- maybe your animals would too? I know they make an oral paste for horses.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  3:00:55 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
Any time they come up lame I pen them and check it out ... most ti,e a rock is in the hooves. If you want I will take photos of how my catch pen works ... You moight be able to make a make shift one for now. The object is to make their space as small as they are. Really does help so much.

Teri

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  10:25:48 AM  Show Profile
Took Adelaide back to the vet this morning and her red blood cell count is at 24%!! Up from 9% 2 weeks ago! So that's some really good news. He said he'd like to see it at least to 30% soon. And he wants to do another fecal before I think about any worming again. Which I hope will eb a long time away. I'm having the pastures mowed then I'll let them rest a week. Then start thinking about breeding soon!

Teri, I would love to see a picture of your catch pen. Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  10:43:26 AM  Show Profile
Okay Kris,
I will go take the photos now ... message me with your e mail addy so I can send them off direct to you.

Teri

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  12:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That IS good news! I am so glad the Red Cell is working!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Barber Pole worms. 9-24-12 Up to 24%! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page